VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

The MOT tester chap pointed out to me that my steering wheel has a little bit of play in it. Not the normal round and round play but up and down/side to side play. You can feel a little clunk if you grip the steering wheel and push it up and down or side to side.

I hadn't noticed it until he pointed it out, but it seems there may be a bearing needing replacing. Has anyone had this problem before?

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Yes i have-pain in the I:
The bearing in this pic i believe needs changing-no one's said how to on my post yet :*

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
i do believe there was a kit in the classifieds section.
theres been couple of threads you can use a socket etc to place on top and hit it .
i tried it and it made no difference so will worry when mots due LOL:

·
Registered
129 Posts
the shaft in the picture above looks to have been pushed down into the column, possibly to fit an aftermarket wheel?? but the problem is which i just had to sort today on mine is there is a soft plastic wedge ring behind the copper bearing which keeps the shaft tight but as you push the shaft down the ring dislocates itself and you get a really wobbly steering wheel.

what i had to do was to remove the top spring and remove the steering lock/barrel, then you should see the plastic wedge and a black spacer, what i done was add a 5mm shim between the wedge and spacer so that this brings the wedge further up the shaft and the refitted the barrel and spring and jobs a goodun.

i too thought the bearing was knackered but as you remove the barrel you'll see the problem, also it makes it easier to remove the barrel with the steering lock disabled. hope this helps im not the best at wording things but let me know how you get on T:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Folks,

I'm bringing this up from the past, as I've recently had my steering wheel off, and found out where the play is coming from. On mine it seems the bearing is loose in the column housing. If I rock the column, it moves ever so slightly, but enough to be noticable....

Any ideas for mending it?

Andy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Play up down and in out. Hit the washer and there is a similar spring arrangement on the back of the barrel tensioning the column in the opposite direction. The washer on this popped loose and now the rear spring and washer along with a black ring above it are floating on the column. Removed front washer and spring and column sunk into its housing and won't pull forward again. Bearing does look loose also.

Am going to remove barrel and investigate further as can't re-assemble or drive like it is. I'm guessing column has to be removed and bearing levered out then new one drifted in if it needs replacing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the shaft in the picture above looks to have been pushed down into the column, possibly to fit an aftermarket wheel?? but the problem is which i just had to sort today on mine is there is a soft plastic wedge ring behind the copper bearing which keeps the shaft tight but as you push the shaft down the ring dislocates itself and you get a really wobbly steering wheel.

what i had to do was to remove the top spring and remove the steering lock/barrel, then you should see the plastic wedge and a black spacer, what i done was add a 5mm shim between the wedge and spacer so that this brings the wedge further up the shaft and the refitted the barrel and spring and jobs a goodun.

i too thought the bearing was knackered but as you remove the barrel you'll see the problem, also it makes it easier to remove the barrel with the steering lock disabled. hope this helps im not the best at wording things but let me know how you get on T:
M8 I know you posted this years ago but I really need to know what shims you used & how you done it, cheers if you can - Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts