VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

PMS3V/H & split charging details...

17K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Dubjon 
#1 ·
Hi all,
after reading through so many threads, ive decided to simply ask the question instead...
I've bought myself a set of units which come with a Waeco cr50 fridge, water pump, smev hob(with ignition) and a 'PMS3V/H unit' installed in the cupboard.

I'm ready to purchase the leisure battery, cable, relays etc to install all of these components but not 100% sure what i actually need... or in which way to install.
i believe i take a 12v supply from the battery via a 16mm cable to a BEP VSR relay onwards to my leisure battery which is situated under the passenger seat. My negative will be clamped from battery ve- to the nearest chassis bolt etc.
From here im quite anaware how the PMS3V/H unit comes into it. so any help/tips pics, examples and even places to purchase these kits would be amazing. Thanks before hand..Ashleigh

#2 ·
Hi Ashleigh

I have a pms3h fitted it's a full electrical control and distribution box including a leisure battery charger.
In short you wire up your 240v hook up socket direct to this.
And your leisure battery via some heavy 12v twin double insulated cable, this also will charge the leisure battery when on hook up should you wish.

That's the feed side of things.

Then use the appropriate feeds in the PMS for your 240 skt's and 12v lighting and plugs.
Wire your fridge direct to the battery using the appropriate fuse, I didn't use the fridge supply on the pms as its really only for when the engine is running.

The pms should cost around £180.00

Good luck hope this helps.

Dave mac.

T:T:T:T:T:T:T:

#3 ·
ok... so i have a cable coming out of the pms3 unit with 2core twin and earth flexi cable which was factory installed..... is this the units supply? if so, would this be connected straight to a 240v hook up? also the leisure battery supply to the unit, is this cable the same cable used when recharging the battery from the pms? thanks again, ashleigh

#4 ·
Hi Ashleigh

That's right I used a 30amp junction box for the 240v joint.

And yes the 12v lead handles both feed and charge. ( when used to charge the leisure battery it feeds the 12v demand at the same time)

Have a look at my build thread (The Build so far ) T5 Conversions.

PM me if you need any info mate.

Cheers
Dave.

T:T:T:T:T:

#6 ·
AHH, Now im getting somewhere ha! thankyou both for your help, as always much appreciated and much needed...all thats now complete, EXCEPT my waeco cr50f fridge, i see alot of people using a direct supply from the leisure battery to power this? and not using the dedicated fuse within the pms due to it having to be hooked up for the fridge to work? is this correct and if so, is it as simple as wiring the fridge straight to the battery with say an inline fuse?
Cheers, ashleigh

#8 ·
sorry lads, 1 more final question... all thats now complete (thanks alot!) ive run supply from leisure batt. to the pms, i notice theres also a connection for the main battery in the pms, do i need to run this? if so whats it used for? thanks again. Ash

#10 ·
This allows you to power anything connected via the pms unit from the starter battery (should you have a leisure battery failure). It also allows you to charge the starter battery via the hook up lead which can be useful during lay up periods.
Personally I cant see any reason to not run it as it can be useful now and then and only needs one extra wire and fuse run.

#12 ·
The wire from the pms to the car battery is there to either charge the car battery via the built in charger (max charge rate 18amps), or to provide power to anything that is wired to the pms from your car battery ( not a likely occurrence due to the fact that you will mostly use your leisure battery for this). However as you could use either battery to power the same things, then you should wire and fuse accordingly.
On the basis that the charge current is likely to be the biggest charge this wire gets, we use 33amp thinwall (3mm). We fuse this at 25a.
Hope this helps a bit.

#14 ·
Resurrecting an old thread here!

The van we bought already has a PMS in it, but the hook up was never wired in.

Now got a mains supply on it, but I cant seem to see how the wires on the MCB for the sockets wire I'm connecting stay in place, it's the black bits on the right of the photo

There's no screws on it like on the 12v blocks to hold the wires in place as far as I can see :confused:

#16 ·
Yes...they are a push fit. Strip about 10mm at the end of the cable and twist a smooth end on it. Then push the outer button in (Quite stiff and may need extra pair of hands). Then push in the stripped end of the cable, taking care not to untwist any strands that could short on the next wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.