VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at having a pop at some pinstriping on my van, once it's painted...

Now - I'm pretty decent with intricate stuff and have a bit of an artistic eye, but I've never done anything like this, and it's kind of a one hit wonder thing, so I'm not sure.....

I don't have any brushes, so I was thinking of cheating with one of those rollers - but there's lots of conflicting info about them.......

Anyway - I don't want to go mad - just maybe some bits around the wheel arches, maybe something on the barn doors....

I'd LOVE to do the whole flame thing down the sides, but I think that would be pushing it.....

Anyway - love to see if anyone is into it..... :)

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Something i fancy having a go at also, If you visit some off the hot rod sites, they have some good links.
I thing the roller your talking about is called a bueglar ? something like that, but i think they are a bit limited to just fine lining. brushes are pretty cheap for more intricate work, and u can practice on all sorts.

G

·

ok not strictly pin striping but the same theory and technique

not done any vehicles, only signs including this one with ...................I: "tartan paint"

http://www.pinstripinguk.com/ is a good start

best way is to get some gear and practice practice practice.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

ok not strictly pin striping but the same theory and technique

not done any vehicles, only signs including this one with ...................I: "tartan paint"

http://www.pinstripinguk.com/ is a good start

best way is to get some gear and practice practice practice.
That's a really nice job!!

:)

Off to the supplied link to have a squizz.......... :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've fancied having a go at this for some time now. Well now the van is satin black & I got the pinstriping starter kit for fathers day I guess it's time to start finding the time to practice like crazy. Typical that I'm back to work tonight huh!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Zapally, all that sounds good - but please stop ! :no

You're building my van, just 3 months ahead of me lol :D To be fair though, I can't fault your taste and you are making a good job of it A:

Keep up the good work bud - I'll be asking for hints and tips as I go along if that's ok ? :ILU:

Mike

PS - did you buy satin black paint and shoot out the gun or have you just rattle canned the lot ?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Zapally, all that sounds good - but please stop ! :no

You're building my van, just 3 months ahead of me lol :D To be fair though, I can't fault your taste and you are making a good job of it A:

Keep up the good work bud - I'll be asking for hints and tips as I go along if that's ok ? :ILU:

Mike

PS - did you buy satin black paint and shoot out the gun or have you just rattle canned the lot ?
LOL: I wouldn't worry mate, by the time I'm able to pinstripe with any kind of ability you'll probably be finished you van. As for the paint, I bought a tin of satin black rustoleum & rollered it on. Took the van apart, sanded & first coat done all in one day & it was a looooonnnnnggggg day! but worth it. Feel free to ask any questions bud!T:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i bought my son a hot wheels car the other day its a van gold with lighter gold pinstripeing and that give me an idea of doing it to my van but i wont to do it like the pin stripes on the 80s
trans ams you no the ones out of smockey and the bandit think it would look really nice but alot of workT:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just finished some pinstriping on my Van. If you got a white van, just to let you know Black is one of the hardest paints to use in Pinstriping, don't ask me why, but all the Professional pinstripers I've spoke to said the same.
I'm no pro, so used it anyway...

It's difficult to keep the consitency right.
I'll give it a clean up tomorrow when it's dry.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
now that looks nice i used to be into hotrods and had this done on an old mk1 cortina custom a guy called weirdo watts did it apparently hes quite famouse for it now T:

·
Registered
683 Posts
xbones, that looks top! nice one. Have you been at it long T: If I could get close to that standard I'd be a happy boy A:

G

·
If you got a white van, just to let you know Black is one of the hardest paints to use in Pinstriping, don't ask me why, but all the Professional pinstripers I've spoke to said the same.
I'm no pro, so used it anyway...
ive always found red to be the hardest colour to use :confused: lol and black on of the best .

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ain't been Striping long, probably a month or so. I've got a Harley Davidson that has some factory stripes that I wanted to add to, not had the bottle to add to the bike yet though.
Bananavan - I guess it's what you get used to, the Stripers at the course I did said black, but I choose to ignore it cuz that was the one colour that I really wanted on my van. Once I've practised a bit more I guess I'll pick up the black a bit better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
what about using vinyl? your local sign shop would able to cut to your design or get them to design it, that way if you dont like it all you have to is strip it off

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you are using the proper paint (synthetic enamel) you can wipe it off with turps no probs before it's dry (approx 2hrs depending on temperature).

Once dry, you can still shift it with Mr Muscle oven cleaner. Squirt it on, leave for 20mins and rinse it off. It won't harm factory 2k paint.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts