VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tools:

• Double offset ratchet wrench 8mm/12mm (available from Halfords -£10).

• Socket wrench with 8mm, 12mm socket piece and a short extension and a long extension piece.
  • A long screw driver or poking device (see instructions for use)

• A long magnet, nut collecting tool (ask in a tool shop, it is for collecting the small M5 nuts that you will! drop.) It is possible to do it with out this tool.
  • 4 new glow plugs (£40 for these Bosch ones from Halfords. Get a friends trade card and they are £25 :) )

Guide:

Step 1

Open the bonnet and disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. The battery is under all the black plastic covers on the left side of the engine.

Step 2

Remove the front grill. Undo the two bolts on the top of the radiator and tilt the hole thing forward. This gives you space to work.

Step 3

The first 3 glow plugs are located here (the one in the middle is hidden under the injector in he picture). You can also see the link bar that attaches to all the glow plugs (this bar carries current from the battery to operate the glow plugs).

Loosen the nuts on the left two injectors to release the fuel pipes (WARNING: Be very careful not to bend these pipes!). This allows the double offset ratchet wrench space to move.

The fourth glow plug is here. it is hidden under the yellow thing with a plug in it.:

Step 4

Remove the little M5 nuts holding the link bar to all the ends of the glow plugs. Be aware that this is where you may need the magnet for the nuts you drop. If you are careful you can do it with out the magnet. Glow plug one nut is removed with the 8mm end of the ratchet wrench like so. In the pictures you may notice I have removed the rubber fuel hose that attaches to each injector. That was because I was replacing them all as well. The hose would have attached to each nipple .

The second glow plug M5 nut also needs the 8mm of the ratchet wrench.

The third glow plug M5 nut is undone using the 8mm socket wrench.

The fourth glow plug M5 nut is undone using the 8mm socket wrench. I disconnected the electric plug that went into the yellow connector to give me room (what is this yellow thing? i trued to undo it and water came out so swiftly put it back!T: ) .
Once all the M5 nuts are removed off the glow plugs, the metal bar can be pulled off the glow plugs. No need to remove the link bar, instead just push it down out of the way so you can remove the whole glow plugs.

Step 5

Using the same techniques that you removed all the M5 nuts, remove all the glow plugs. You will need to use the 12mm end of the double offset wrench and a 12mm socket head. When I removed all my glow plugs they looked like this.

Step 6

Put the new glow plugs in. Really you should tighten them up to the correct torque but I jut put them in as tight as I felt the old ones were in.

Step 7

Attach the link bar to each of the ends of the glow plugs, you may need the poking tool to get this on.

Step 8

Attach the M5 nuts to each of the glow plugs.

Step 9

Re attach the injector fuel pipes and reconnect anything you might have disconnected. Start the engine and see the results!! As long as it is all okay, put the front back on. Job done! :wzd

I thought doing the plugs would give me a perfect start however it didnt make a difference :(
any other solutions to why i get a good start only if i use the cold start handle? (i have serviced oil and all filters. battery is fine too! Is it my timing?)

·
Registered
80 Posts
thanks for putting this on, i,ve got to do mine sometime as i also need the lever for the first start of the day, it used to start fine on the glowplugs untill a couple of months back.
did you test for voltage at the plugs before changing them?i,m getting 12v at all 4 plugs untill the relay clicks off so i,m hoping new plugs will sort it.
regards

john:gl

·
Registered
979 Posts
just done mine and thought idd add a few little bits if thats cool

first i got to say i never thought i was ever going to get it done as there is such little room

first thing i would add is if you are as paranoied as me about droping the nuts or plugs or anything just poke some tissue paper inder each plug to catch anything you may drop,you probly wont but would save a headake if you do.

if you have massive hands find some one with small hands cos you will strugle outher wise.

make shore you have a deep 12mm socket thats long anuf to go over the end of your plugs

i found i could actualy get the nuts back on just with the magnetic wand (i was most wored about this part as they were so hard to get off to start with) again the tissue under neath saves any headakes right at the last step when you think your almost there.

lastly take your time and make shore you have plenty off it it realy is a fiderly job i think it tock about 1 1/2 - 2 hours to do mine for the first time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is a great guide.

Just did the glow plugs on my 19td and all went fine. The van now starts amazing and all for £40.

It is a fiddly job and i used almost every tool in my tool box, but as long as you take your time, anyone can do it.

Cheers for such a good thread - this is what the forum is all about.

John

·
Registered
45 Posts
Amazing post. I need to do mine so thank you very much. Just to confirm there are only four plugs yes? Where's the cheapest/best quality to buy?

·
Registered
12 Posts
T: Many thanks for the info, i changed mine about two weeks ago and your post was really helpful. its an easy enough job just very fiddely. I used the angled rachet spanner from halfords and a combination of small open ended, ring spanners and sockets,
I managed to change all the plugs with out removing the feed pipes. Its a good tip to put rag under the plugs to catch anything that you may drop, also i bent a thin piece of wire in to a hook shape and undone the m5 nuts on to the hook, this seemed to work well as i never dropped any of them. to put them back on i used a magnetic screw driver to hold them in place and a plain screw driver to start the thread.
New glow plugs made a huge difference before it would just not start at all, with new ones it kick in to life first time even in this recent cold weather we have had. Well worth doing if your having trouble starting.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks man

Thanks Man i changed all my glow plug yesterday and now my van starts purrrfect!
I got a constant coolant leak from that yellow plug over glow plug 4 did you get any feedback as to what that is?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Great thread - horrible job! - I couldn't get number 2 nut back on and dropped a couple - eventually added a touch of solder to stop earth bar from coming off on no 2 plug. Still got unburnt fuel at start up, so wonder if the current to plugs is not adequate?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the thread. I have a early 2.4 and I am pretty sure mine need glow plugs. Is it pretty much the same? I have heard that one of them is a bit of bugger, can anyone give me advice or point me to another useful thread?

cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Thanks man

Thanks Man i changed all my glow plug yesterday and now my van starts purrrfect!
I got a constant coolant leak from that yellow plug over glow plug 4 did you get any feedback as to what that is?
Its the engine temp sensor, if your temp gauge is working its the first thing to check.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brilliant thread. Thanks a lot. It took me somewhat longer than 2 hours but without this info, I'd be out there a whole lot longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Top thread, changed my glow plugs refering to photes very helpfull. I used denso glow plugs and they came with new M5 nuts, which had a flange around the nut, which was so helpfull becuase the nut didnt fall through the ratchet when reattaching to new glow plugs. T:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just been there, done that for the 2nd or 3rd time in 10 yrs. I found it worth the trouble of disconnecting the radiator and leaving it hanging on the PAS hoses off to one side

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mate thanks for taking the time to post that thread. I'd have been snapping if I was cracking that on a voyage of discovery :) excellent stuff, see how the van does in the morning!!! This cold has made it awful to start and have been using cold start for a week or so. Should have done this straight away (been hard to start for months) as I schoolboy'd it and ran the battery flat turning it over aswell as stoofing the starter in too, douche! Fingers x'd it starts behaving now in the morning.

For anyone else doing the job I'd totally recommend the paper tucked in to catch the M5 nuts or anything else that happens to drop. I also used a small amount of blu-tack inside the wratchet spanner which meant it held the M5 nut just enough to get the thread to catch when putting them back on. I then tightened them up using a flat screwdriver before going back in with the wratchet spanner to nip them up. When using the socket set I put some blue roll inside the socket to raise the nut inside making it easier to offer up to the thread as it wasn't catching, that did the job.

Hope that helps anyone else doing the job, I'm jonny aged 5 with mechanics so it took me about 3 1/2 hours as a guide.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts