VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an ex-AA. It's a 1999 and it's done 142k, the engine sounds sweet but there's quite a few knocks, bangs, rattles and squeaks coming from the each of the wheels when i go round corners, over pot-holes, apply the brakes etc. Also ive looked at the discs and the back ones are pretty deeply grooved so i reckon a full steering/suspension/bearings/brakes inspection and overhaul is called for. My brother-in-law is a mechanic and has his own small garage with all the kit but i doubt he's worked on many, if any, T4's before. On the plus side he's got discounts with local parts suppliers (Leicestershire) and will let me come and work with him so i can learn what's what.
My question is this:
Why wouldn't I just replace any worn parts with original VW supplied parts? I see that a lot of people seem to go for upgrades in this area. I'm not necessarily interested in the aesthetic of lowering but i am interested in anything that might offer a significant improvement in performance if there is not a humongous price increase, since a lot of it is going to be changed anyway.

B

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To be more specific, the parts most likely for replacement are:

Ball joints
Wheel bearings
CV joints
Brake discs
Brake pads
Shock absorbers
Springs
Steering rack
Track rod/ends

So, is it OEM/VAG all the way?
or are there some bits of that list that might as well be upgraded for an insignificant price increase?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
To be more specific, the parts most likely for replacement are:

Ball joints
Wheel bearings
CV joints
Brake discs
Brake pads
Shock absorbers
Springs
Steering rack
Track rod/ends

So, is it OEM/VAG all the way?
or are there some bits of that list that might as well be upgraded for an insignificant price increase?
my personal choice is yes genuine all the way mate plus you get a 2 year guarantee when you buy genuine,,its always worth checking with vw prices first cause sometimes there are cheaper plus they always fit **** on hope this helpsT:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. I think this is the way forward, it will also make it easier for him in ordering parts cos he will only need to specify original part numbers to his supplier rather than a list of bits that they probably won't have anyway. B

1 - 5 of 5 Posts