VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After losing loads of power on my van last week it went into Youngs Garage in Wrotham, who reset the fuel pump timing (pulls a lot better now T:) and also diagnosed that the turbo was very worn and was intermittently sticking!

After being told the price for a new turbo from VW (£608 + VAT), I panicked a bit and read a few posts. I read on here that the Garrett G15 turbo as fitted to many other makes will fit and sourced a bargain 'brand new' one on ebay for less than £150....result I thought!!

Anyway, it turned up today and is indeed a brand new shiny part, still with the plastic seals on it.

However, the part number on it is as follows:- 452195-5001 This wasn't displayed in the ebay listing and the item had about 1 hour to go!!:eek:

This does not seem to be the right part number for the VW T4 1.9td application?:(

I have looked in my engine bay and my current faulty turbo looks different with a much longer actuating arm??

Here of some pictures of the turbo I purchased off ebay:-

I suppose I can resell it as it is brand new, but I will still need to source a new or recon turbo for my van? GUTTED!!:(:(:(

Ironically, the van is running fine now, so the turbo must be spinning fine?? I bet it's still sucking up and burning loads of oil though?

Alpenweiss2

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I've done a bit of research and it looks like I have been stitched up by the ebay seller. Despite all the part numbers being clearly visible on the turbo (see photos), the seller declined to have this information in his listing!!:bhdNo code has to be inserted here.

He did have a link showing a list of vehicles that this supposed Garrett GT15 turbo would fit, including a VW T4 1.9td.

However, on checking the part numbers with some online research, it appears that this turbo is a GT1544 not a GT15 and will ONLY fit a Lister-Petter industrial generator??

Hopefully I will get a refund through ebay!

GUTTED. :(:(:(

Should have done more research prior to bidding, but I had just found out from the garage that I needed a new turbo and saw this on ebay with only an hour left to bid!! DOH...you live and learn!!

Alpenweiss2

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Yeah it will fit *<:)>

you can make anything fit with abot of work . depends if you just want a straight bolt on.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
1. Go to scrap yard or ebay
2. Buy a Garrett T15 turbo from any 1z or AHU-engined VAG vehicle (Golf/Ibiza/Octavia/Polo/Toledo/Galaxy/Alhambra etc. etc.) for about £30
3. Swap the turbine housing as described here
4. Refit to your van - done

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. Go to scrap yard or ebay
2. Buy a Garrett T15 turbo from any 1z or AHU-engined VAG vehicle (Golf/Ibiza/Octavia/Polo/Toledo/Galaxy/Alhambra etc. etc.) for about £30
3. Swap the turbine housing as described here
4. Refit to your van - done
Hi there Penbryn, thanks for your reply!!

I am very relieved that there is a solution, but a bit confused??:confused:

You are saying I need to buy another turbo (1z/AHU )from a scrapyard or ebay and then dismantle it and swap the turbo housing from my van's turbo to the second hand turbo from the scrapyard?

Can I not remove the turbo from the van and then reuse that turbine housing and fix it to the new one I already have?
Or are you saying that the new one is totally useless?

Also do you know if there is a guide to removing/refitting the T4 turbo?

Cheers Alpenweiss2

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Hi there Penbryn, thanks for your reply!!

Can I not remove the turbo from the van and then reuse that turbine housing and fix it to the new one I already have?
Or are you saying that the new one is totally useless?

Cheers Alpenweiss2
Is your current one a Garett T15?, if so then swap the bits from that to new one mate.

P.s. Is your name from a BMW paint colour by any chance lol?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I can just swap the housing from the turbo on the van (if it's a Garrett) to the new turbo? BRILLIANT!

All I need to do know is figure out how to get the turbo out of the van..looks tricky???

Oh, my username is from the VW/BMW paint name in German for Alpine White!

I am registered on the ClubGti forum with the same username as we (me and the g/f) also own two alpine White Mk2 GTI's!!

Hence Alpenweiss2!! :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just swap the bits over, will be fine,

turbo is a bit of a faff to remove but not too bad,

remember to buy a new gasket for the exhaust manifold when you refit it, theyre not expensive

Hi Andyd

Thanks for your reply. You mention needing a new gasket for the exhaust manifold? Is this for between the turbine housing triangular bit (outlined in red in photo below) with three bolts and the manifold? Where the turbine housing attaches to the cast pipe which is U clipped to the downpipe there are four studs/bolts. Is no gasket required on this join or is it just metal on metal?

One other thing..if I could ask your advice? I:

If you look at the photo below of the new Garrett turbo I have sourced you will see that the oil feed (yellow circled) port that has a green plug in it is on the upper side of the turbo unit. On my T4 van this is on the underside??? When I come to fit this new turbo to my van, I will be using the original turbine housing from on the van mated to everything else from the turbo in the picture. Will the centre section rotate through 180 degrees so that the right ports line up with the right feeds in the engine bay?

I have read Penrhyn's excellent guide to swapping over turbine housings and I am quietly confident that this will be do-ableT:

I am guessing that I will also have to swap over the actuator from the van to the new turbo?

Are there any other hints you could give on removal of the turbo?

I was going to attempt it in the following way:-

Spray all the bolts with Plusgas a few days before.

Disconnect the air filter inlet hose; remove all the egr stuff out of the way; remove the large rubber hose, unbolt the four nuts that hold the turbine housing/cast link pipe together; disconnect the two oil feed pipes; disconnect the manifold/turbine housing joint. remove turbo unit from engine bay.

I am guessing that the under tray will need to come off for access to bolts from underneath??

If all goes will and the new turbo goes onto the van, will it need setting up? I guess i don't need to adjust the actuator? Any precautions before firing up the engine?

Not going to tackle this till after the Christmas break, so plenty of time to read up on it! Wish there was a how to on the forum!!

Cheers Alpenwweiss2:)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
hi alpenweiss

regarding the gaskets, they go between the cylinder head and exhaust manifold, no gasket on that triangular face, no gasket on the downpipe elbow either(one with 5 13mm AF bolts).

regarding the oil return feed being on the side, if you loosen the clamps you should be able to rotate the turbo housing round to the correct angle to match your vans one. These are at different angles for different applications, the T15 used on golfs and the like is at a slightly different angle too.

regarding tips to remove,

id personally buy the tool for releasing the exhaust downpipe clamps, they are worth their weight in gold as the pesky c clamps are a nightmare to get on and off without, not worth struggling.

first remove the pipes going to the turbo and get the airbox pipes out the way to inprove access.
id undo the 5 13mm bolts and the two c clamps using special tool and remove the downpipe elbow completely first.
then undo the solid oil feed line,
don't forget to undo the 21mm (i think) banjo bolt down the back of the block that the oil return bolts to.
then you've got 4 or 5 small (11mm maybe) nuts to undo which are a pain in the ass to reach, i used my little 1/4" drive socket set and little extension to reach.

its not too bad of a job, i removed mine insitu a while ago when the seals went.

i managed all the bolts from above but if you dont remove the tray you will drop something in it! i always do, my guess would be one of the two copper sealing washers on the oil return banjo bolt!

·
Previously; stevemadbiker
1,308 Posts
Hi
Once you remove the undertray, place a trolley jack under the engine and use a bit of wood to save any damage to the sump.
Then undo the engine mounting on the left hand side of the engine bay, this will give you loads more room to use the exhaust clip removal tool.
This will also give you more room to remove the turbo.

steve

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Not sure that T15 and GT15 are the same...so you may not be able to swap the turbine housing but it s worth a look in any case, as you will have to remove the old turbo in any case

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Not sure that T15 and GT15 are the same...so you may not be able to swap the turbine housing but it s worth a look in any case, as you will have to remove the old turbo

Ok - had a quick look, I am a little more convinced that GT15 is the same as T15 T:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies guys fantastic information will be very helpful!!

Just one question!

Does the exhaust clamp thingy have to be undone? Can the turbine housing not be separated from the pipe that is clamped to the downpipe, or is there no room to get to the bolts?

Cheers Alpenweiss2

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm gonna attempt this early in the New Year and have roped in the brother in law to help for a few beers!!

Just wondered if anyone had any further tips on removal/refitting of the turbo?

I'm going to by the Sealey C clamp tool to separate the exhaust downpipe. As the manifold has to come off I think I will give it a really good clean out as well and buy a new gasket. Steve's shout of lowering the engine slightly was a good one, should really help with room to work! T:

I think I will take loads of pictures and write a how to afterwards...well that's if I don't f**k it up!

It's going to be great knowing that my van has a brand new turbo on it!!

Cheers alpenweiss2 :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts