VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just removed the bulkhead out of my first van.

Next i want to get the floor down! I will be using 12mm ply as looking over the forum that seems the best idea! :)

But I just dont know how to fix the ply down?

Please could people express their feelings on the best way to fix it! Also what could I use to make it quieter in the van i was thinking of using like a wooden floor underlay to soften everything, and hopefully insulate and stop a bit of sound as at the moment a bare shell van is SO loud!

Please help as I want to get the floor down this weekend!

:D

·
Registered
794 Posts
It all depends on what is going in the back of the van ie seats.

I have Mazda Bongo seats and rails fitted in mine and had to build the floor up to hide the chunky runners.

If you see my build thread in my signature it will become clear how to do it but basically -

Cut strips of 1x2 timber to the width of the floor.
Bond the timber to the floor using sykaflex (thats just a well know brand name. If you go to any car paint suppliers they will have a decent adhesive that you can use)
In between the strips of wood, fit 25mm celotex boards for insulation.
Cut your 12mm ply to fit and screw to the timber batons.

This will raise your floor level.
You could just bond the ply to the metal floor using the adhesive, but dont expect it to be easy to remove should you need to.
If you are just want an open van area, with no furniture or seats then cut some sound deadening material and just fit the ply over the top without any fixings. If you cut it to the correct profile around the wheel arches, it wont move anywhere.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I framed the floor with 10x50mm PSE, glued (with "Sticks Like ") and screwed. Then packed the frame with sheeps wool insulation. Sheeps wool is the better option as it doesn't retain moisture, but most vans get plenty of airing so I've never heard of any problems occuring from regular loft insulation. The framing then gives a good solid base to screw to.
I'd have preferred to use polystyrene under the ply or loft board, but wanted to keep the floor as low as possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts