VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mirror before:

I bought a new convexed mirror glass and fitted it like so.....

Stuck my fingures in the top and popped the old one out.

Popped the new one in. Push in the centre so that the miror isnt being bent (may break), it takes a bit of force.

Can Moderators put this somewhere obvious? Can it be sticky? I have done a full guide with phots on how to change glowplugs, how do i attach a PDF?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that leads to a woblly mirror. I sufferend wobble mirror before, the new one is nice and stiff!

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
should have a little green paper gasket sits on the balls tip that stop it gettin all wobbly

wait for the double entendres gang lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
If your mirror wobbles and its a manual ajustable type VW do a little paper gasket repair which sits between ball and socket to pack it out. buy one or make one yourself!
simples !

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just changed mine the other day , twas easy peasy to get off ! But I found myself worrying about the force I was having to appy to get it back on, thought I was going to brake it so..........

Used a hair drier to warm the plastic of the glass mirror replacement, as I thought warming and possibly expanding the plastic a bit might help.

Good guide !

·
Registered
225 Posts
Going to put mine back in after replacing the glass. No paper gasket. Would a little bit of gaffa tape in the socket where the ball joint goes in work?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Willonmitchell for that Guide. I found that the replacement glass would only click in once I'd swapped the replacement's 'spring ring' which was of a heavier gauge with the original ring. Even then I found it necessary to remove the mirror housing from the door and work on a level surface pressing down with full body weight and a very flat heel of my gloved hand! And a touch of WD40 on the spigot ball. Replacement glass bought from Vans Direct £10.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts