VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I bought a 57 plate SWB VW T5 with a tailgate which will be going back to the garage I got it from but the lockdown hit the day before this was arranged and they have now shut down for the duration.

I had intended to fit a snazzy new double din and rear parking camera but obviously not if its going back. The problem is it is bigger than I am used to parking, I have discovered among other issues the parking sensors are wrecked and due to the lockdown there are badly parked vehicles everywhere that are not being moved. I am a shift working keyworker so have to move regularly at all hours and use on road parking...... preferably without impaling anything with the tow hook and losing my no claims.

I dont want to mess with the wiring if avoidable so is there a simple plug and play system eg 1 wire from the monitor to a cigarette lighter/usb and another from the camera, feed the camera through the door seal, temp fix with a removeable sticky pad or suction cup, tape trailing wire up out of the way, bobs your uncle quick and dirty fix achieved. Ive tried looking online but keep running into ones that require removing the radio or attaching to the vans electric and nipping into have a chat with someone who knows about these things is obviously not an option.

I am going to have to order online and fit myself so the simpler the better for now. Im looking for cheap and cheerful unless it has different powering options that would allow it to be tidily wired in and more permanently fitted later. Any ideas gratefully received.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Garmin have produced this camera. ........

I use the Garmin camera that is wired and connected onto my reverse light feed and transmits wirelessly to my Garmin sat nav unit.

Hope this helps
It was the wiring into the reversing lights I was hoping to avoid. I am going to return the van as soon as travel restriction is lifted so was hoping for something i can literally just plug in. Thought there might be a system around for people who swap vehicles a lot and so cant/dont want to wire in. Thanks for the thought though 🙂

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the wiring into the reversing lights I was hoping to avoid. I am going to return the van as soon as travel restriction is lifted so was hoping for something i can literally just plug in. Thought there might be a system around for people who swap vehicles a lot and so cant/dont want to wire in. Thanks for the thought though 🙂
Reading more closely, is it the sat nav itself you have wired in not the camera Would it work manually if Satnav was just plugged in ( sorry brain fog as just woken up from nights!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Garmin have produced this camera. ........

I use the Garmin camera that is wired and connected onto my reverse light feed and transmits wirelessly to my Garmin sat nav unit.

Hope this helps
Reading more closely, is it the sat nav itself you have wired in not the camera Would it work manually if Satnav was just plugged in ( sorry brain fog as just woken up from nights!)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah. The Garmin sat nat unit plugs into the cigarette lighter and it looks like the Garmin camera is supplied with replaceable batteries and connected via Bluetooth to the sat nav unit itself

As I said, I use the camera that’s wired into the reverse feed and it works for me. This camera looks like an update to avoid any wiring at all.
You would obviously need to ensure the camera is comparable with the sat nav unit itself👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah. The Garmin sat nat unit plugs into the cigarette lighter and it looks like the Garmin camera is supplied with replaceable batteries and connected via Bluetooth to the sat nav unit itself

As I said, I use the camera that’s wired into the reverse feed and it works for me. This camera looks like an update to avoid any wiring at all.
You would obviously need to ensure the camera is comparable with the sat nav unit itself👍
Unfortunately it is garmin compatible only. Not having owned anything with a parking camera I had assumed i would need a power source and was not asking google the right questions! battery powered had not occured as an option, but I have now found a magnetic hitch cam that is battery powered, links to my phone and doubles as a reversing camera, with decent reviews and at a price I can live with so thanks for the helpful steer 👍👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to hear you’ve found a solution. Do you have a link to the camera?
went for this one as it had quick delivery, its main downside is it has an on off switch but as i dont work far away i can just switch it on when i leave and off after i park

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to hear you’ve found a solution. Do you have a link to the camera?
oops it posted when i tried to paste the link so Ill try again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts