VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Caravelle for over a year now and It has been used exactly as we intended, days out weekends away and a couple of European trips during Summer and we've really loved our new found freedom T:

But I want to make it more usable as it can be a bit of a squeeze inside the old bus and the toilet situation is, well there isn't one!
Originally I was thinking pop up roof for extra space but now I'm thinking high top and make it more of a true 'camper van' but I'm stuggling to find suppliers or fitters,

I know it's not as cool to make your bus look like an ice cream van but I'm approaching the age when a comfy bed and cassette toilet sound like bliss on a two or three week trip away.

Any advice or real experiences would be very welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
I personally would go for a pop top, it keeps the overall height down which can only help when booking ferries etc but must also be more aerodynamic but don't hold me to that. We have a pop top on our type 2 bay window and wouldn't be without it.

Hope that helps.

Duzzied.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I personally would go for a pop top, it keeps the overall height down which can only help when booking ferries etc but must also be more aerodynamic but don't hold me to that. We have a pop top on our type 2 bay window and wouldn't be without it.

Hope that helps.

Duzzied.
I know what you mean Duzzied a pop top is more versatile when dealing with ferries, car park height restrictions etc but I want to make it all a bit more solid and un-tent like,
Thanks for the input T:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Hightops are good because you have all the space all the time, extra cupboards etc. We store loads of things up there, great because its all out of the way all the time. Folk take the mick, ice cream van, frankenstein, upside down boat etc, but they are just jealousLOL:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hightops are good because you have all the space all the time, extra cupboards etc. We store loads of things up there, great because its all out of the way all the time. Folk take the mick, ice cream van, frankenstein, upside down boat etc, but they are just jealousLOL:
I just read your 'Hi top' thread some nice looking T4's Tomass! can you recommend anywhere that supplys or fits them? all I can find are pop tops! :*

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem, I've got time to sort it before Summer T:

·
Registered
248 Posts
my first van i fitted a pop top still get the cool looks of your van but kids always moaned it was to cold also your restricted on head hieght at one end of your van ive since had 6 vans 3 standerd roofs had 3 high tops lwd t4 lwb t5 now back to a swb ice cream van people do take the p**s but you will have last laugh as for extra storage warmth of van may not look cool but beats bending down when cooking etc there was dont no if still is a company on ebay does them for £500 quid fitted you have to trim it up tho inside carpet boarding etc good value i think hope this helps

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my first van i fitted a pop top still get the cool looks of your van but kids always moaned it was to cold also your restricted on head hieght at one end of your van ive since had 6 vans 3 standerd roofs had 3 high tops lwd t4 lwb t5 now back to a swb ice cream van people do take the p**s but you will have last laugh as for extra storage warmth of van may not look cool but beats bending down when cooking etc there was dont no if still is a company on ebay does them for £500 quid fitted you have to trim it up tho inside carpet boarding etc good value i think hope this helps
Thats what I thought Jim basic fitting for around £500 sounds pretty good and I plan to finish the inside off myself

Cheers Jim

·
Registered
101 Posts
Had a SWB T4 for 6 years now living in it for most of the year for 5 years until 2009 with a pop top. Then did 2 years away in Oz and NZ living in the van full time where the canvas suited very well compared to South European winters which had been survivable but hard work if it rained persistently.
Following such prolonged heavy use the canvas was very tired and was further damaged by a possum tearing its way in to steal a loaf of bread in WA
After shipping the van back to the UK I considered all options and have just had a Reimo Sportline roof fitted by Concept Multi Car of Hythe Kent. All in removal of the old roof, lining and insulating, fitting two Seitz windows and then fitting the new roof cost £2500. This was the first serious money I have spent since getting the van in 2005 at 113,000 miles and covering another 130,000 since (40k of those in Oz/Nz) and what an improvement - I doubt I will now go back to pop tops as it will still go in a shipping container for the next planned trip : Canada, the US and South America.
The benefits of staying inside to set up, being able to stand at any time, staying warmer and no problems with wind or rain during bad weather far outweigh the rare occasions when there are height barriers.
No discernible effect on fuel consumption, handling etc and as I will be living in it full time for the forseeable future it will provide far more comfort and practicality.
Have a look at www.sastt.blogspot.com for inspiration!:)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had a SWB T4 for 6 years now living in it for most of the year for 5 years until 2009 with a pop top. Then did 2 years away in Oz and NZ living in the van full time where the canvas suited very well compared to South European winters which had been survivable but hard work if it rained persistently.
Following such prolonged heavy use the canvas was very tired and was further damaged by a possum tearing its way in to steal a loaf of bread in WA
After shipping the van back to the UK I considered all options and have just had a Reimo Sportline roof fitted by Concept Multi Car of Hythe Kent. All in removal of the old roof, lining and insulating, fitting two Seitz windows and then fitting the new roof cost £2500. This was the first serious money I have spent since getting the van in 2005 at 113,000 miles and covering another 130,000 since (40k of those in Oz/Nz) and what an improvement - I doubt I will now go back to pop tops as it will still go in a shipping container for the next planned trip : Canada, the US and South America.
The benefits of staying inside to set up, being able to stand at any time, staying warmer and no problems with wind or rain during bad weather far outweigh the rare occasions when there are height barriers.
No discernible effect on fuel consumption, handling etc and as I will be living in it full time for the forseeable future it will provide far more comfort and practicality.
Have a look at www.sastt.blogspot.com for inspiration!:)
Thanks for the detailed response Simon T: I have now made up my mind to go with the high top, more to do with the weather protection and space it will offer rather then protection from possums I:
Your blog is superb (now bookmarked) you're living the dream, your T4 - photos from around the world deserve a thread on here, amazing stuff!

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
just found this abit more money tho ebay listing 180646970467T:
Has anyone had work done by these guys (Leeds Leisure Vehicles) who are selling high-top conversion? I've not come across them before despite doing research previously.
Keen to use recommended fitters if possible.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Has anyone had work done by these guys (Leeds Leisure Vehicles) who are selling high-top conversion? I've not come across them before despite doing research previously.
Keen to use recommended fitters if possible.
I went over to see them last Friday they have recently moved to Croxley house on the Olympia trading estate
(Gelerd lane LS12 6AL) The place is huge!
I spent quite a while talking to a very helpful lady who showed us round, told us all we needed to know and answered all my questions.
They didn't have any converted T4's in stock but we saw a recently converted T5 which I was pretty impressed with, so much so that I have decided to take mine there next monthT:

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I went over to see them last Friday they have recently moved to Croxley house on the Olympia trading estate
(Gelerd lane LS12 6AL) The place is huge!
I spent quite a while talking to a very helpful lady who showed us round, told us all we needed to know and answered all my questions.
They didn't have any converted T4's in stock but we saw a recently converted T5 which I was pretty impressed with, so much so that I have decided to take mine there next monthT:
Cheers, I'm going to have a look this week. Did she give you any quotes for more than just the fitting (windows, roof-vent, lining etc)?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm planning on fitting most of mine out myself but from what I remember (don't quote me though)
Two non opening windows fitted in the side £100 the pair, I think a standard skylight was £100 fitted.
I don't have their phone number at the moment as I'm at work but i'll put it on here later, they're
pretty helpful T:

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I'm planning on fitting most of mine out myself but from what I remember (don't quote me though)
Two non opening windows fitted in the side £100 the pair, I think a standard skylight was £100 fitted.
I don't have their phone number at the moment as I'm at work but i'll put it on here later, they're
pretty helpful T:
Cheers, I want to work out whether it's worth getting them to do it, or for me to crack on with lining etc myself. Any idea what the make of GRP high-top is? This style seem to be the only ones people are fitting at the moment.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts