VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in the process of converting my van at the moment and always had it in my head that I would get the pop top done last. Having read into this I can see it is preferable to get it fitted right at the start. If I don't do this how much of a ball ache is it to fit once the van is kitted out?

The quandary I have is that we would like a hilo or low life which as you know is a significant investment. If I find the cash for that then I'll need to wait for the rest of the kit out and particularly the R&R which I'm eyeing up (RIB 130). If it's a minor inconvenience to do the roof last then I'll do that but if it's a major PITA then I need to re-assess.

Ta

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Hi - think it all through if you can and DEFINITELY get your roof in first.
The cutting of the roof and frames and mess could/would spark off on to side windows and interiors.
I then had the windows installed, then got to do the carpeting.
Next will be electrics with leisure battery followed by cupboards and lastly bed.
I've had a Skyline poptop for a few months now and well happy with it!
Only my opinion...not others.... T:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi petesbeat,

I looked at doing my conversion this way and also wanted the Hilo roof but after speaking to one of the Hilo fitters he said that they would have to remove the interior and even the carpeting from the rear pillars as they needed to be drilled or cut in some way

I know that skyline roofs can be fitted after the interior conversion as can the reimo but I think that most converters would advise doing the roof first

·
Registered
893 Posts
I had my roof fitted after conversion when I decided I did need one after all.
It did require removing the furniture (wardrobe) that went up to the roof and obviously all the carpet lining and lights on the roof had to be redone but overall it wasn't too bad. But then my converter was a very accommodating and helpful man.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you really want the Rib bed then I wouldn't go for a HiLo roof as the system robs about 30mm of roof space which with normal seats isn't a problem but the Rib is so high I think you would bang your head.... My feet don't touch the floor when sat on a Rib and it makes my legs go to sleep !!! Way too high for my liking :-(
Hope this helps and if you don't go for the Rib you'll have at least an extra £1k to put towards your roof :)

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks, it does indeed seem to be the general recommendation that roof comes first. I may have a half way plan though, I think I will kit it out part way with seats and floor and I have most of the electrics already so I'm thinking as long as I don't put anything up high or carpet then I can remove the seats come the point where I want the roof done next year. The seats would be handy as it makes the thing usable whilst I find the funds.

RE: the RIB and hilo combo is an interesting point, I've never really understood the problem with losing a little head room but equally I've not seen a RIB and hilo together. I guess I need to go and research that one.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have heard you can get it done but I know converters aren't too keen. I got the hilo done in the end, it's a cool roof. Just at the carpeting stage now and I also went for a RIB which is on it's way at the end of the month.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.