VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
My heater control on my van broke would only blow hot not so bad at the mo but a bugger in the summer im sure. Anyway after reading some threads on t4 (best forum ever!) it seems that t4 heater controls are hard to come by & expensive but a good alternative is either a mk3 golf or mk4 polo .
So of to evil bay i went & brought a mk4 polo one for £4.99 bargain me thinks. This morning postie arrived & i set straight to work, lubbly jubbly in it went with out any hassle at all T:,but when i tried it the blower to the screen did,nt seem as good . So i thought would investigate so i took the polo one back out & compared it to the t4 one .I found that the third/right control worked different on each ,the arms on the polo work in the same direction ie when you turn the dial from screen round to the other side they move all the way across together.
On the t4 control the top lever move,s across but the lower lever moves across half way round switching the dial then moves back the other way as you continue to turn,which i assume must move the flaps into such position that it blows stronger when set to the screen ,looking at them both it seems that the drive gear that operates the arms must be different . So i thought i would try & take them appart to see. After some head scratching i soon figured out how they came apart & i soon had the t4 drive gear fitted in the polo switch control (really quite easy once you figure out how it comes apart).
With job done i set about refitting it & bobs your uncle it blows real strong again :)
Sorry for going on a bit but was,nt sure if anyone else had come across this hope this helps anyway.

Cheers Seany

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
yep - we found the demister blow was weak after fitting similar - saves us nvestigating - thanks

--------------------------------------

A: it has to have a high top - & a choke - & cold air only centre vents -& A HEATER CONTROL THAT BREAKS

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Have been promised a new heater control by the people I bought the van off.
Still waiting.
Not a problem as I know how to manually turn the heating from hot to cold but annoying all the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts