VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

261 - 280 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
That looks great Pete! Much easier when you only have the one bike to fit in there. Can't wait to see the full sofa layout when you get it built (y)
Unfortunately I end up with the g/f's bike and my daughters (if she's coming riding with us) so they have to go in front to back.
Looking forward to heading out to Morzine this summer to test out if we all fit with camping & DH gear onboard!
I'm thinking a roof box or trailer might be in need as we plan to sleep overnight at the Aires to break up the trip down.
Last time I drove I had a Passat estate and was in massive envy of all the other vans parked up being able to get a proper lie-down sleep rather than reclining the drivers seat as far as it'd go and barely sleeping! Also had the worry of having the bikes on display on the roof rack.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
That looks good Pete , like you say snug but not wasting valuable living space so win win in my books (y) .
We did go and look at bigger motorhomes but weren't impressed with any of them (other than being able to stand upright inside) .
Didnt like any of the ducato,relay,boxer vans the build quality looks questionable.
So the only option left now is to go look at the new crafter vans and see what we think .
Thanks mate, my years of technical design are certainly paying off with this build, not rushing it and constantly checking / reworking my design to get exactly what I want (y)
Crafter would get my vote, having looked at some of the conversions done to them, they're amazing, especially when you have a wet room built in ??
Looking good - love how snug and secure the bike is there in the back. Big props to whoever invented quick release wheels! Haha.
Excited to see the bed plans ?
Thanks mate, I did initially buy the van with the intention of fitting the bike without having to remove anything, but my plans soon changed after joining this forum and see what is possible furniture wise ?
Which version? I'm on version 6 now...I think ? I need to rework my solidworks model following last weekend, then I may post up some images ?
That looks great Pete! Much easier when you only have the one bike to fit in there. Can't wait to see the full sofa layout when you get it built (y)
Unfortunately I end up with the g/f's bike and my daughters (if she's coming riding with us) so they have to go in front to back.
Looking forward to heading out to Morzine this summer to test out if we all fit with camping & DH gear onboard!
I'm thinking a roof box or trailer might be in need as we plan to sleep overnight at the Aires to break up the trip down.
Last time I drove I had a Passat estate and was in massive envy of all the other vans parked up being able to get a proper lie-down sleep rather than reclining the drivers seat as far as it'd go and barely sleeping! Also had the worry of having the bikes on display on the roof rack.
Cheers mate, there's room for a second bike behind the front seats should someone come with me. but fundamentally it's just me, myself and I. If circumstances change, I may look into a barn door bike rack, not idea as like you I'm not keen on the bike being on display.
Can't wait to get the sofa bed done so I can start camping, and get that photo that started me on this path :cool:

On a side note, just noticed I've hit 1000 posts in 9 months ? hopefully some of them were of some value ?

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
A little update, a couple of times after heavy rain I've found water in the drivers side step, looking at the seal running over the A pilar, it looks rather tired and down right squished, so ordered more of the door seal I fitted to the doors and fitted it over the weekend. Seems to have done the job and sounds even more like a Golf ?
Swivel base should be delivered tomorrow so will try fitting that at the weekend along with swapping out the passenger side A pilar seal.
Need to get back onto designing my sofa bed as it's getting ever closer to the warmer weather and the start of the season ☀???

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Finally made a start on the sofa bed over the weekend, having gone through 5 or 6 designs I figured I should just start to build and design as I go, so begin building up frames out of 2x2" timbers, all dry fixed only currently in case I want to tweak anything.
Building the first frame and test fit...

Onto the rest...

Mocking up...

Testing a temporary seat base with the table...

Millimeter perfect 😁

Yesterday I finished off the wheel arch frame and dry fixed all into place. Took a bit of work to make sure everything lined up as I haven't got the facing panels cut yet. Got there in the end.

Next will be working on the extension design, so making the frames and base panels. Not too much longer and I'll be able to go camping...on the drive. :oops:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Good work (y) .
Are you working on a slide type thing for the extension?
We have a massive drawer that pulls out to support the lower end of the bed and also acts as much needed storage space.
Alot of other people use 'really useful ' plastic boxes that stuff underneath the bed frame which i think work really well also .
Originally we used mdf for the top but it started to sag so swapped it for ply .
Watching with interest :geek:

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
Thanks bud 😁
I'm trying to make a corner sofa bed, but with the furniture in, it's hard to make the design work while retaining strength in the structure. The 2 frames that are installed are static so the centre section is what will extend, it's 850mm wide so comfortable for me seeing as when I camped in the van last year my air bed was only 720mm wide.
The base and back rest will be 15mm thick birch ply slats to a) keep weight down to a minimum and b) allow the cushions to breath. I'll have full access for storage underneath via hinge doors in keeping with the rest of the furniture.
I just need to check what sheet material I have at work so I can cut the slats ready for the build. Today is potentially my last day at work so want to make sure I have everything I need.
This is my first real carpentry project, I'm a technical design manager so not really hands on, but think it's going quite well so far 😇
Looking forward to getting onto the next bit now.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Just 2x2 ,ply and a load of screws should see you through for now ...( a chop saw ,and a decent cordless multidrill would be a bonus) I miss not having a workshop (or even a garage) but i still have a bit of kit , just having access to this makes every job sooo much easier.
Looks like youve got it all sorted mate . .... now crack on (y)

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Just found a piece of 18mm ply so will use that and adjust my build to suit. I've only got the basics at home so making full use of the machines and resources at work (y) Will get the slats cut to size and a few lengths of timber than start building, oh and some piano hinges.
I'd love a garage, have got a summer house and tatty shed in the back garden, I'm tempted to rip them down and build a worktop for tinkering in. A lot of the work was done in the van like cutting, drilling and building, not ideal and makes a mess but I got there. Am nothing if not resourceful 😂

·
Registered
120 Posts
Van is looking great mate, really nice job!
i was the same with my bed, kind of made it up as I went along, works well but a bit rough and ready. Maybe a redesign/rebuild later in the year, see how it goes.

Know what you mean about having a nice workshop to this stuff, all my ‘converting’ had to be done on the drive in the lovely winter weather. Carpeting panels in 50mph winds, dodging showers was a hoot... 😂

Best thing I did when making the bed was buy this...

made life soooo much easier!

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Thanks mate, it's getting there. I was stood on my drive over the weekend cutting timber down and making the frames, strong winds made it interesting and darn cold! Still we persevere and carry on.
If I do build a workshop in the back garden I think I'll be investing in a table saw, all timbers were cut perfectly on the saw at work, then I went at them with a hand saw :oops: Not a bad job but why make things harder hey.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
I've borrowed a pair of Dewalt drills from work so I can pilot the hole then drill the screw in rather than using one drill and having to change the bit every 10 seconds!:oops:
They are some seriously good pieces of kit, I think I'm going to invest in some myself.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Update...
Been a busy old weekend tinkering with me van but have made some great progress.
Saturday I fitted the new rear lights, only a 10 minute job but such an improvement...
Before...

I have a video but can't seem to upload it :unsure:
Anyhoo, onto my next project...the sofabed, back out but this time making the slats...

Then some test fitting to make sure my sizes worked out (y)

And that was me done for the day as beer was calling.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
So today I was out making more frames...

Then fixed the slat panels in place using piano hinge...

Then fitted the frames that will extend with the bed and a temporary front panel, and here it is...😁

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Anyone for dinner? 😁

Also fitted a headboard so I don't fall out bed 🤕

Still got finishing touches and replace the grey panels with nice oak / lime green, but can't do those till I[m back in work, but for now I can sit and sleep in there. Am chuffed with the results, to think 10 months ago it was an open backed van with windows and now it is a Tin Tent 🥳
Thanks to everyone who offered help and advise , wouldn't have got this far without this forum and it's members 🥂
Hopefully meet up with some of y'all for a beer (y)

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Well done Pete looks like youve had a productive weekend 👏 .
Camping in the driveway tonight? :cool:
Thanks mate, yeah been busy, even managed to get a little sun burn on both days 🥵
Not tonight, but soon yeah. One big step closer to waking up, throwing open the door to a sea view 😎

261 - 280 of 371 Posts