VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I wondered if anyone else has this strange symptom. My 2.5TDi fires up straight away hot or cold when the fuel tank is full and down to around half-full. Lower than half full it takes longer to start and when really low can take quite a few cranks and usually a 2nd attempt before it catches.

There is definitely a pattern to this so it's not my imagination as I've been monitoring it and it seems to be independent of air temp (i.e. same symptoms in Summer or Winter). I've considered an air-lock in the fuel tank so tried equalising by removing the cap but it makes no difference and I didn't notice an in-rush of air when I undid the cap.

Does anybody else suffer from this and/or know a solution.

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
847 Posts
ive been having a few issues starting at the moment but put it down to glow plugs, due to the cold, but now you have said it it may well be fuel level related!

it has also started grumbling a bit under heavy load, i.e when im cruisisng in 5th then floor it too much the pump makes a little rumbling sound, which sounnded like air being pulled in from somewhere, if i put the pedal down more gently it doesnt doo it.

im going to brim here tonight and test both!!!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
brimmed the tanl last night
and it did start a little better this morning but not as good as it should, it also wasnt that cold so prob is the glow plugs.
im wondering though if the valve on the fuel filter is/has issues and isnt seated correctly
more investigation required, anyone got any good places to look??

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well an early finish meant I could have a look at this today. The fuel out-feed pipe on top of the sender unit had a crack in it (see photo below) but I think this should pull air all of the time rather than just when the tank is low (although the van runs fine when started so not sure it's actually leaking even though the crack is large).
Guess I should have pulled the sender unit right out to check the pick-up tube but I need to replace it anyway because of this crack so I'm hoping the pick-up tube inside is also cracked near the bottom.

The part no. on top of the sender unit is 7D0 919 183 if it's useful to anyone.

Does anyone know if this is the only part I need (i.e. is this the entire sender unit)?

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm having the same problem with my 2.5 tdi. Did you have any joy with changing the cracked sender?
Yep. Fitted at the weekend and problem solved! Been starting fine today on a nearly empty tank. Thanks to all for the advice. I love this forum
:)

·
6,701 Posts
Another reason for this behaviour is a tiny hole in the view pipe
Coming from the pump to the filter. Causes bubbles and poor starting.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Well an early finish meant I could have a look at this today. The fuel out-feed pipe on top of the sender unit had a crack in it (see photo below) but I think this should pull air all of the time rather than just when the tank is low (although the van runs fine when started so not sure it's actually leaking even though the crack is large).
Guess I should have pulled the sender unit right out to check the pick-up tube but I need to replace it anyway because of this crack so I'm hoping the pick-up tube inside is also cracked near the bottom.

The part no. on top of the sender unit is 7D0 919 183 if it's useful to anyone.

Does anyone know if this is the only part I need (i.e. is this the entire sender unit)?

Cheers
Paul
Hi where and how would I locate/access this part in the vehicle ? Thanks

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi where and how would I locate/access this part in the vehicle ? Thanks
Hi MJMX3,

You need to take the passenger seat out (and ideally the drivers seat for easy access) - 5 min job, 4 nuts for each.
Remove the handbrake covers (2 of them).
Fold the cab lining matt forward to expose a black plate secured by 3 cross-head screws.
Under this plate is the sender unit with fuel feed and retrun pipes attached.

It took me about an hour in total to do the change. Easy job.

Regards,
Paul

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, the unit was £79 from local VW dealership and a couple of quid for a new sealing ring.

Tip - the screw on cap that secures the sender in place was quite tight. I used a flat screwdriver against the raised sections and gently tapped it to get it undone. Same technique to tighten.

Paul

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just discovered kine is cracked so off to VW to get a replacement. Any advice for getting the tubes off, mine seem to be VERY tightly on!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts