VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick question for you all,, im just about to PLY the floor 9mm has any one used MDF? was thinking it wont bend or warp the same finish on the edges is better, i know its more for mosture but if you prime it first?

just wonderd if any one uses it. cant see why not,, any thoughts? :*

·
Special Rapporteur
9,800 Posts
I wouldn't. If you get a water leak and water sits on it for any length of time it doesn't matter how much you've tried to prime it - it will go to mush pretty quickly...

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Mdf will warp if there is any dampness present, it's like a sponge. Ply is so much better & more rigid.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Left a square of MDF outside all winter and it did not warp twist or crumble, having said that i would not use it myself being a joiner i did not use it for years but started using it inside for certain jobs now love the stuff, for internal paintable useage you cant beat it but like i said i would not use it in a van even the green weather stuff, ply is a lot stronger by its nature being laminated the tighter and more laminates you get the stronger it is and £ more :ILU:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep MDF is like a sponge, but unless you get WBP PLY, that to will separate if it gets wet,,, so is that the answer then WBP,,, ?

·
Registered
603 Posts
yep MDF is like a sponge, but unless you get WBP PLY, that to will separate if it gets wet,,, so is that the answer then WBP,,, ?
sorry should have put that, far eastern is a nice ply to work with it has a symble on it from memory its a seal in a curcle i dont look any more just use it Gray. no harm in sealing the end grain as well if you want :ILU:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You would have to get the ply pretty wet for it to de-laminate.
If you think about it, when vans are ply lined it's only the cheap stuff that is used & that can get quite a going over.
A small quantity of water would only stain it.

It's not like you're going to drive through a ford with the doors open.:D

·
Registered
603 Posts
You never know some folks follow sat navs LOL: i would use the more expensive ply but then i like to use the best i can afford and no im not very well off just think if you use the best you can afford then it cant or should not come back on you as a floor is under everything so not coming out easy but again its a case of you pay your money you take your choice Gray. :ILU:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Well folks, to be honest, you could argue I know better, what with being a chippy in earlier years and 20 years plus in the sheet material trade.

But bo&&ocks. The floor in our T4 was and I believe still is 15mm mdf, with carpet tiles over it and went in 8 years ago. I used the van for surfing, windsurfing and snowboard trip duties and the guy who owns it now is RNLI crew.

Three years ago I took out all the furniture to find a "lost" torch and the floor was absolutely fine.

MDF is used in kitchen furniture, gym locker rooms etc after all. No you don't want to leave it slopping in water, but it's not exactly tissue paper.

It's as good as the day it went in.

Admittedly my t5 floor is 9mm birch plywood and I've spilt 3 litres of water all over that 1 I::D

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
sorry should have put that, far eastern is a nice ply to work with it has a symble on it from memory its a seal in a curcle i dont look any more just use it Gray. no harm in sealing the end grain as well if you want :ILU:
You will be very lucky to find traditional "far eastern " ply any more. Almost all red-faced "hardwood" ply in the uk these days is from China and not very well made at all. Frankly I'd rather use mdf . Birch is the way to go with ply if ply is what you need.
Keep the thinner Chinese stuff for ply lining, again, if ply is your material of choice.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
You can use either as BigCat quite rightly says.

Longitivity on a van floor is equal measure as it just wont get the exposure to ruin either under normal circumstances.

Personal preference is ply. Reason, its stronger per thickness ratio. Its more expensive but 9mm BFP as Dave has used is solid enough and would outlast the van - 9mm mdf wouldnt be up to it for long.

Also, mdf is horrid dusty stuff to cut - splut splut

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have no problem with screws in MDF you just need the right screws,, i like plasterboard screws on MDF hold great to,,, any way
im still unsure yet MDF or PLY,,,, i have worked with MDF in the wet and it it quite hardy,, true if it gets soking(and i mean soaking) it will bend,,, but then PLY dose start to split,, oh what is one to do,,,, :*

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
If anyone know's anything about sheet materials it's Dave (bigcat) in fact I'd go so far to say "don't EVER talk about ply or any other sheet material at a show" or you will be there for a VERY long time :D

Seriously, he know's his onions that one ;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
i have no problem with screws in MDF you just need the right screws,, i like plasterboard screws on MDF hold great to,,, any way
im still unsure yet MDF or PLY,,,, i have worked with MDF in the wet and it it quite hardy,, true if it gets soking(and i mean soaking) it will bend,,, but then PLY dose start to split,, oh what is one to do,,,, :*
Didn't say you couldn't screw into MDF, I have built many an item out of MDF which I have glued and/or screwed many of which are in daily use and still going strong today, however I did say it won't hold a screw as well as ply. Doesn't matter what screw you use in MDF it won't withstand loosening through vibration or being knocked as well as the equivalent screw in the same thickness ply. Worth pointing out, especially for an environment such as a campervan interior which will be subject to vibration and knocks on a regular basis.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You will be very lucky to find traditional "far eastern " ply any more. Almost all red-faced "hardwood" ply in the uk these days is from China and not very well made at all. Frankly I'd rather use mdf . Birch is the way to go with ply if ply is what you need.
Keep the thinner Chinese stuff for ply lining, again, if ply is your material of choice.
Like I said I've left MDF out all winter and it performed well I do like the stuff even I resisted it in the early days being a traditionalist, just goes to show how out of touch I've got everything's made in china now T5s will be next, anyway what you use is down to personal choice :ILU:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Let's be honest here. Only an idiot is going to screw something permanent, or structurally important for furniture to a 9mm floor alone.
Are they ?
Things like that will be fixed directly to the van's metal framework, probably via nutserts or bolted though load lashing points.

·
Registered
85 Posts
For what it's worth I've used both, and I would do MDF every time now.

The reason for this is that you can buy MDF in sheets big enough to do the floor in one piece. Don't get me wrong, they are not the easiest to man-handle, but when they are down you will never see any joins in your floor covering. Two person job, mind. 8x4 sheet of ply, one pair of hands, so this might need to be considered too.A:

·
Registered
603 Posts
For what it's worth I've used both, and I would do MDF every time now.

The reason for this is that you can buy MDF in sheets big enough to do the floor in one piece. Don't get me wrong, they are not the easiest to man-handle, but when they are down you will never see any joins in your floor covering. Two person job, mind. 8x4 sheet of ply, one pair of hands, so this might need to be considered too.A:
Ply comes in 10`x 5` as well again down to choice, one thing i would not use is sterling board :ILU:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Well folks, to be honest, you could argue I know better, what with being a chippy in earlier years and 20 years plus in the sheet material trade.

But bo&&ocks. The floor in our T4 was and I believe still is 15mm mdf, with carpet tiles over it and went in 8 years ago. I used the van for surfing, windsurfing and snowboard trip duties and the guy who owns it now is RNLI crew.

Three years ago I took out all the furniture to find a "lost" torch and the floor was absolutely fine.

MDF is used in kitchen furniture, gym locker rooms etc after all. No you don't want to leave it slopping in water, but it's not exactly tissue paper.

It's as good as the day it went in.

Admittedly my t5 floor is 9mm birch plywood and I've spilt 3 litres of water all over that 1 I::D

All very interesting and as I'm about to put a floor in my LWB .....
Where, locally is the best place to purchase the aforementioned materials ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts