VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i'm individually coming to the consensus that the majority of people that own VW T5's are simply people who have more money than sense and can't\don't have any idea how to do the simplest of jobs on their vans. They lack the creativity or skills to perform the task given to the. So my question to the community is - can money buy the special VW gift? Discuss ... I:

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Sorry but your wrong.

Thats like me saying i think people who have T4's should get a better job so they can buy a T5 :eek:

Not nice really is it? :(

And since T4's are fetching a very good premium at the moment, A T5 can be a sound investment for the same money as a T4.

So I think you need to think a little harder?

Or get a life? LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
i think there are probably people with t4s and t5s who don't really know how to do things to their vans.

by the same token, i detest the look of the t5 and would rather spend my money modding my t4 than repairing a t5 from what i've read on here :eek: so i choose a t4.

Just my opinion of course but its hard to find a GOOD t4 how many t5s are campered up from a couple of years old? loads i bet so is it going to be THAT hard to find a good t5? probably not.:*

·
Registered
736 Posts
people who have T4's should get a better job so they can buy a T5 :eek:
I personally think the T4 is a better looking van anyway.
I do have the money to by a T5, but I just dont want one
I think the guys are right. Don't matter if you own a 4 or 5, you either have the skill and knowlege to tune/mod your van or you dont.
Plus the fact that most T5's are still under factory warrenty and if you so much as put an air freshener in it and something happens, the dealership won't touch it with a barge pole.......

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Well I have a T5... and I certainly don't have more money than sense, in fact I had to buy a T5 with a seized engine to be able to afford one in the first place.
...and yes, everything done to my T5 has been done by me (apart from the engine rebuild which was beyond my skill level))
brakes, suspension, replacing seats, r&r bed, ply lining, carpeting, sound system.. all mi own werk as they say...Rasp:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I think i'm individually coming to the consensus that the majority of people that own VW T5's are simply people who have more money than sense and can't\don't have any idea how to do the simplest of jobs on their vans. They lack the creativity or skills to perform the task given to the. So my question to the community is - can money buy the special VW gift? Discuss ... I:
Look at it another way, you could say people with T4's and stir up the same replies as you are now getting.

Everyone to their own, but at times it is best just to keep your thoughts to youself.

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
I: Now that is a discussion point! (having seen some VERY trick T5's yesterday at Vanwest, Kerbside et al)
I am mechanically able (Helecopters, not vans, some skills are transferable but not all) and the amount of jobs I could/should have done on my van is huge, and as for more money than sense, possibly then but not now LOL:LOL:

For what it's worth, 'I' think you can buy the Van and the look, but if you 'Get it' or not is down to you as an individual, it's not about the Van, it's about the attitude T:

Chris

(2.5 SWB Camper...........T4 ;) )

·
Registered
417 Posts
i think its the era you were brought up in. i own a t4 but think it feels dated (character) for you lovers. T5 is alot more modern, but has to live up to alot to compare to the t4.
When did the T4 start production? 92 ish? upto 2003 amazing.
Love them both just differant reasons. :)

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
I don't think u can buy the vw "gift" it's the reason I work for who I work for, I used to work for vw cars too, it doesn't matter if you've got a battered type 2 or a spanking 5.1, some people have got the ability/skill to do tge work themselves (which I congratulate) some have the drive to attempt it and others know that if they try they'll wreck their motor so get someone else to do it

i often wonder if vw would ever rebuild the splittys as a retro like the beetle, is it wrong to want that?

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
i could get a t5 if i wanted to . could chop both my t4's in and add a little more cash to get a decent one . do i want to ? no i dont . reason been is one is a work horse and the other is going to be a conversion . i have no massive money reserve , i dont like working on engines that much , but i will if i need to . but there are limits to what i can do only been working on the van for a year or so .
i think you are also forgetting that the majority of t5's on the road are on finance or lease for vat/tax/personal financial reasons

why i just typed all that i have no idea as reading it back it dont seem to link to the thread that much but beens as i have wasted my sunday morning energy typing it , i'll post it anyway Rasp:

what you all having for sunday dinner ? ;)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Does it really matter that the individual can or can't do the conversion / maintenance work themselves? If they can't do the work themselves it puts and keeps other people in business. I think there are probably just as many people with T4s with more money than sense judging by some of the prices these sell for. Anyway as long as you have a van that you love and enjoy using/modifying (regardless of who does the work) who cares what other people think!

·
Cornwall Massive
2,838 Posts
The more I read your posts, ERU, the more I wonder about you - the joke thread about the german names for stuff, I am sure that genuinely meant it when you said it should be made a sticky for people using german ebay...?!

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71845

Are you all there, mate?! :*

Saying people who have/want T5s are like that is simply ridiculous. I would argue that the ONLY people in the VW scene that MAY BE accused of having more money than sense are those who are paying £25k+ for a restored splitty that'll need it all doing again in several years' time, who may be under the misapprehension that it's an all-year round useable camper, but that's just my opinion...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
This is a good point,but..............................you can't really knock anyone who pays to have either servicing/mods done on there T5,or t4, or any vehicle :no

I for one, i do what i can myself on my car/bus but any big jobs get a garage to do if price is resonable!

Gonna line my van with carpet today,but if money wasn't an issue would defo get a proffesional in T:

Same argument as the built not bought senario,nice if you got the money to get converted,but then i personally feel abit of pride doing meself :ILU:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am sure that genuinely meant it when you said it should be made a sticky for people using German eBay...?!
I'm here - just sitting on the wall behind you watching all the T5 owners go nuts. Would it help if I stated I can speak the odd bit of German?
The thread was only intended as some light humour as I can't go to Vanfest ... That said there is some reality in my statement and personally I don't like T5's at all. The truth is we are all from a 'broad church' so therefore being stereotypical doesn't really work out or have any serious meaning to it - at least I hope it doesn't. Shall I included a disclaimer in future threads?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You'll be a wanted man by Monday,reward poster an all H:H:
YOU CAN RUN BUT YOU CAN'T HIDE Rasp:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I like T5's and T4's and was looking at both - In reality, a 2000+ T4, or an early T5 was all I could afford.

I liked the fact the gear stick on the dash made getting in the back a bit easier. Is it sad that this was a key decision???!

I think if i'd have gone for the earlier T4 i'd have done all the servicing etc myself, but in a strange way I had cordwallis service/cambelt it as I wanted to keep the re-sale value up (which is bizarre, as i'm less likely to sell the T5!)

Either van i'd have gone for, i'd have done ALL of the work inside, that work is the stuff to be proud of - and when you do it yourself you can have it how you want it, and it will be personal.

I think that's "getting it"!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You'll be a wanted man by Monday,reward poster an all H:H:
YOU CAN RUN BUT YOU CAN'T HIDE Rasp:
I'm about to delete all the photos of my van from my blog. Just in case it gets recognised! That said a true VW owner would never torch a VW van! ... only the owner ...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I prefer Transits myself.
A FAR superior mode of transport

Coat on, Taxi ordered, Goodnight.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Intresting thread, sort of bitchy sort of dicussionary. I:
End of the day (it's night), people buy vans for different reasons. Some people do things to their vans as it becomes a hobby / passion / obession. Must of the rest of the world buy cars to drive and only ever pay a professional to do anything to them (lazy people even pay to have them washed!!).
Just because you bought a VW van doesn't mean that you have to work on them. I will admit that I admire vans that have been worked on by the owner rather than paid for. But we don't all have the time or ability. I still prefer my home built interior to others because I (sorry, my wife and I) made it. I still don't understand why anyone buys a van spends hundreds of hours building and then rebuilding and only ever uses it at shows, but thats their choice, it is a free country

1 - 20 of 37 Posts