VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on insulating and plying my van this week and have been doing a bit of research on the best way to tackle it. I have decided to buy pre machined ply rather than do it myself as I don't really have the facilities. Can anyone reccomend a kit to me as I'm struggling to distinguish between the qualitys of what I've found online and there are quite a mixture of prices??

Another question, what thickness of ply has everyone gone for? I plan on having some speakers attached to the ply so I don't want it to be too thin that it can support the weight. Also maybe some shelving in the future!

And finally, do the kits come with holes that match up to the holes already drilled in the vans metal work? Or do I have to drill the holes into the metal myself?

Any help would be muchly appreciated here as I want to get it ordered so it arrives before Christmas!!

Cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did my van earlier this year, can't recall the ply supplier, but one of the people who sell on fleabay. Roof panels were all drilled and correct for the trim fasteners (I'd ordered extra long fasteners), tailgate panel and sliding door panel were also correctly drilled for fasteners. All other panels needed drilling, no big deal...
I guess the important thing is to work out what you want your finish to look like. Some folk will fit panels and then carpet over all the seams to make, well, a seamless finish. Others, myself included, will trim each panel and the exposed bits of metalwork in the van, making the panels removable if needed. If you're going to fit some speakers, just put an extra thickness of ply in the area you're fitting the speakers to. Got to keep an eye on the weight!
Lastly, if you haven't done any trimming yet with the spray glue and four way stretch carpet, don't worry, easy peasy and lots of fun!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts