VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of questions I couldn't find discussions of whilst searching the forum.

1 - Is it possible to retro fit a VW Cali roof onto a T5, either full cali (electric) or beach (manual)? Or are they ridiculously priced?
2 - Is it possible to combine a cali beach headliner with a Reimo/Austop/Vamouse roof for a more polished look (as opposed to carpet lining)?

·
Registered
160 Posts
A California roof canvas is the same size as a Reimo one so I would presume that a headliner would fit.
I spoke to a Cali owner once who's electric roof had malfunctioned and it shorted out, it had also damaged the wiring and he ended up with a £4500 bill for two motors, wiring loom and labour.

·
Registered
668 Posts
That may be the case, but the Cali roof is very different to the normal retail sca roof, the front pod is the only thing that looks similar.

The canvas is different the hinges and support struts are different and the moulding on top is different too, the lines run forward where-as there are sideways channels in the normal sca roof top.

Not trying to be argumentative! But when I was looking at getting an sca someone told me to go look at the Cali roof as its the same, I went to see one then saw an sca at a converters and now have an sca roof on my van. I'm glad they are different as its much easier to fit solar panels and my voyager roof rack onto the retail sca roof!

Just don't want anyone basing a roof decision on looking at the Cali , luckily I was able to view the sca roof, I'm sure that's not always possible.

I looked hard at reimo and sca, and of course checked out the Cali roof.

The sca is way better than the reimo and a better shape than the Cali roof, all tho I do like the slightly higher lift on the Cali (or so it seems higher anyway) I doubt the Cali roof is an option anyway as I expect it costs a fortune in parts from VW! Not that the sca is cheap but it's gotta be less than buying from VW.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I agree SCA is far superior to the Reimo!

I thought there were a few different variations of SCA roof - I've seen ones that are traditional with separate frame and roof like the Reimo and ones that are a complete unit that you fit as one piece with a moulded base. They also make deluxe versions with the better locking mechanism, electric lift etc.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I know there is standard and deluxe models but the differences are only in the locking mechanism and finish inside the van I believe.

Been a while since I was looking into them tho I must admit.

Mine is the standard one as at the time sca had borked the ratchet locks so they weren't working properly!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anyone got any close ups of the SCA delux roof lining fitting they could post?

Would be great if someone with EKA could look up and see if there is a cali headliner part available.

cheers

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Would also be great to know the difference in spec and price between the two SCA roofs and who is fitting them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much do you think a replacement Cali Beach (Ali SCA) roof would be? Can it really be much more expensive than £3k for a SCA deluxe (sure it probably is!)?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
3k for a sca deluxe? They are more than that still aren't they? The standard sca was 3.5k fitted but not carpeted frame or anything!

I'd imagine the ali one will be lots more money! Probably only available from VW.

How come you don't want the non VW one?
I think SCA deluxe are probs about £3.5k, £4.5k fitted :eek:

Just trying to suss out whether there is a viable VW alternative, as I suspect if there were it may add to resale value (possibly)....keen to have a factory look if possible with VW headlining, also have to figure out how to reroute the rear climatronic blowers :* might end up buying a tent and a blow up mattress T:

Here's my new (used) vella I'm considering slicing the roof off

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
Riemo show a caravelle on their web site with a pop top fitted.I'm probably gonna get my shuttle fitted with a pop top.a guy I saw at Bristol Volks fest had one and it looked factory fit.he had re positioned the vents for air and some lights. gonna get mine done at vanworx all being well as they are the only ones I would trust to do it.
Bunny

1 - 20 of 28 Posts