VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1993 transporter,petrol,2l has an intermittent fault which garages have been unable to fix. The engine starts well and after driving for a while it just loses power and faulters and despite changing down i have to coast to a stop. It restarts after a few minutes and gets going again. It has been in 2 garages and they can’t get it to fault. The distributor and cap,HD leads, spark plugs have been replaced (all pricey) Now they say it is my fault as I’m not changing down soon enough. I’ve had the van for 7years and it’s been fine before this problem.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
The distributor and cap,HD leads, spark plugs have been replaced (all pricey)
those parts are not expensive:*

would have thought £30-£45 unless genuine vw :*

you can get guide-prices on ebay;)

Possibly fuel starvation, should the fuel tank be vented? If so is the vent blocked causing a vacuum? Good luck
my first thoughts... :*

Thank you. I did suggest this to the garage after someone suggested it to me.
easy to test, remove the fuel filler-cap & drive, if no issues then you know the fuel tank's breather is blocked (usually mud & easily cleanedA: )

another 'test' is, when driving & the 'issue' occurs, pull-over & stop. then go to the fuel filler & open it:* if theres a 'whoosh' or sucking sound then thats the fuel in the tank under a vacuum - shows that the breather system is blocked & the fuel pump cannot 'suck' fuel any moreT:

cheap & easy fix-option is to either drive around without the cap (not recomended as danger due to vapour as well as water / dirt entering the tank) or get a replacement 'vented' fuel-filler cap (OR get the breather cleared?)

another question...

whan was the fuel filter changed?

I've seen origonal vw fuel (petrol) filters on old cars & t4's as people either cannot be bothered / don't know / save money as 'it's working fine' etc. and these slowly block up causing starvation (& sometimes engine damage:eek: )

Rich. (harbinger of DOOMLOL: )

Rich.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your advice. I’ll take it out for a run now and follow your advice.
The garage has obviously overcharged without solving the problem.
The van is regularly serviced and had a new fuel filter in February.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well sadly that doesn’t seem to be the problem, after driving for about 20 mins going at about 60mph in 5th it started to mis so changed down it continued to lose power and as a pulled in the engine cut out. So quickly nipped round and took off the fuel cap but no whoosh at all. Anyway, started again and went quite well to the Kit Hill to walk the dog and came home quite happily.
I’m worried that I’m going to cause an accident when it cuts out.
All suggestions welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
You might want to check the cam and crank sensor. These can be borrowed from another car like the Golf 3 for testing. I think the cam sensor is built into the distributor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, as the distributor, cap and HD leads have been replaced I’m presuming the sensor is new too?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Icing up? I had a volvo that would happily run for half an hour then die. after 10 minutes it would start again and run for another half an hour or so. I never found any resolution as I sold the car !!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds like fuel starvation to me.

Has the garage done a fuel pressure test at the feed pipe.

Could be an iffy fuel pump. Dodgy hoses. Fuel regulator. And of course fuel filter.

Fuel regulators cost about £20 are easy to replace. Apparently they can mess around giving zero pressure. Check its vacuum tube isn't blocked/broken/has a hole in it, although this wouldn't cause it to stop working - just inefficiently.

I have heard that fuel pump relays can mess around with dirty contacts etc.

Do you hear a clicking sound from around the dash when the problem happens?

When did the problem start. Did it start soon after the fuel filter was replaced?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts