VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Pduk's White T5.1 'R' Evolution Thread

104K views 1K replies 59 participants last post by  Pduk 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, this past weekend I bought myself a 2013 T5.1 Transporter van T: It's the first one I've owned so currently learning fast about them and what's possible regarding modifications, it appears there is a lot! :eek:

Here's how she looked after I gave her a good bath...

Already got a long list of things I want to do, but slowly working through that.

Already fitted wing deflectors and bought a new gear knob and gaitor as the current one is looking a little tired. Also got new number plates on order and ice white interior lights to make a little start on making her mine.

Literally just ordered H&R lowering springs from Chilli Jam Vans after so many raving reviews about them on here, can only echo their excellent service and help with advising what will work for the van. (y)

Looking to replace the front seats and the lovely chequer board flooring :eek:.

The plan is to kit the back out to house a mtb and my kit which I'll design at work, may also include a single bed with storage underneath. The possibilities are endless!

Any questions / advice is very welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Pete :cool:

Mods so far:

Exterior

Gloss black wing mirrors.
Wind deflectors.
Gloss black vinyl detail to front bumper.
Lime green detailing to front grilles.
Lime green & silver Sportline decals to mirror covers.
Gloss black abs front splitter.
Red rim detail removed.
Gloss black rear bumper protector.
Gloss black side decals.
R side decals.
Gloss black rear door handle trim.
Bonnet gas strut.
Gloss black DRL's.
Gloss black honeycombe grill.
Lime green mirror bases.
Barn door windows.
Sliding window in sliding door.
Side skirts.
Front mudflaps.

Interior
Upgraded interior lighting to cool white leds.
Better looking gearknob & gaiter.
"T5" & "Sportline" printed dash button blanks.
Diamond black steering wheel trims.
Diamond black door handles.
Dark oak vinyl flooring.
Carpet wrapped divider panel.
Silver and chrome gearknob insert.
New side entrance step panel.
2nd set of front door seals.
VW gloss black door lock pins.
Golf Mk7 R multifunction steering wheel.
Needle sweep enabled.
Auto headlight switch installed.
Windscreen / dash trim.
Full width rear threshold trim.
Side window curtains.
Rear storage.
Pull out sofa bed.
Golf Mk7 R front seats.
Chrome interior door handles.
Xtrons headunit.
Tartan gear stick gaiter.
Golf Mk7 R rear seats.
Gloss black dash trim.

Performance & Handling
Lowered on 50mm H&R springs.
Revo 170bhp remap :cool:
Forge boost hose kit.

See less See more
#361 ·
Update...
Nothing major, the vinyl on my wing mirror bases was starting to peel so I bought a spare pair and sprayed them up, also a replacement frame for the drivers side as it had been damaged before I bought the van, so yesterday I set about fitting them. What a job, I though 10 minutes max, took a few hours as once again I found some genius had broken the clips and used silicone to hole the drivers top cap on 🤯
Also I felt the Revo decals were a little too boy racer so opted for a nice couple of 'R's to follow the theme from my Golf R interior, looks much better now, tidier...

#364 ·
Thanks both, would love to go on an adventure 😔 hopefully not too long before we can get out properly again. In the meantime at least I can continue the conversion and get the bits I'll need for days away and camping (y)

#371 ·
Thanks mate (y)
Whats next on the list Pete?
Looks like another month before we can get out camping ....more time to do more 'stuff' meantime ;)
I went to Stanford Hall yesterday (not literally in the grounds) and went cycling round the countryside, such a lovely day and then chilled in the van, a very small taste of
Looking good mate like that alot 👍
Thanks Dan (y)
come on then whats next, cause i know there is one :)
I wish there was only one thing left 😂
It must be a biggee cuz he's keeping us waiting trying to build the tension ;) .
Saw a white one yesterday Pete with lime green poptop,front grille and even green wheels! 😮
Haha no just been busy enjoying the weekend with biking etc.
Sounds like ZuluGolfZulu's although I think you two are too far apart to see each other currently, there one local to me that has the same as you saw, only the green is more creamy, does look nice.
Presents itself well there buddy
Thanks, it's been quite a journey so far, can't believe it's been nearly a year since I bought her.

As for what's next, I need to replace the head unit as it stopped working, wanted to check the fuse but the manual doesn't actually show which fuse is for what part. Will have to do a tinternetweb search.

As for actual mods, now I'm back at work I'll be looking to get the panels cut to finish off my sofa bed, still waiting on a rug for the back (been over 6 weeks now) and I'll be looking to get windows fitted to my barn doors once the company opens up fully, would also like to get a sliding window fitted to my sliding door.
I'll be buying an awning soon so I can get out there once we're allowed, had originally decided to go for just a sun canopy but the more time I spent on here the more I steered towards a drive away awning, thanks again to everyone on here for helping spend my money 😂

The list goes on (obviously) but these are the next up, that being said no doubt I'll see a post on here or visit a website and see something I want / need / must have!

#372 ·
Headed out for a bike ride with the camper over the weekend, was just a cool feeling just chilling inside, made some of the passer bys look twice as I was facing the wrong way 🙃
Took a panoramic and a couple of pics for no other reason than...well cause I wanted to show off my work thus far 😜
Also fitted my canopy rail which required the holes opening up, but it's done, just got to trial run putting the canopy up.
Transport Vehicle Commercial vehicle Mode of transport Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Van Wheel

Vehicle Car Transport Mode of transport Car seat

#375 ·
Great looking interior! Of course, me being a Green Addict, I also love that counter top 🆒

Shame you couldn’t try out the new awning, but at least the cool looking Trek got a ride out (y)
Thanks mate, just need to finish off the sofa bed with facing panels in the oak and hinged access panels, also looking to add a storage cupboard along the sliding door so I can access little things while chilling under the canopy 😁 Also want to add in some creature comforts and decorations. Also as it's been pay day and being back at work and on 100% pay, it's time to get spending! 🤑
Yeah but not to worry, if I go where I'm planning this weekend there's a car park on grass so will be able to pitch there. My road bike is currently off the road with a puncture so enjoying bouncing around on the mtb (y)
Its good to get out mate and starts coming in to its own when you can start to realise the fruits of your labour 😎 .
Took our van shopping yesterday (washed it especially) got plenty of fellow dubbers waving .....oh its good to be back out in the bus !!
It certainly is, was the first proper time she was used as a camper, felt great! Planning on going somewhere this weekend for some safe exploring and chilling :cool: I must look a little nutty when people rode passed, sat there facing the wrong way with a smile on my face 🐿💩💨
Yeah I'm missing seeing other dubbers, before lockdown I would pass the same 1 or 2 each morning.

#382 ·
When I fitted my new Pioneer HU last year and connected the reversing camera I was left scratching my head for ages!! Had it originally plugged in to one of those rear view mirror screens fitted to the dash and it worked fine, fitted new HU, reverse camera not working, plugged back into old screen, working. Double checked in the destruction manual, online etc that I was plugging into right feed and sure that I was.
Phoned the supplier of HU, who also fit them, and they were left scratching their head.
Transpired that original setup (which I fitted) was +ve feed from reverse light and camera -ve grounded on a tailgate bolt which worked fine.
With the HU the camera needed -ve feed from the HU to work.
Luckily it was before I boarded/carpeted so easy enough to run the wiring

#383 ·
Ah, so for someone with ply lining, carpeting and furniture in the back it may pose a slight problem :eek: Will see how it goes when it arrives, I want to swap out my reversing camera too at some point as it's not exactly discrete.

#386 ·
Hopefully it's a simple plug and play with my original kit, but we'll see when it arrives.
Really like the stance. How does it ride on the H&R springs? I can imagine taking the MTB places the front splitter has been close a few times 😂 🙈
It rides well, like with any lowered vehicle speed bumps are a slow going over and the ride is firmer but so much better round corners etc. Coming from an Audi A5 S-line quattro which drove like it was on rails to a van was a bit of a shock but the springs have improved the driving feel. I'm not aware of being close with the splitter, I'm always aware of it so any uneven surface I take care and time to navigate about, so far so good (y) I do love how the T's look when lower still, but just wouldn't be practical with where I take the van.

#387 ·
On a side note, today marks 1 year to the day since I bought the van and started down this awesome journey. Yesterday I took her to the beach and had my first meal in the back, was so cool to actually use her as a camper, granted it was only a sandwich but still counts as lunch 😁 Spending time in the van just chilling has now added items to the "want list" which I knew it would, off to do some buying.
Looking forward to the coming years with camping trips 🥳🍻

#389 ·
It is a great feeling, plus another T5 parked infront of me ,lovely 2 tone white and olive mix. Both vans were getting plenty of attention off passers by 😁
I would have loved chips but I went away with the intent to keep to myself, plus I didn't think anywhere would be open, but the chippy was for take away only. Next time 🤤

#390 ·
Seems to be lots of places open for take away, we had gone for a walk in the Peak and went on the off chance to little cafe that does good food. Luckily it was open for take away.
Loving the camaraderie amoung T5 owners, a friendly wave or flash of the lights goes a long way!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.