VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bust lug on my jack cover on my T5 (7H5.868.433.A)

I have spoken to various owners who say this is a common problem but no one seems to have a decent fix? I could buy another (£40 second hand) but it looks like the same issue would happen again.

I have checked on 'thingyverse' as it looks ripe for a custom clip you glue into place - but I couldn't find anything. My Velcro solution didnt work.

Anyone have a decent fix?

I'm new to T5 ownership and am really surprised by the amount of design 'niggles' that have not been sorted after all this time being made?!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the only 'solution' I can find but seems a bit of a bodge and potential to cause more issues if the nail gets stuck

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have exactly the same issue - 11 plate Caravelle arrived last week and the cover was already flopping around in the boot. I was going to try stick-on velcro patches but sceptical about getting a good fix on old plastic. Failing that I think I still have some rare-earth magnets in the shed, although likely to still find it hard to get them to stick satisfactorily.

#da_murphster, what did you mean when you said "This is the only 'solution'..."? Were you referring to velcro or some other solution which you intended to link to?

We've also got a few other small bits of trim missing, a broken drivers door lower hinge, a temperamental sliding door handle which doesn't always make good contact with the switch for the solenoid valve... like you say, surprising the number of niggles!

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,712 Posts
Do you still have part of the plastic clip, or the clip itself? if you don't, it doesn't really matter.
Years ago I repaired a broken plastic clip on a battery compartment cover on a radio, using 'Bicarbonate of soda & Super glue'.

Amazingly strong, much stronger than Superglue on it's own. If you don't have the broken clip you can simply 'make' a new one and file it down to shape.

I just had a look on YouTube, there's loads of 'HowTos' on there.

Even if you had a replacement part 3D printed, chances are, bonding the two together would be problematic, the 3D printed part ( PLA ) Polylactic plastic, probably wouldn't bond to the ABS OEM jack cover. Bonding two different types of plastics requires special adhesives, somehow, Baking soda causes a reaction with the CA glue, almost like a Catalyst, making very hard.

It's time consuming, but certainly worth the effort.

TURK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts