VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just purchased a set of new Borbet Xb alloys from another member here.

They look lovely, all new and shiny and perfect, like this:

I had fancied getting some new bolts for them, as the current ones are a bit old and rusty, Higgy said to get some 14mm 'taper' bolts not radius so I had this in the back of my head, but hadn't got round to it, as I believed these would go straight on anyway.

Had nice new tyres fitted on to them today - but at that point it went a bit wrong - the tyre place said they were concerned because my old wheel bolts were too big, and not taper - Dammit.

Kept the old wheels on and went over to the local alloy wheels / performance place to get new bolts. They initially weren't helpful as they didn't supply the wheels, but eventually came and had a look, and immediately disagreed - they said I needed to get 17mm bolts instead of 19mm, and 'radius' and not taper - offered one of each up and yes the radius bolt felt a much better fit, didn't move at all whereas the taper was a bit wobbly, not snug. The 19mm bolts I have, sit kind of on the lip and clearly don't fit right at all!

But - They couldn't supply them, don't stock them, and weren't very interested beyond that conversation.

Tried Breeze VW. Oh dear - totally uninterested - yes possibly a 17mm bolt from a different VW would fit but they certainly couldn't risk selling them to me! Can't help you with aftermarket wheels sir.

Tried Trents the breakers - They pointed me at an enormous plastic tub full of wheel bolts, and said feel free to try your luck... no joy there either.. A friendly mechanic friend then suggested that Mk4 Golf wheel nuts would be fine.

So, have come home somewhat disenchanted. I have four nice new alloys with nice new tyres, conflicting opinions on what size bolts I need, conflicting opinions on radius vs. taper too!

Ive googled the wheels to see if I can find out the taper vs. radius answer but got nowehere..

I've seen these on eBay at a way better price than VW (though I'd prefer black, I can always use black caps): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-ALLOY-WHEEL-BOLTS-FOR-VW-TRANSPORTER-T4-T5-VOLKSWAGEN-NUTS-W7-/230769697007?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35baf220ef

But Ive got myself confused now! Am not a wheels expert at all, so any advice or pointers would be much appreciated!

Thank you..

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok have made some progress, I think.

Found a copy of the official paperwork for the Borbet Xbs, there was a copy still in one of the boxes.

This states that the bolts should be M14 x 1.5 SPHERICAL wheel bolts, sphere diameter 25.6mm - I am assuming that is a clear indication of radius rather than taper!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
and just before you hit buy...try the blutack test...

radius on the left, tapered on the right, radius blutack impression int middle...was in a similar position with some wheels, as both bolts looked to fit ...turned out to be tapered in the end...but defo a 17mm head as a 19mm head/socket will destroy your wheel, if in fact you can get one in and on

:ILU:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts