VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of you are driving petrol vans?

Ive a 1992 2 ltre petrol Multivan. I think shes running a bit rich at the moment, but that could just be the cost of Petrol at the moment :eek::eek:

·
Registered
342 Posts
1992 Caravelle 2.0l. Not used often, still being worked on (prettying up!) - first major outing in her will be Bug Jam. :D
Running on original 14" steel wheels & no power steering. Want bigger wheels to fill the arches, but I understand this is a heavy van & am wary of appropriate load ratings.... Lowered with Eibachs -40mm(ish) rear & dropped about -50(ish) front.
Was white, previous owner sprayed Dragon Green, I've just had bonnet, w/screen pillars & full roof sprayed gloss black. Have carbon wrapped 3 piece front panels & fit Mk3 Golf splitter to a bigger bumper. Toying with ideas for paint. Has a basic camper interior, I have covered plastic trims in Mega Van Mats stretchy carpet stuff & mum is making curtains out of fabric I sourced in Hawaii.

·
Registered
10 Posts
'91 T4 caravelle 2.0L petrol....is it hard to get second hand parts for these as they seem less common than diesel? we've only just bought ours so only drove it home, thats about it til we have sorted a few bits.

·
Registered
481 Posts
1994 Auto-sleeper Trident (hi-top) conversion on 2.0 petrol here. Not a daily drive, thankfully.
Runs well, pulls strongly and does about 25mpg loaded up if driven gently.
Not aware of any parts supply probs, but these share some parts with Mk3 Golfs I believe, which may help.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im getting about 19 miles per gallon at the moment on my 2 litre, So im starting to think ive either done a calculation wrong or shes running heavy.

Anybody know if theres a common reason or fault why they run rich? Its been serviced regularly and well looked after but was parked up for about 5 months from december to recently, Ive had it converted to a campervan so i only pay 95 euro a year road tax thats why she was off the road, i wasnt going to pay 660 a year again when the tax was up so i just had it reclassified, and thats why she was off the road.

Since ive had it back on the road its been doing considerably less mileage, the cost of petrol has gone up but i cant see how its taken 100 kilometres off the usual 300 kilometres i use to do when i put 50 euro of fuel in.

Apparantly the Idle control valve is often a problem on these, sometimes when i pull up in traffic she sounds like shes gonna cut out but doesnt, ive been told this is the idle control valve,

Priced one up in VW and i was quoted over 400 euro ha, Ill keep mine til the van stops.

Im getting 200 kilometres for 50 euro thats roughly 30 litres, 200kms is 125 miles to 30 litres of fuel

Ive been reading that when or if its running rich it could be a whole host of things from spark plugs needing to be changed to timing being out to gaskets, I dont really want to be spending any more money on this van cos ive spent alot of money on it over the years.

Its up for sale and if it doesnt sell it might be parked and a possible engine conversion to Diesel dont want to go there though ahh could turn out to be a case of campervan crisis and a total over haul in the future.

Anybody else got fueling issues?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1994 Auto-sleeper Trident (hi-top) conversion on 2.0 petrol here. Not a daily drive, thankfully.
Not aware of any parts supply probs, but these share some parts with Mk3 Golfs I believe, which may help.
Ive been told that my 2 litre engine is just like a mk3 GTI engine!

·
Registered
22 Posts
1996 2.5 petrol here - goes well and sounds great ! bit juicy but its dual-fuel so can run on LPG too ...

thought I read somewhere that the ECU can be re-set to ensure its not running rich and using too much petrol ?

·
Formerly known as minifun
129 Posts
1992 2.0l petrol manual here, I get over 30mgp on a long run, under 30mpg around town! Love the petrol and no problem with parts, have found everything I've needed so far! Sticking to 14 inch wheels and not much weight in the back so that might help the mpg T: I'm using it everyday at the moment and off for 3 weeks round Scotland in a week!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Im getting about 19 miles per gallon at the moment on my 2 litre

Should definitely be getting more than that. Anything less than mid-20s should ring alarm bells really.

It's not quite a GTi engine -- the block and many of the parts are the same, but it's lower compression and less power. Does mean they last well, though, and they pull well enough. Spares availability is OK, but if the ECU packs up you'll need either second-hand, get it rebuilt or replace with some other system entirely, new ECUs are no longer available (at least not for pre-cat vans).

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1992 2.0l petrol manual here, I get over 30mgp on a long run, under 30mpg around town! Love the petrol and no problem with parts, have found everything I've needed so far! Sticking to 14 inch wheels and not much weight in the back so that might help the mpg T: I'm using it everyday at the moment and off for 3 weeks round Scotland in a week!
Mines a 1992 2litre petrol and im only getting 19 MPG mind you thats not running the tank till empty, Im just calculating to when i refill I normally refill when the gauge is at the same point.

Ive also while the van was parked up changed out the ECU relay and the FUEL PUMP relay, wonder is that anything to do with it, I was getting about 300KM to 50 euros before she was parked up, but i guess i was getting more fuel for 50 euro as prices have gone up about 15 cent in the last 6 months still i dont think that should account for the low MPG im getting.

I dont want to bring it to a mechanic again though! arrgghhhhh! might just go to VW and order a new set of spark plugs and put them in myself.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im getting about 19 miles per gallon at the moment on my 2 litre

Should definitely be getting more than that. Anything less than mid-20s should ring alarm bells really.

It's not quite a GTi engine -- the block and many of the parts are the same, but it's lower compression and less power. Does mean they last well, though, and they pull well enough. Spares availability is OK, but if the ECU packs up you'll need either second-hand, get it rebuilt or replace with some other system entirely, new ECUs are no longer available (at least not for pre-cat vans).

How do i know if the ECU has packed up?

Any other suggestions as to why its running rich, im hoping its a im needing new spark plugs or the timing is out ive recently put a new ECU relay in and a new FUEL PUMP relay

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a 2.5 Petrol which goes like the wind and I can get up to 35mpg on petrol, On gas LPG iget 21 to 22 and 17 when towing my caravan. Use gas most of the time and petrol when I want to go faster. Ideling issues are not the idle control valve according to my local VW it is is vibrating it's working it could be an air leak in any of the pipes including the oil breather. My one hunt's on idle and the breather pipe looks like it has collapsed so I am going to change it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a 2.5 Petrol which goes like the wind and I can get up to 35mpg on petrol, On gas LPG iget 21 to 22 and 17 when towing my caravan. Use gas most of the time and petrol when I want to go faster. Ideling issues are not the idle control valve according to my local VW it is is vibrating it's working it could be an air leak in any of the pipes including the oil breather. My one hunt's on idle and the breather pipe looks like it has collapsed so I am going to change it.
I know this is a stupid question but where abouts exactly would one find the oil breather pipe, Ill double check my Manual now just to be sure to be sure or even see if i can find it first!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I changed out the fuel filter myself on this van while it was parked up, Im now starting to think theres air in the fuel line and i was reading that this can lead to the vehicle running rich

The spark plugs are also due a change, my mechanic told me they looked fine though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thats useful to know, another option for second hand parts :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Mines a 1992 2litre petrol and im only getting 19 MPG mind you thats not running the tank till empty, Im just calculating to when i refill I normally refill when the gauge is at the same point.
As long as you measure mileage from full to full it doesn't matter :)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts