VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:D

I'm going to be fitting a poptoproofs.co.uk roof to my van in the next few weeks. Has anyone got any handy tips/tricks that would be worth sharing? I'm happy with what I have to do but any lessons learnt or easier ways to do things is always a bonusT:

Thanks

Jay

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
No but a step by step guide with plenty of pics would be great for when I attempt mine next year!

·
Custom Vans
1,179 Posts
Tape up any door joints and cover as much as you can with polythene sheet as the jigsaw saw cuttings get everywhere and hoover them up as you go, I suspend a polythene sheet on the inside also to catch the cuttings.
Don't try and cut it in one piece do it in sections as it makes it easier to handle.
Run any wiring for lights in the side strengthening channels before you fit them.
Pilot the canvas screws with a 2.5mm drill as this makes them easier and less likely to slip and damage the canvas.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Definitely mask off the whole outside of the van before you start. The best tool I have found for the job is a jigsaw - but fit an extra long metal cutting blade. I cant find the number, but bosch do one which is over 4 inches long and will go through the ribs without catching and bouncing like a short one will. Also, when cutting - if you use a jig saw, as you go down the length of the roof, hold the saw vertical rather than letting it sit flat on the roof. If you leave it flat on the roof, then the ribs will be cut at an angle and will interfere with the strenthening frame.
Take care when you do the rear cut and the corners, as the wiring harness and rear wash hose are easy to cut.
If you do want to cut out the whole thing in one go, then as you cut each corner, a small bit of ply can be wedged under the roof - this will support it fully until you are ready to lift it out......this is then definitely a 2 person job with gloves;).

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I would also say take a testdrive once fitted, to make sure there no squeeks..

My reimo made a squeek on the b pillor where it is fixed to the front section. Reimo pre drilled this section to take 1 rivet, and even when this was fitted and also sikoflexed in place, still made a noise so i added a few extra which shut it up.

If i had not test drove and carpet lined it all, then it would have been a pain afterwards to sort out.

As ed says, longer jigsaw blades are a must :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Buy yourself plenty of blades as has already been said Bosch do a long blade,
2.5 mm drill bits, buy a load they snap for fun.. And if you run out you will be sick, job stopped.
Get yourself one of these or similar, http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...r-tool-accessory-keyed-chuck-wholesalers.html B&Q, screwfix, machine mart. Do them. For fixing the tent at the rear, you will see when you get there,
Your going to need a hex bit to remove seat belts so trim can be removed..
I am sure I'll think of something else. Oh marker pen for marking up..
Enjoy T:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Forgot to add,

You may need a Rivnut gun and maybe some rivnuts too. Reimo use these to hod the hinge down to the van. Not sure what poptops use for fixing.

:)
Yes definitely need a rivet gun, poptop roofs supplie rivets,
You will need some 5/6mm cant remember witch, drill bits for the bolts that you fix the front strengthening frame with.
Grey silicone for sealing the outside of the tent, unless you have a different colour canvas,, :ILU:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers thanks guys - some great tips thereT: My family run a large garage and have given me a corner of their workshop and the use of all the toolsT:

I was thinking of posting a step by step how to with pictures but I don't know if it's the done thing - being "in the trade" (altho been out of it for last 7 years) shoudl I be doing it and will it pee anyone off:*

I have a good look through the fitting instructions - not as clear as I thought they might be but all the info is there just takes a few reads to work it all out - only thing I am struggling with is the length of the cut - it gives 2 measurements approx 30mm different i.e. between x and x - is there any reason for this - I was thinking maybe some vehicles have strengthning bits in slightly different places???/

JayT:

·
Registered
216 Posts
We are just in the middle of fitting a pop top supplied by the same company.
Check out the thread as there are a few images

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=145218

if in any doubt call the number on the instructions and they guy(sorry can't remember his name) will give you as much help as you need. We had a few q's for him and he answered them straight away.

The instructions are a little vague in places but as he said he is always at the end of the phone.

Defo need long blades for jigsaw as they slice throughout the roof reinforcers with ease.

If you need any more pictures before you start let me know and i'll take some for you.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Pop Top roofs use Tek screw to fix the hinges. If you want to get a good fit, take your time ¨scribing¨ the roof to fit the shape of your van. As long as your cut out is within the two measurements, you´ll be ok.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pop Top roofs use Tek screw to fix the hinges. If you want to get a good fit, take your time ¨scribing¨ the roof to fit the shape of your van. As long as your cut out is within the two measurements, you´ll be ok.
Bill is the guy, has been mega helpful so far, delivered roof in a week arrived exactly when he said even though 400 miles away from me, seems a top guyT:

How do you do your scribing? Masking tape roof and pop top, lay roof on without seal, scribe as minimal as possible and trim where needed? What do you use to trim (grinder?) and I suppose I should do it once the hole had been cut and the frame fitted? What tolerance do you scribe to - if it's very minimal i.e >5mm then the seal should take up any misalignment :*

This is a great thread, thanks, really appreciate the info guys T:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Bill is the guy, has been mega helpful so far, delivered roof in a week arrived exactly when he said even though 400 miles away from me, seems a top guyT:

How do you do your scribing? Masking tape roof and pop top, lay roof on without seal, scribe as minimal as possible and trim where needed? What do you use to trim (grinder?) and I suppose I should do it once the hole had been cut and the frame fitted? What tolerance do you scribe to - if it's very minimal i.e >5mm then the seal should take up any misalignment :*

This is a great thread, thanks, really appreciate the info guys T:
Fit the strengthening frame etc first, line roof up, fit hinges, scribe roof as evenly and as close as possible. You can use a grinder, but with lot of care, or a jigsaw (careful you don´t chip fibreglass), or a flap wheel in a drill, which is the safest way. Most important thing is to take your time and get it right.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, I'll spend a lot of time getting it fitted right - seems alot of the problems with poptops can usually be traced back to the fittingI:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for the advice, finished the majority of the work today - spent a few hours scribing it in, tents all fixed, just need to seal the outside and finish the interior

Muchos GraciasT:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Nice one fella, find yourself some grey sealent for the outside, blends in better, post some pics when finished, I will post some pics myself when I get used to this iPad T:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't get any sealant with mine, I just got 2 tubes of structural adhesive (PU/Tigerseal/Sika etc). I did buy some Dow Corning exterior clear silicon sealant from Screwfix (if in doubt but most expensive) but I'm gonna pay someone to do it for me, me a "wet" stuff doesn't mix I'll get in a right messLOL:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi all , im about to fit one off these from poptop uk i dident get any sealant with the roof ( do remember the guy saying they had run out ) . is this the stuff i need ? http://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-sikaflex-ebt-adhesive-grey-300ml/79250# thanks
What do you need? Adhesive for bedding frame on or sealant for outside? I wouldn't use that stuff for bedding frame, Sika do a better one especially designed for automotive structural work, failing that I'd go for Tigerseal off eBay

1 - 20 of 58 Posts