VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new on here,
I've had my T5 174 for over 15 years and it's been a dream but I've noticed over the last month that there's a slight tapping/knocking noise appearing not loud yet but loud enough for me to notice it's different from B4, engine has done 175,000 (just under) I was thinking it could be the pistons starting to wear ? The only reason I say it might be the pistons is that when I took the oil cap off while engine was running the noise increased a bit, I'm just after some advice or information if any of you fellow owners have had or know what can be done OR wot can't b done !!!
Ta

·
Registered
168 Posts
Has it had a camshaft yet? Could be the start of cam love wearing away, any thumping noise from the air box area?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi James, thx for the reply, no it's not had the cam replaced yet, and it doesn't seem to have any other thumping noise as you described ?

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
Thumping noise is classic cam wear issue. Get it sorted soon and I bet you can expect another 175k out of those pistons.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have also known the exhaust manifolds to make a ticking noise when they start to crack around the ports, it really needs investigating properly before any major problems

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts