VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a ex aa 2.5tdi and i have has this horrible knocking noise that sounds like its coming from underneath the passengers feet. we have replaced the gearbox rubber and tortion bar half moon shaped mounts but i still have a real loud knocking noise when going over bumps. nothing at all has any visible slack and my mechanic is totaly stumped and is going to have to strip the whole front down to try and find what it is. just wondering if any of you guys would have any idea. cheers....trev

·
Registered
121 Posts
If its a t4 ball joint play is hard to find because the torsion bar loads the joints, put a bar beween the hub and the suspension arm and lever the joints to see if there is any play, inner bushes are prone to wear as well

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have a ex aa 2.5tdi and i have has this horrible knocking noise that sounds like its coming from underneath the passengers feet. we have replaced the gearbox rubber and tortion bar half moon shaped mounts but i still have a real loud knocking noise when going over bumps. nothing at all has any visible slack and my mechanic is totaly stumped and is going to have to strip the whole front down to try and find what it is. just wondering if any of you guys would have any idea. cheers....trev
This has happened to me a couple of times with various cars and recently drove my dad mad.........what it turned out to be was the top of the suspension struts working loose. Really hard to work out because the springs are so strong and you need to load them up to see if the nuts worked slightly loose, it may just need a slight bit of tension.

I,m not saying this is your problem but give it a whirl
and let me know
cheers

:ILU:

·
Registered
45 Posts
hey trev
Have you had any luck solving these problems ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Stickboy,

I've got exactly the same thing, but sound is coming from by Drivers feet.
Wonder if its from ball joints and sound/knocking is travelling along the antiroll bar???
Unlike on a car which you can use a crowbar to find movement and isolate the problem; the van is so solid nothing seems to move.
I'd be really grateful if you find what it is to let me know.
Will let you know likewise if i find an answer

Cheers The Duke

·
Registered
45 Posts
:) well its been a while but i have discovered this...

my local VW garage tells me that it could well be the drop links, On the early T5's they had a common problem with this but have now moved over to a better system. It could also be the rubber mounts that have perished at the top of the shock absorbers.If it is the rubber mounts you'll notice a crownching sound on full lock whilst doing 3 point turns etc, but if its just the rumble from uneven surfaces (pot holes shocking roads) its more likley to be the drop links !

i hope this helps as theres not much info coming from else where I:

What do you all think ??????

cheers :ILU:

·
Registered
17 Posts
first of all if you drop link has gone you can check it yourself just jack the vechile up from the sill not the lower arm and try and move it if it moves it is knackered it is only 2 nuts to undo and tighten each side to replace them = no garage bill

if you think the strut bolt is lose take off your wipers and the plastic trim at the bottom of the windscreen there are no clips just pull from one side gently remove the rubber strut mount covers and tighten youself = no garage bill

lower ball joint may be goosed try tighten it youself = no garage bill

it could be that the rubber mount or the strut top bearing is tottaly shagged you will need help you can not remove the strut by yourself it is far to heavy also involves removing the brake caliper, ball joint , track rod . drop link ,getting the bloody thing off the drive shaft absolute nightmare if you do not have the right tools this is why i use a good local garage and watch and learn and give them a hand if needed

·
Registered
17 Posts
forgot to mention if you take the strut off get your wheels realigned or more tyre expense will hit your pocket due to uneven wear

1 - 10 of 10 Posts