VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Pduk's White T5.1 'R' Evolution Thread

104K views 1K replies 59 participants last post by  Pduk 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, this past weekend I bought myself a 2013 T5.1 Transporter van T: It's the first one I've owned so currently learning fast about them and what's possible regarding modifications, it appears there is a lot! :eek:

Here's how she looked after I gave her a good bath...

Already got a long list of things I want to do, but slowly working through that.

Already fitted wing deflectors and bought a new gear knob and gaitor as the current one is looking a little tired. Also got new number plates on order and ice white interior lights to make a little start on making her mine.

Literally just ordered H&R lowering springs from Chilli Jam Vans after so many raving reviews about them on here, can only echo their excellent service and help with advising what will work for the van. (y)

Looking to replace the front seats and the lovely chequer board flooring :eek:.

The plan is to kit the back out to house a mtb and my kit which I'll design at work, may also include a single bed with storage underneath. The possibilities are endless!

Any questions / advice is very welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Pete :cool:

Mods so far:

Exterior

Gloss black wing mirrors.
Wind deflectors.
Gloss black vinyl detail to front bumper.
Lime green detailing to front grilles.
Lime green & silver Sportline decals to mirror covers.
Gloss black abs front splitter.
Red rim detail removed.
Gloss black rear bumper protector.
Gloss black side decals.
R side decals.
Gloss black rear door handle trim.
Bonnet gas strut.
Gloss black DRL's.
Gloss black honeycombe grill.
Lime green mirror bases.
Barn door windows.
Sliding window in sliding door.
Side skirts.
Front mudflaps.

Interior
Upgraded interior lighting to cool white leds.
Better looking gearknob & gaiter.
"T5" & "Sportline" printed dash button blanks.
Diamond black steering wheel trims.
Diamond black door handles.
Dark oak vinyl flooring.
Carpet wrapped divider panel.
Silver and chrome gearknob insert.
New side entrance step panel.
2nd set of front door seals.
VW gloss black door lock pins.
Golf Mk7 R multifunction steering wheel.
Needle sweep enabled.
Auto headlight switch installed.
Windscreen / dash trim.
Full width rear threshold trim.
Side window curtains.
Rear storage.
Pull out sofa bed.
Golf Mk7 R front seats.
Chrome interior door handles.
Xtrons headunit.
Tartan gear stick gaiter.
Golf Mk7 R rear seats.
Gloss black dash trim.

Performance & Handling
Lowered on 50mm H&R springs.
Revo 170bhp remap :cool:
Forge boost hose kit.

See less See more
#296 ·
Hi Danny, thanks for the positive feedback (y) I'm actually ok with the blue thanks, still need to fit the intercooler ones but was waiting for the warmer weather so the bumper plastic is more flexible. Only question is, while I have the bumper off, should I order and fit the Forge cooler? :unsure:
It depends on whether you're looking to remap your van, if you are then the extra pressure going through the pipes can cause them to distort and restrict airflow (on standard rubber hoses) where as silicone ones are a lot stronger so only help the engine to breathe. If you're staying with standard power, they will still help the engine's airflow, but you'd not notice any difference really. There is of course the bling factor. :cool:
If I'm honest, depending what your plans are with your van, I'd concentrate of the furniture, storage etc first. Make sure you fire up a build thread of your own so we can follow your progress.
Any questions, just ask and I'll help where I can mate.

#298 ·
Not strictly true that pete
A standard 204bhp van rolls out of the factory with rubber hoses and ive seen vans with 300+bhp on stock hoses
The reason i bought forge silicon hoses was because a whole set of 4 was cheaper than 2 genuine oe hoses
And of course because they were red ;)

#297 ·
Thanks Pete, I am very envious of your set up :) I know its taken a lot of hard work and planning!
Some mods had been done to the van when I bought it to include Revo remap to 140bhp, Lowered on Bilstein 14s, carpeted and DIY pullout bed, windows on side panels, 5.1 front end and it came with 20 Range Rover wheels that I had swapped with some 17 banded steels for now, the ride is better but not all that great.

I want it for an adventure van that I can take away and ride the bike with the odd night I can stay in it but not necessarily cook. I would just like to make the engine and ride as good as it can be for a start so that's why I am thinking hoses. Was it a tricky job to replace? Is there a kit that you buy?
I am not thinking Forge cooler yet but if I do fogs and need the bumper off I could be tempted with the 170 remap and cooler upgrade :unsure:

Thanks again for your time.

#300 ·
Thanks Pete, I am very envious of your set up :) I know its taken a lot of hard work and planning!
Some mods had been done to the van when I bought it to include Revo remap to 140bhp, Lowered on Bilstein 14s, carpeted and DIY pullout bed, windows on side panels, 5.1 front end and it came with 20 Range Rover wheels that I had swapped with some 17 banded steels for now, the ride is better but not all that great.

I want it for an adventure van that I can take away and ride the bike with the odd night I can stay in it but not necessarily cook. I would just like to make the engine and ride as good as it can be for a start so that's why I am thinking hoses. Was it a tricky job to replace? Is there a kit that you buy?
I am not thinking Forge cooler yet but if I do fogs and need the bumper off I could be tempted with the 170 remap and cooler upgrade :unsure:

Thanks again for your time.
I do over think things...a lot! But if I'm honest, there's a few things I would change if I was starting from scratch, but it's my first go so very much learning as I go. I've no doubt over the coming months / years I'll be tweaking my set up.
Have you got the receipt for the Revo map? Only thinking that you may be able to get your van on the 170 map for a cheaper price, especially when you get the intercooler at the same time ;)...might be worth a phone call to your local authorised dealer.
I've got a portable gas hob for cooking, boiling water etc for cups of tea in the morning. Basically the things you would take while camping in a tent, only mine is a "Tin Tent" (y)
I've only fitted the boost hose, was a bit fiddly as you have to move some other components out of the way to access the clamps, I'm no mechanic but managed it on my drive. Here's a link to them, seem to be the best price.
Sounds like you've already got a decent van, make sure to set up a build thread mate (y)
Not strictly true that pete
A standard 204bhp van rolls out of the factory with rubber hoses and ive seen vans with 300+bhp on stock hoses
The reason i bought forge silicon hoses was because a whole set of 4 was cheaper than 2 genuine oe hoses
And of course because they were red ;)
I've always seen that the majority of tuned vehicles opt for silicone hoses because they withstand higher temperatures and pressures, the reason they don't come stock on vehicles is mainly down to cost, not to mention if the oe hoses fail, people not in the know will go back to the garage for like for like replacements in turn making the original manufacturer more Wonga. Stick some silicone ones in and they'll last and last and last.
Certainly didn't know the oe ones were as expensive though, but to be honest if something fails on my car / van I'd always look to upgrade rather then simply replace 😁
Ouch! :p ...some of us are still at work you know.
In all fairness we have been and fetched the stuff from the lock-up to to this little job and even had today off but decided it was too hot and faffed in the garden instead . :cool:
Maybe one day :rolleyes:
Sorry bud I'm only messing 😁
Well at least the stuff is now at home, that's a step in the right direction. It is a pain to do but looks so much better. (y)

#301 ·
Update 😁
With the lockdown I've not been able to do much more but after ummming and arrring over this next upgrade I finally bit the bullet and placed an order...
Car seat cover Vehicle Car seat Car Family car
Sitting Car Vehicle

Thankfully my cat seems to approve. Absolutely mint condition. Decided on fabric as not having ac leather gets rather unpleasant on hot days, plus I want to be held in the seat. The colours are very similar to my interior trims and the R matched my steering wheel. 😁
Time to design the brackets to make them fit, assuming I need to, will check in a bit. Still need to order a passenger seat base but thankfully it looks like the drivers is just bolted on.
Can't wait to get them in. 🥳

#305 ·
Am well chuffed mate, supportive, comfy and really nice fabric. Definitely the right choice for my build. 😁
Not sure I'll be able to sell the rears and door cards so might see if I can transplant any other nice bits into the van.

#307 ·
Was literally just in the garden looking at that, might even be able to used the internal door handles, they look pretty similar.
Also whilst going through the centre console, I found 45p! Result 😁

#308 ·
Perfect fit, don't even need to modify it (y)

I reckon if I cut it between the storage and gear stick surround to shorten it, then build a plinth so it raises up and allows me to use the armrest, plinth will have a front and back to hide the open areas. This will be quite a funky unique install, if I do it right.
Also measured the runners on new and existing seats, new are wider so I'll need to make some extensions.

Door handles door look the same so will see about swapping them out, if this works I'll potentially have a second set if anyone's interested, they're matt chrome.

#310 ·
Once I know they'll swap over you can have them mate (y)
This morning I constructed my very expensive spray booth to begin work on my lower mirror trims...

Still waiting on the paint to turn up before I can add some colour.

#314 ·
You could get the primer coats down mate, that's where I've had to stop.
Thanks mate 👍

Just a thought but is the console gonna get in the way of swiveling the new seats ? :unsure:
The handles unfortunately don't fit, not even with some modifying so that was annoying, but now I know how to remove the door cards! Had another brain wave after refitting everything, maybe the electric window switches are the same, so door card back off, stripped down the switches AND...they're not interchangeable either :oops: I'm now thinking of making some coat hooks out of the handles for something a little different. I've now ordered some chrome handles from Travelin-Lite as they do look much better than the grey plastic.
If you want 2 I can try and get them in the post, assuming post offices are still open :unsure:
Yeah it will, had the same thought shortly after mocking it up, having to think of options now as I definitely want to swivel the passenger seat at the very least, once I get the seats in I'll have a better view of how things can work.
very impressive work mate, like what your doing. Taking advantage of the lockdown like me lol

Out of interest what rear lights are they you put on ? are they led sequential ones ?

Your center console idea looks interesting. I couldn't do that as i swivel the passenger seat loads and i use the gap to climb into the back without having to get out the van
Thanks mate, yeah got to find the positives in such a surreal time. I dare say the postal services are stretched as everyone will be placing online orders for things to keep themselves busy and jobs done.
Yes mate, these from Transporter HQ, a doddle to fit and look great (not that I can see them while driving) but I feel help the van look less commercial.
Not sure I can make it work as I'll be fitting a passenger swivel, it's a shame as the console etc is so well made, would have been a very nice upgrade for the van.

#313 ·
very impressive work mate, like what your doing. Taking advantage of the lockdown like me lol

Out of interest what rear lights are they you put on ? are they led sequential ones ?

Your center console idea looks interesting. I couldn't do that as i swivel the passenger seat loads and i use the gap to climb into the back without having to get out the van

#321 ·
Update...
Today's efforts, trial fitting the new seats and work out what size crossrails I need, pretty straight forward actually, will mock up using mdf then get either steel plate or box section made.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Car seat cover Car seat
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Car seat Car seat cover

Although, 2" x 2" timber is pretty dark strong and much easier to work with 😁
Vehicle Car Family car Subcompact car

Also been adding coats to my wing mirror trims, may fit them tomorrow of Saturday so they have plenty of time to cure.

#323 ·
I think 2x2 is the way forward [emoji16].
Finally got my wet and dry [emoji3060] .
Just imagine if I got stopped by the police for any reason, reckon I could get them to believe they’re wood effect steel bars? [emoji23]
Time to get cracking then mate!
My new interior door handles arrived and my mirror covers are about ready so will get some jobs done today [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#324 ·
Update...
Fitted my interior handles, nice little upgrade over the standard black textures one.

Need to find a way of removing the scratches on the door cards.
Also my wing mirror lower trims are being baked by Mother Nature herself, possible install tomorrow.

Not massive update but little touches to make the van less commercial and more personal [emoji106]

#326 ·
Thanks mate, will hopefully get round to fitting them today as they should be fully cured by now, got the outer bezel to fit on the drivers side which was damaged before I bought the van.

#329 ·
Starting to mock up the passenger swivel seat (finally), the instructions aren’t exactly great but I powered on.
Swivel is on the base, just running through my head how to cross rails will work with the swivel and of course the new seats...

I appear to have a problem!

Just hope I’ve got a sharp enough tool. Then on with mocking up in the van tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.