VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

as any of you water users know, putting on a soaking wet wetsuit which has been lying in the bottom of a plastic tub is not a fun experience.

So I'm thinking of making a tall rear cupboard where I can hang my suit out of the way, and then hopefully with the addition of small fans, help it dry out (a bit at least!).
Of course, I still need a tub in the bottom to catch dripping water (which I'll just empty whenever). I need to think of some sort of waterproofing... plus then maybe venting? I do not want horrible smelly moist air in the van haha

Can anyone show me where you store your wetsuit? Or think you have a much better idea :D

Any ideas appreciated T:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Get yourself a rip curl flash bomb. They dry unbelievably quick and yea I agree, nothing nice about putting on a cold and wet wettie. T:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Isnt it possible to spin them in a washing machine ..?? Pardon my ignorance if not ..!! If its anything like my boating gear , stick it in a closed cupboard , and it,ll go mouldy ..!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Any well used wetsuit takes longer and longer to dry, due to the nature of the rubber used. The best thing you can do is leave it out to drip dry and squeeze the lowermost parts regularly. Water drains out of a wetsuit (esp winter) quicker than it dries. I have several so swap and change as needed......but a wet one isnt a problem just man up and pull it on!!!!

·
previously known as passattdi
1,173 Posts
I adapted the panel in my tailgate and added two lashing points which were out of the boot of a Mk4 Golf/Passat.

The fit looks very OEM and they are great for storing our body boards but also good for hanging wetsuits from when you're getting changed and packing the van up.

Cheers

Red5

·
Registered
281 Posts
Nothing like them! Unless people are going surfing in the arctic ;)
Or your diving suit is 3/2mm and stretchy.....5/4for the winter.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have a hanger with a fan in it that I use in the awning.
I always squeeze as much water out as possible and redo the legs during the evening and it is nearly dry next day.

It's always a balancing act as force drying them with loads of heat kills them and putting on a damp suit kills me! Lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get yourself a rip curl flash bomb. They dry unbelievably quick and yea I agree, nothing nice about putting on a cold and wet wettie. T:
Aw if only I hadn't got a new cypher suit at the start of the year I'd totally be getting a Flashbomb!! (other makes of quick drying suits are available I:)

@Red5
Thats a good idea dude, I've the tie downs from the floor which I could certainly use. Its just I've a barn door t4, with the rock and roll bed up against the doors... don't really want the wetsuit near it :(

Thanks for the ideas tho A:

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you're making a cupboard, I suggest you use a raw surface material (no lining over it) and make it with some depth (5cm or so).
Buy a polyester kit and some fiberglass, then put it on. I think this is the cheapest way. You could also buy a few sheets of plexiglass and just bolt it on the walls of the cupboard, then seal the connecting areas with silicone.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Unless you can give it a real good rinse the salt will stop it drying out properly anyway. Why not get another wettie so you can wear one and have the other drying at home?

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
If i was to do this, i'd probably get hold of a rear caravelle window with the vents in for the rear blower unit and fit that for ventilation, put some vinyl on the glass for privacy then build a waterproof cupboard around it. :ILU:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Just stick it in a box and put it on wet the next day, gonna get wet anyway so what's the big deal:*LOL:

The pro watersports conversion I have seen had a fibreglassed storage area under the units with an external drain.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I adapted the panel in my tailgate and added two lashing points which were out of the boot of a Mk4 Golf/Passat.

The fit looks very OEM and they are great for storing our body boards but also good for hanging wetsuits from when you're getting changed and packing the van up.

Cheers

Red5
love the use of this space

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Or mount roof bars and tie it on the roof by the arms....add a false head painted to look real...and dry as you drive along the M5 watching everyone thinking you have a surfer dude on your roof. :D

No, not a good idea, but just once you would like to I:

As to hanging and drying, do as the other do, try to keep it out of the van though. It will add so much damp into the van which never goes well. :)

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Rinse it through, drip the worst out, roll it up tight, swiss-roll style,in an old thick towel. Buy a diesel night heater for the van, drop a window a little and leave it hung in the van to dry I:
The rolled up towel thing works very well, by the way and will get a lot of the water out to give it a chance of drying.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts