VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering selling my l200 animal and getting a t4 5 to use/convert to a camper dayvan. I have a few questions which i need answering to help me decide on what to do.

what is considered the best engine for mpg and general driving? 1.9td or the 2.5tdi?
Is the legal speed limit the same for vans, multivans and windowed vans? i.e. 70mph on the motorway?
How much longer is the lwb and are they worth the extra £?

I have been offered a relitivley clean 800 special for £1300 with 12months mot recent cambelt and alternator. Id that a reasonable price? its a 1998 van.

Thanks T:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Fuel economy is about the same for both. The 1.9 as a smaller engine will naturally use a little less juice, but in practice is worked harder than a 2.5 making it less economical.

Vans are lower speed limits, cars and campers are higher speed limit. Check the V5 against the DVLA website for best info.

LWB are 40cm longer. Look at the back of the sliding door and where it meets the front of the rear wheel arch on a SWB. There's 40cm more there on a LWB. I love my LWB for camping as it's got plenty of room with the bed out. A SWB always looks a bit cramped. Depends on your plans though, you won't find may LWB's about compared to SWB's

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
1300 sounds a good buy if it is a reasonably clean van, especially if its just had the major service done. That sort of money you aint gonna loose.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for that guys, i will look to see what category the van is. Veg oil is something i have overlooked really. I run my l200 on bio in the summer to save a few quid. Wont the 2.5 pump take veg oil? What are things to look for when buying a van? Any expensive problems to look out for?

·
Registered
692 Posts
My tip would be to reverse up a slight incline, if it judders, you could be looking at a new DMF and clutch. £1200!

Try and get a LWB it may only be 400mm but dont forget that becomes quite a big difference in volume (cubed) = 64000000!

Makes you think!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Definitely go LONG! as said above, it only looks like a little extra length, but it makes a huge difference inside! Harder to find, but keep your eyes open, they are around to be found...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what year did they start using dmf? Those things are awful!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Definitely go for a LWB if you're going to turn it into a camper, you won't have any real problems driving/parking etc and the extra space is great.

Also just because it's a camper don't assume you get the higher speed limits, if it started life as a panel van you'll still be restricted to van limits. Like JohnDave says, check the V5 to be sure.

2.5tdi is very nice to drive, never driven a 1.9 to compare it to though. Also you can fit cruise control to a 2.5 very easily and for about £75 :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts