VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had one fitted a couple of weeks ago to my 2010 t5.1 caravelle and thought I'd share a couple of things I've noted. Maybe some of you in the trade can feed some of this back to Pioneer. If any of this is user error let me know!

What's great:
It looks like a factory unit, and no bezels are needed.
It's a doddle to fit.
Very "unfussy" look to the unit
Interface is generally very simple to use and clear.
I'm no audiophile but the sound seems a big improvement over the RCD 310 that was in there already. (as confirmed by the kids).
The Satnav gets a lock very quickly and no drop-outs.
TMC seems pretty stable with only an occasional drop-out in rural areas.

What's not so great
The Audio UI looks like it's been designed by someone from Kenwood I: and doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the unit. It's a bit "gimicky". This could be so much simpler to look at and have the useability improved.
Having to scroll the preset FM stations for example - just have 6 soft buttons across the bottom of the unit.
The AV source buttons should be bigger. They're pretty small and a bit of a pain to change when driving.
The Satnav map display. This is a personal thing, but compared to my Garmin Nuvi 3590 the Navman isn't great. It's the 3d map display I like least, and it wastes 25% of the screen showing an artificial sky / horizon.

What's just wrong.
The splash screen - I can't find a way to disable it
The health warning - Even more annoying to "accept" the T's and C's every time you use it.

What's broken and should be fixed by Pioneer:

Bluetooth Phone Integration - The Phone button on the multi function steering wheel doesn't work at all. I thought it was supposed to go OH / accept a call when pressed.

The White MFD doesn't display any media info.

The bluetooth pairing seems to default to phone mode and ignore the media streaming setting (even though previously set).

The Parking Sensor display can take a while to start up if you're starting the car. Luckily the beeps are still working independently. The screen seems slower to update than the RCD, with a noticeable delay in the beep tone changing to an equivalent change on the display.

The display doesn't change when you fix an accessory to the towbar. On the RCD the display changed when I fitted the bike rack, on this it stays the same . I've not checked to see if it alters the sensors at all.

That might sound a bit damning but overall I'm impressed with the unit, Pioneer just need to sort out the above CANBUS interface issues in an update and make it available. I thought I was getting something that was tightly integrated to the CANBUS but it's left lacking in a few areas.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think i would have to agree with all those points too.

If you hold down the left button for about 5 seconds, it blanks the screen, which makes night driving much better.

I like using the Navgate feeds app on my iphone, which syncs to the sat nav. ie you find where you want to go in navgate feeds on your iphone, save it, and next time you get in the van, it is in your contacts with its own red icon. Takes you straight to the destination.

Pioneer are taking the P with the new app radio upgrade, i think its £120...., take the 1 off the front and i might have been interested.

The FM reception in the T5.1 is dire, good job i like radio 2. I would like to see a good DAB addon for the Pioneer, but i believe they think the future is internet radio. You cant even get good 3G all over the country, so internet radio is a no go for me.

the pioneer is streets ahead of the Kenwood in my opinion, and im glad i bought it....sort of...lol

I have the kenwood unit up for grabs if anybody is interested.

jon

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know the app radio update was out. £120 ! LOL: That's just ridiculous. From what I've seen of the appradio software it's pretty poor. As you say at £20 or so I'd be tempted.

Actually that reminds me of another gripe with Pioneer. The AVIC navman 2012 map update is over £120! That's outrageous. Again my Garmin has lifetime map and traffic updates. (and the whole thing cost just over £200). Do you have a link to the update?

I turned the screen brightness right down and it's fine a night now.

As my van had the RCD 310 it's got the twin aerials already, so radio reception is excellent; though I've seen the other thread.

Internet radio isn't the future until the mobile network catches up (which will be years away). It's great where you have a signal (I've been using tune in radio for a couple of years) but I wouldn't want to depend on it unless I lived and drove exclusively in a residential area. As I live in the sticks it's a non starter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jon. I had seen that thread and followed the link but I only thought it was a map update (must learn to read!). It's a shame they've bundled the update with the maps.

As an Android user the list of appradio apps is fairly underwhelming, though if it was tens of pounds rather than hundreds I probably would have been tempted. If they could add Spotify and Tune In radio they might be onto something (but not for £120).

Do you know if it's a one off payment, then new apps are free or is it a pay per release model?

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are plenty of hacks / mods for this model over on Avic411.com including disabling the nag screen

There's always a way of getting around paying Pioneer £120 too :)

I've only just got it installed, initial impressions is it's very nice, I was after something OEM looking that does nav & iPhone, and bluetooth calling. So i'm happy.

If you're buying this unit 2nd hand, ask what cables it comes with as loads of the 2nd hand units have cables missing

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm looking at getting one of these; the latest bumf on the Pioneer web site seems to suggest that the unit has an "App mode" as standard

Is this the same thing that people have recently being paying a fee to upgrade to or something different i.e. more basic functionality?

Regards Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm looking at getting one of these; the latest bumf on the Pioneer web site seems to suggest that the unit has an "App mode" as standard

Is this the same thing that people have recently being paying a fee to upgrade to or something different i.e. more basic functionality?

Regards Bob
I imagine the units ship without this update, however you can get yourself a 8gb Micro SD card for under a tenner and do the update yourself without too much trouble.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problems here.

Did you found a solution to get media info on MFD an to get phone button on steering wheel work properly?

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts