VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a red LWB and want a light / touch up respray the same colour, but want to get the plastic bumpers and mirrors done too. Any advice on good ways to do it / not do it etc, and an idea of price? I've heard horror stories of painting bumpers, but seen gleaming examples too.

Thanks, Hugo

·
Registered
140 Posts
there a few steps that go into painting the bumpers and mirror covers

1. Rub the plastic down with 180/240/320 to get rid of the texture, no less than 180 as this will damage (fur) the plastic, no more than 320 as it's just not needed

2. If possible go over with a scotch birte and degreaser, to get rid of solvent in the plastic and the mould release agents

3. Fully degrease, and prime with adhesion promoter, flexible adative then high build primer

4. Flat primer with 500/800 no less than 500 as this will show scratches when the paint goes on and no more than 800 as the scratches left will be too fine for the paint to sit in to

5. Fully degrease, then paint with chosen colour and/or lacquer

If it's done this way the paint will last just and long as any other and look good for that time also T:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cheers.

Thats ideal, just what I was after.

Will most spray shops do that in as much depth, or will some do a quick fix that will look / flake off after a few months?

Do you spray for a job, or do you just know about these things? And if so where are you based in Devon? I want a full touch up respray to my van (the same colour) but want to get the bumpers etc done as well.

Hugo

·
Registered
140 Posts
Cheers.

Thats ideal, just what I was after.

Will most spray shops do that in as much depth, or will some do a quick fix that will look / flake off after a few months?

Do you spray for a job, or do you just know about these things? And if so where are you based in Devon? I want a full touch up respray to my van (the same colour) but want to get the bumpers etc done as well.

Hugo
the quality of the job basically depends on how deep your pockets are bud, obviously there will be exceptions to this as some people in this trade just don't know what they are doing yet still charge high rates

i do spray for a job, i work in a small garage in kingsbridge, near plymouth and we do a job to a standard not a time limit

iv literally just got back from painting the body of my van after fully respraying it, if your after a price then exterior only with colour coded plastics would be somewhere around £1600 possibly more depending on condition, rust/dents etc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers.

I live in Germany but will probably be back in the UK around easter time for a couple of weeks so may arrange a time to pop in and get a proper quote.

Hugo

·
Registered
756 Posts
Sorry to jump in on this but am getting ready to do my bumpers as well.. how do you lighten the paint very slightly because when l did my wing mirrors ( 2k india blue ) they came out slightly darker than the rest of the van

thanks s

·
Registered
140 Posts
depends bud, did you lacquer them? where did you get your paint from? was it mixed from a scheme?

·
Registered
756 Posts
no I didn't lacquer them and l rang vw for a paint code and I went to place where I believe the local trade uses.

·
Registered
140 Posts
if you got it from a reputable supplier then the match should be prety close, it will never be 100% spot on but usually close enough to not wory about, they either didn't mix it correctly and put in too much of a specific tinter or your van needs a good polish to get it back to the original colour

if your woried about the match for the bumpers then get the supplier to match it to the specific colour of your van and not from the scheme

·
Registered
140 Posts
So will the primer make a big difference to the end result ???
primer as in, the high build?

yes if it's done the way i described, flat off texture then prime as opposed to fill the texture with the primer then it will make a massive difference

·
Registered
7 Posts
there a few steps that go into painting the bumpers and mirror covers

1. Rub the plastic down with 180/240/320 to get rid of the texture, no less than 180 as this will damage (fur) the plastic, no more than 320 as it's just not needed

2. If possible go over with a scotch birte and degreaser, to get rid of solvent in the plastic and the mould release agents

3. Fully degrease, and prime with adhesion promoter, flexible adative then high build primer

4. Flat primer with 500/800 no less than 500 as this will show scratches when the paint goes on and no more than 800 as the scratches left will be too fine for the paint to sit in to

5. Fully degrease, then paint with chosen colour and/or lacquer

If it's done this way the paint will last just and long as any other and look good for that time also T:
Hi, been getting ready to re-do one of my yellow mirrors and had to replace the other so staring from scratch on that one. i have a few more questions as this is more in depth than i was expecting!
firstly what's a scotch birte? Also what type of thing do you meen by flexible adative and where would i buy this?
Also if im going over the old mirror would i just flat off with the 500/800 grit then go over with the colour?
sorry so many questions but your clearly a man in the know!
cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts