VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie here. Be nice!

With the RNS 315 unit we have fitted to our T5.1, when I plug my phone into either 12v socket to charge, DAB reception drops off.

It could be the stereo, aerial, charger or USB cable I guess. Clearly charger and cable easy to replace but I'm flying blind and buying new bits at random doesn't seem very intelligent. Really well shielded iphone cables don't seem to exist but I could buy a lower power USB charger (current one is a Scosche reVOLT 2.4A job).

Anyone else get this issue?

Luke

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I'm a newbie here. Be nice!

With the RNS 315 unit we have fitted to our T5.1, when I plug my phone into either 12v socket to charge, DAB reception drops off.

It could be the stereo, aerial, charger or USB cable I guess. Clearly charger and cable easy to replace but I'm flying blind and buying new bits at random doesn't seem very intelligent. Really well shielded iphone cables don't seem to exist but I could buy a lower power USB charger (current one is a Scosche reVOLT 2.4A job).

Anyone else get this issue?

Luke
Hi Luke

It will be the USB charger, as high power ones do interfere with radio reception, just use a normal 1/2 amp one of good quality..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice. Will do just that - thanks v much for the response.

It does bring up another question - do folk have any good ideas for neat USB connection? I'm using the 12V socket on the top of the dash which seems a good place for it but despite being quite small my charger still sticks out too much for the flap to close over it so it's a bit messy. With this lovely new (to me, but still the newest vehicle I've ever owned by a mile) van I'm planning to throw out my old messy habits and keep things tidy, but what chargers/connections do others use for a really neat finish?

Ditto phone holders (thinking I might stick a magnet to a blanking plate) - any other bright ideas out there?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Using a 1 amp charger is much better but I do still get a bit of interference from it in some areas, where I'm guessing the DAB signal is already weak. So I'll just leave it at that, unless it would make a difference to somehow shield some of the cabling. I'll probably install a fixed USB socket in place of the 12v one on top of the dash. Would it make a difference to wrap something round that cable at the same time or am I barking up the wrong tree? If so what?

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Using a 1 amp charger is much better but I do still get a bit of interference from it in some areas, where I'm guessing the DAB signal is already weak. So I'll just leave it at that, unless it would make a difference to somehow shield some of the cabling. I'll probably install a fixed USB socket in place of the 12v one on top of the dash. Would it make a difference to wrap something round that cable at the same time or am I barking up the wrong tree? If so what?
Even fixed ones play up with a weak DAb signal, just experiment and post your findingsT:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts