VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

601 - 620 of 641 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #601
I honestly wasn’t shouting I was just all excited. 😉 not so much now I know I won’t be able to accomplish it.
Thanks anyway.
Drop me a pm with some photos of your bus and I'll see what I can do (y)
Cheers bud (y) Hope you're keeping well.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #602
Not been on here for a while for one reason and another but have been busy over the festive season working on the vamper / tin tent, what ever we call them...
Anyhoo here's how the interior looked pre Christmas...

Previous sofa bed out and stripped down...

Then the slow start to sofabed version 2.0...

Much cosier I think :unsure:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #603
I originally wanted an L shaped sofabed but with having cupboards I couldn't design it to work whilst retaining strength so that I didn't go through it first time I tried to sleep, hence why I went down the tried and tested slide forward design. After a few day trips (when we were allowed out) I just didn't feel comfortable when sat in the back, and seeing as this is meant to be a home from home, it has to be right for me, hence the do over.
So side bench now extends sideways...

Re-using one of the outer panels with access...

Not bad for a days work, and this time making it up as I go.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #604
Next up was to make the foot of the L, not 100% sure how the middle part would work I decided to make the fixed part that would mount to the tall cupboard...

While contemplating to to make the middle section work I made a splashback for the work top...

Also extended to front panel so it's full length...

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #605
The next step was building the middle section...

Then whist I couldn't get any more materials till work opened back up, I set about infilling where I could, anchoring everything down and better insulating the back...

Broke down the cupboard that sat infront of the sliding door and extended it to work with my new frame...

And this is how it stands...

So now I have a 1300 x 1200mm L shape sofa that can turn into an 800 x 2000mm bed...result!
Still need to make new panels to cover up all the timber frames, then order some foam and fabric to make the cushions / mattress.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #606
Oh and fitted front mud flaps to help protect my new skirts and bodywork...

Can also see my R centre caps I cobbled together, ties in nicely with the rest of my R theme.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
You were missed fella. Hope all ok with you. Good work on the changes. As you’ve said, it’s got to be right for you and the temptation must have been strong to leave what you had!
santa delivered some mudflats here so that’s a job for a dry day at some point!

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Love these style of L benches in conversions! Youve done a great job making the van seem like a home away from home. Nice work! Glad to see you back after so long👍

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #610
You were missed fella. Hope all ok with you. Good work on the changes. As you’ve said, it’s got to be right for you and the temptation must have been strong to leave what you had!
santa delivered some mudflats here so that’s a job for a dry day at some point!
Thanks Kingy, appreciate that (y)
I just found that when sitting on the old bench my head was nigh on touching the ceiling and felt I was sitting on a kings thrown, and as people walk past the front they will more than likely look in and see me appearing to be on the loo :oops:
Always liked the L layout, got one in my living room which is great for sprawling about. Once I get the new fascia panels and cushions sorted it should feel nice and cosy again.
I think the T's suit mudflaps where as you rarely see cars etc with them, but they serve a purpose and for less than £10 will hopefully offer decent protection. Should really clean her to see just how affective they.
Love these style of L benches in conversions! Youve done a great job making the van seem like a home away from home. Nice work! Glad to see you back after so long👍
Thanks Will, still lots to do but I'm having run again so the enthusiasm is back and progress is on. Hopefully will get a little more done this weekend.
You've made awesome progress with your set up too, keep it up.
welcome back bud! I'm liking the splashback... looks really neat n tidy. Interested to see your new layout complete.
Thanks Split (y) Splashback was a light bulb moment while figuring out the bench, just happened to look up and think a splashback would add some colour, hide the curtain rail and offer some protection to the fabric.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Thanks Kingy, appreciate that (y)
I just found that when sitting on the old bench my head was nigh on touching the ceiling and felt I was sitting on a kings thrown, and as people walk past the front they will more than likely look in and see me appearing to be on the loo :oops:
Always liked the L layout, got one in my living room which is great for sprawling about. Once I get the new fascia panels and cushions sorted it should feel nice and cosy again.
I think the T's suit mudflaps where as you rarely see cars etc with them, but they serve a purpose and for less than £10 will hopefully offer decent protection. Should really clean her to see just how affective they.

Thanks Will, still lots to do but I'm having run again so the enthusiasm is back and progress is on. Hopefully will get a little more done this weekend.
You've made awesome progress with your set up too, keep it up.

Thanks Split (y) Splashback was a light bulb moment while figuring out the bench, just happened to look up and think a splashback would add some colour, hide the curtain rail and offer some protection to the fabric.
Great to hear! Need to get myself back into gear to get everything fully finished as well!😂

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Good to see you're back Pete 👍 .
Another one that likes the splashback mate 😎.
I need to get ours in for a cam belt and sort some front pads next .....but its damn cold at the mo for playing outside with vans 🥶

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #613
Great to hear! Need to get myself back into gear to get everything fully finished as well!😂
Fully finished 😂 you do realise that day never comes. You get to a point where you think you're done, then you go on Insta and see someone else's build and then rip your out to start again...or is that just me?
Good to see you're back Pete 👍 .
Another one that likes the splashback mate 😎.
I need to get ours in for a cam belt and sort some front pads next .....but its damn cold at the mo for playing outside with vans 🥶
Thanks Drew, will try to be more active as I get back on track.
Lined up to do some more work on the van tomorrow, aiming to get all the frames paneled in so that'll look a lot better.
It's far too cold to be outside tinkering, even in the workshop it's bloody cold with no heating on.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Fully finished 😂 you do realise that day never comes. You get to a point where you think you're done, then you go on Insta and see someone else's build and then rip your out to start again...or is that just me?

Thanks Drew, will try to be more active as I get back on track.
Lined up to do some more work on the van tomorrow, aiming to get all the frames paneled in so that'll look a lot better.
It's far too cold to be outside tinkering, even in the workshop it's bloody cold with no heating on.
Well yes thats very true as ill never be fully finished!😂😂

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #615
Bit more work over the weekend, started off with bonding up some boards so I could cut the new fascia panels out...
IMG_2743.JPG

First was an infill to hit the wheel arch, had to scribe it in to match the contours of the van...
IMG_2744.JPG

Then out with the small frame so I could clad that, the blue tape is where I had to join panels to make wide enough ones to span the frame, certainly not carpentry level of finish but pretty good as I'm not usually on the benches but rather designing the kit...
IMG_2745.JPG

All covered...you'll also notice in many of the photos I kept getting photobombed by a pesky Pug 👋...
IMG_2746.JPG

Small storage box back in and rear of bench finished...
IMG_2747.JPG

IMG_2748.JPG

IMG_2749.JPG

Running low on materials again I managed to finish the removable centre section, and this is how is stands...
IMG_2750.JPG

Feckin' Pug at it again!
IMG_2751.JPG

Just got to devise a fixing method for the centre section so that when it's not in that position there are no floor brackets that could be stepped or knelt on. Also going to design a different centre section that will extend out the barn doors giving me a table to sit at on sunny days.
Foam and fabric next up too finish off the sofabed. Already got some throw cushions in my "to buy" list which will tie in perfectly with my theme.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
All coming together nicely, looks good mate 👍 .
A lot of people just have a rail mounted to the rear doors to clip the table to.
Reckon you might have to give the pug some new badges ;).

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #617
Thanks mate, I'm much happier with the layout this time round, will be much more comfy plus on sunny days out, the lack of back rest will allow much more light in.
Yeah I've seen that, would work nicely as my table fits to my cupboards via a fixed rail so could go this route.
Still got the roof to sort as it's still the crummy van lining.
The pug was on hire so it's no longer stalking my camper (y)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
When you said there was a pug photobombing your pics I thought you meant a dog - I was looking to see where it was! :LOL:
New layout looks really flexible - I'm guessing it'll make more space for the bike across the back too?
Can you not attach your centre section to the side bench(es) with a rectractable bolt or something?

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #619
When you said there was a pug photobombing your pics I thought you meant a dog - I was looking to see where it was! :LOL:
New layout looks really flexible - I'm guessing it'll make more space for the bike across the back too?
Can you not attach your centre section to the side bench(es) with a rectractable bolt or something?
Haha no it's the pesky van that kept watching what I was doing, nosy git!
Not tried the bike in yet but yeah should be easier to fit in, plus I now have full access throughout the back where as before I'd basically blocked off the rear if the seats where folded up.
Yeah was thinking shoot bolts or fancy hook / eye fittings. Will add some rubber feet to the base also to shop it wanting to move around on the vinyl floor.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Looks great @Pduk ! Really looks like something you'd buy of the shelf as a flat pack! Really great job! What are you doing for a bed/mattress now? Are you having seat cushions made to fit?

601 - 620 of 641 Posts