VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Why is it that my T4 headlamps are so poor?

I have changed the bulbs to as high a wattage as I can legally use, and they are still not good! The reflectors seem ok. I hear that this is a common problem on T4 s.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks folks.

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
:eek: £200!!!

You need an upgraded loom in the T4.. Your right it is a common problem..Thing is the headlight loom is so long they only draw around 10v instead of 12v.. Upgade loom is around £35 and its plug and play.. There's a few Traders on here who supply them or have a search on the net.. :ILU:

·
Registered
26 Posts
hi there i have same problem i got better bulbs from halfords supose to be 120% brighter and made no diffrence they went back today they where supose to be 25 pound each but they where by one get one free i thought that would do it but no so dont waste your time and money doin this as wont solve the problem im going to try a upgrade loom from upspex search on here for the bloke theres quite alot about them sounds good to me i will post if so once iv done it the bloke suplys everything you need in the kit bulbs wiring all of it job lot its 35 to 45 pound aint found out yet in proses of sorting it out now www.travelvolts.com this is his web site but u will find him on here and just pm him A:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi,

Fitted my upgrade wiring loom yesterday and it really does make a difference and I dont even know what bulbs are in the lights :eek:

Well worth the money before you go spending on anything else.

ChrisW

P.S. Get your lights aligned as well that could make a difference depending if they have been played around with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fit the upgrade loom and bulbs from Upspex on here. Its a piece of p$ss to do and thats coming from an electrical idiot - takes about 20 minutes. The difference is MASSIVE!! on main beam I can hear angels singing very very good T:T:T:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Fit the upgrade loom and bulbs from Upspex on here. Its a piece of p$ss to do and thats coming from an electrical idiot - takes about 20 minutes. The difference is MASSIVE!! on main beam I can hear angels singing very very good T:T:T:
I'll second that. get his kit with the osram bulbs and you wont regret it

·
Trade Member Plus
1,965 Posts
Its a common fault with the standard VW wiring, a lot of voltage drop. If you get an upgrade kit then what it does is it provides the head lights with more voltage direct from the battery.

If you've got any more questions then just ask T:
Abi

·
Trade Member Plus
1,965 Posts
Hi there, How big a job is it to change the loom ?
Thanks
Does one kit cover both headlamps ? And where can I get them ? THANKS AGAIN
Hi Chap, they are fitted within minutes and all the kits that are around come with instructions, they do cover both headlamps and a few traders on here do themI:

As someones mentioned, type in headlamp upgrade in the search field and all should be shownT:

Jay*<:)>

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that. Seem to be too simple to believe! Do you thinks I need to get special bulbs also, or will my Halfords higher wattage bulbs be OK ? I've heard that using higher power bulbs burns out the connections.

Thanks again for all the advice - Great forum !A:

·
Trade Member Plus
1,965 Posts
Thanks for that. Seem to be too simple to believe! Do you thinks I need to get special bulbs also, or will my Halfords higher wattage bulbs be OK ? I've heard that using higher power bulbs burns out the connections.

We have been talking with a very large bulb manufacture and they have been very good with providing information regarding the life and performanceT:, to sum this up very quickly they said that as a rule of thumb, the stronger the bulb, +90, +100, +150 etc etc reduces the life span of the bulbs compared to the standard ones, but these are far more effective (brighter lights) than standard bulbs.

Lots of peeps on here have used many different brand of bulbs and are very happy with themT:, im sure something should kick up in the search field chapT:

I hope this has helped a littleT:

jay*<:)>

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

It is a very simple and believable job, can be done in minutes. literally, all it takes. cut a few wires here, crimp a few there, attach some to the battery, job done.

i have used the normal bulbs that were in it, when they go i will upgrade them to the better ones, but it is nice to see where you driving.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Originally Posted by workshop05 View Post

Thanks again for all the advice - Great forum !

I visited Xtreme vans last week, bought their T4 headlight upgrade loom for £30 and fitted it yesterday. Kit comes with idiot-proof, illustrated instructions and it took me 25 minutes to complete the job, start to finish. It's simple plug-and-play! I can now spot the pot-holes that adorn the streets around Merseyside and go some way to protecting my alloys and suspension...

Here's the link to the upgrade kit http://www.xtremevan.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5041

If you need to speak with someone ask for Abi or Ade who are both extremely helpful, knowledgable and all-round nice guys!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just fitted my loom upgrade. Great result! I decided to keep all the cable at the top of, and across the bulkhead, using strong cable ties to secure it to the brake pipes, then behind the wiper linkage. This seems much easier than down below the radiator.

This may help.*<:)>

·
Trade Member Plus
1,965 Posts
Originally Posted by workshop05 View Post

Thanks again for all the advice - Great forum !

I visited Xtreme vans last week, bought their T4 headlight upgrade loom for £30 and fitted it yesterday. Kit comes with idiot-proof, illustrated instructions and it took me 25 minutes to complete the job, start to finish. It's simple plug-and-play! I can now spot the pot-holes that adorn the streets around Merseyside and go some way to protecting my alloys and suspension...

Here's the link to the upgrade kit http://www.xtremevan.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5041

If you need to speak with someone ask for Abi or Ade who are both extremely helpful, knowledgable and all-round nice guys!
Thanks for the feed back and glad that you are happy with the resultT:, this kit even keeps my wife away from the pot holesI:

many thanks

jay*<:)>

·
Registered
541 Posts
hi all i had the same problem so when i bought my van so i immediately purchased an hid kit..i have fitted this and lights are at least twice as bright now..my question is if i fit the loom as well with this make them brighter still ? or do the transformers eliminate the problem?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
hi all i had the same problem so when i bought my van so i immediately purchased an hid kit..i have fitted this and lights are at least twice as bright now..my question is if i fit the loom as well with this make them brighter still ? or do the transformers eliminate the problem?
No mate, it won't make them brighter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts