VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi hoping you guys could help. Was driving home from work yesterday and my Speedo started bouncing around erratically. As I got closer to home I conpletely lost the clocks no mileage display no Speedo temp or fuel. However when there's no key in the ignition the centre mileage display works. As soon as I turn the ignition on that goes off aswell. Also there's a intermittent relay clicking noise now and again when driving and the display flickers. Any idea would really appreciate it. Thanks

Ignition off

Ignition on engine running

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
First port of call I'd do is check all your earth cabling and fuses. After that, maybe look at removing the clocks to see if you've got a loose connection at the back of it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've checked all the fuses they seem ok as does the earth cable on the battery itself. Will check the back of the clocks. Is there Any other earths I should check. Thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hello,

I'm afraid I'm not sure exactly which clocks and year those are from but there are a couple of pdfs of wiring which look to me to be useful here (potentially)...

http://www.1946vw.co.uk/vwbooks/vw_info/T4_pdfs/T4_Base_Wiring_from_Jan_1996_on.pdf

I think the fact that there is no display when the ignition is off is pretty indicative of the problem here - there is also this which has some pin information for the instrument cluster but I'm afraid I don't know if it corresponds to yours:

http://www.1946vw.co.uk/vwbooks/vw_info/T4_pdfs/T4_VDO_Specific_Wiring_Diagrams.pdf

I'd be checking the wiring to the terminal 15 pins - that's the ignition switch positive. Also all the 31 connections…..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've checked all the fuses they seem ok as does the earth cable on the battery itself. Will check the back of the clocks. Is there Any other earths I should check. Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I've removed the clocks the plug was solid in the back tried removing and putting it back still no joy. The centre display is fin with no ignition but goes off when you turn the key. The only lights I'm getting are the handbrake and battery. No glow plug light no water or oil and no other readings. Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing very weird I've just noticed. If I start reversing a relay starts clicking it's head of and the dash goes nuts. Glow plug lights starts flickering to. Any ideas.

·
Registered
430 Posts
according to the first link, which I think is more relevant to your van clocks, the ignition wire is a white wire fed to pin 13 of the clock multi connector and goes from connector U2/1 on the back of the fuse box, and fed from E/1 via a black wire which joins again at H1/4 - which is fed directly from the ignition switch.

Pin 3 is earth and is also white. Pin 16 is also white and is connected to alternator D+ for the battery light. Pin 11 is also white and is powered from fuse 21 - is your radio and interior light working (They are also on this circuit). Pin 5 is also white and seems to be connected to an engine block earth point via fuse block G1/5.

I'd check these white wires and the links you can read off the diagram.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Reversing light is fed from fuse 14 which also feeds your 15A aux ignition feeds above the fuse box - have you got anything plugged in there? This sounds quite a lot like you have a short of some kind in the fuse box, or a very poor earth somewhere which is causing stuff from the clocks to earth through the reverse switch…. Definitely check those earths by the fuse box...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info people. I will look into all the earths. The only thing is it's had a 2.4 engine conversion. So looks like I'll be cleaning up someone else's mess the wiring ain't the best. Hopefully I manage to find the fault.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I dropped the fuse box on it and tbh I don't know where to start. I think it may be a job to big for me. Don't you think perhaps the clocks themselves could be faulty. Pretty gutted this is the second problem I've had in the last 2 weeks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i would also like to know if there is a fix for this. as this has happened to me as of this Tuesday ive had the clocks out checked fuses relays etc checking the wiring tomorrow myself checked everything in the engine bay. ive been struggling to find answers for this myself

·
Registered
430 Posts
Very frustrating mate - I sympathise. In some ways it makes it less likely that the clock's electrics are the problem.

Have you checked your ignition switch? If it was rumning before when the clocks went then it's unlikely but it's worth checking. Then check all those blocks on the back of the fuse box are securely clicked in.....

·
Registered
430 Posts
Also check your immobiliser box - I'm not that familiar with it on your van but it connects to the fuel shut off control and the clocks on pin 10

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I've had a look this morning and if I removed fuse 15 ta da. My clocks come back. However no glow plug light. I tested the wire going to the solenoid and she's live when off the solenoid but as soon as I touch it back on the solenoid the power goes dead. Could this be my solenoid is dead.

·
Registered
430 Posts
that's your engine management fuse I think - it talks to the immobiliser too - I'd be checking the engine management and immobiliser...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi it does not appear to have an immobilser. There's only one wire to the solenoid. I've noticed now that if I take that wire off my solenoid. my clocks go off again .

·
Registered
430 Posts
where's the solenoid fed from then? Trace it back I'd be interested to know...

If there's no immobiliser then I'm looking at the wrong wiring diagram - sorry about that...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just one wire goes straight back to the fuse box with a large relay number 137. All of what I have read and believe me I aint stopped reading since yesterday does not seem to cover my setup. I don't have a 109 relay. I don't have an immobiliser box on the pump. I just dunno what to do .

1 - 20 of 134 Posts