VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old T4 2.4 diesel 1992 has spoor brakes.
When pushing the foot brake the pedal goes down a little but not as far as usual.
When it stops depressing it feels like its up against something hard, in the way!
It's just like some one put a lump of wood behind the pedal. The van stops eventually, but not
quickly enough. Any ideas as to how I can tie it down to the right part?
Cheers
Wulfrun

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
When pushing the foot brake the pedal goes down a little but not as far as usual.
When it stops depressing it feels like its up against something hard, in the way!
It's just like some one put a lump of wood behind the pedal. The van stops eventually, but not
Cheers
Wulfrun
I would be more worried if the pedal went all the way to the floor :eek::eek::eek:

24 year old systems are not as good as vehicles built today ........................ You need to check out all components very closely, and change the fluid too (very often overlooked) T:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your very insightful reply, how ever!:bhd
I can get very close especially with my spanner.
Thing is where do I start...................
wulfrun

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cheers
Wulfrun
It could be the brake servo is not working. Check the vacuum hoses and pump.

Good Luck

·
Registered
573 Posts
Your are describing lack of vacuum assist via servo. Either vac leak, vac pump failure, servo failure. Check in that order. All vac lines from vac pump to servo and connections. The output of vac pump. Little note:. The cabin vent system uses vac to actuate the cabin recirculation flap. If this actuator fails it will vac in the on position. Make sure cabinet recirculation button is no depressed, check if brakes are better. I had to mess around for 4 hrs to work that out.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Change the vacuum hoses for new ones and as said change your brake fluid. Both cheap and likely to make a big difference. They did for me. Are you asking how to change the fluid by the way? I didn't understand fully.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Keep it simple.
Changing the brake fluid is a can of worms.....if a bleed nipple breaks you will be pulling calipers and maybe more (sometimes full stocking the MC will cause it to fail..btdt). If you have a hard pedal you don't need to change brake fluid, you have hydraulic pressure just no assist, fix the assist(servo/vac system). To other posters the OP indicates beginner's knowledge of mechanical systems keeping it simple is best.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Poor brakes T4 1992 lwb 2.4d

Hi Thanks for the replies
Good of you all.
Looking at the cost of parts £150 Vacuum Reservoir, £250 master cylinder I am wondering how to make the right choice first.
Renewing the brake fluid is OK I have done this on several vehicles. Changed slave cylinders and always do my own brake linings,
Disc's etc.
Should the tube going in to the vac reservoir be sucking or blowing,..............
Any practicable suggestions gratefully received.
Cheers
Wulfrun T:

·
Registered
573 Posts
First things first. Turn on engine pull the big tube out of the servo reservoir (what you call the vac reservoir?) Is there vac?..if you put your finger on the end of the tube is there suck? If not check to make sure that there are no leaks in tubing (or disconnects)from the servo vac tube back to the vac pump. Other tips with engine off and a tight vac/tubing system there is still vac in the reservoir. Did you read my previous post re the cabin recirculation button, this will bleed off all the vac as well. All vehicle repair is diagnostics, without accurate diagnosis you are wasting time and money.
Gonna say it again

bleeding your brakes is not required with the symptoms you describe,

sure it's good PM but getting my van back to work is always the priority.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
There is an order to doing things as suggested. Its not worth bleeding the system until its working properly. Unless the symptoms suggest its a fluid problem.
Certainly sounds like a servo problem to me and above suggestions are good.
Given that brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) it is essential to observe the recommended fluid change periods. failure to do so results in water corrosion from the inside out, and if brakes get hot the fluid boils and you have NO brakes at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you ZUBZUB
There is no suck! I assume from that that the vacuum pump is duff?
The connections to the cabin environment were disconnected years ago by the previous owner.
My old van is purely a work horse, I haven't ever played with the cabin controls. (pointless)
It doesn't tick as mentioned in other posts, perhaps the spring has bust.
I'll just have to dismantle it and see.
Thank you every one for the help.
We learn a little every day
Cheers Wulfrun A:

·
Registered
573 Posts
OK so now u may need a new pump. The 2.4 diesel had two different cam lobes for the vac pump. This means that depending on the pump and the cam lobe hNges the pushrod length. There are two pushrod length...can't remember them right now. In case you get a new pump. People rebuild the pump.

·
Registered
330 Posts
First check the pipe from the vacuum pump to the servo for any cracks splits etc that could cause a leak, certainly cheaper than a new vac pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts