Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'll try and be brief with background.

I picked up my van last Friday from the company that had just installed my pop top. I saw the roof raised, checked all round, lovely job, neat, tidy, lights bed etc, chuffed to bits.

Drove it home, parked it up.

Saturday morning, children are excited to see it, so up it goes. We're admiring our lovely roof, when I noticed a small hole where the scissor hinges are. Obviously I call the installer and tell him and he's gutted.

However, my issue is not with the installer, it's with the roof. I told an engineer type dude about the roof and we popped it back up on the Sunday and guess what? It'd ripped a small hole the other side. So. Up and down twice, two holes, not ideal. I've had a pop top prior, always careful folding it down (I always balance on my head for the last bit to haul the canvas in to keep it neat).

We both look at this and it's clearly a design flaw. It's likely the canvas will, at some point, come in contact with the scissors, just when something folds in a particular way, it's natural instinct is to follow that same path each time. I guess I'm unlucky, but that's no good when spending best part of £3k.

I've been offered an immediate 'repair' of the canvas. Fair enough, ideally i'd like a new canvas, but that's not a solution (nor is the repair).

The installer has contacted the manufacturer and they've passed it back to him, not sure on what grounds, but I assume they'll blame installation, personally, I can't see that being the case and i've been incredibly happy with the installer and seen the work they have done and went there based on recommendations.

Any thoughts on how to play this? I think the manufacturer must have some degree of liability here and I don't want the installer to take a substantial 'hit'.

I'm a very fair and honest person, but i've just emptied my bank account for this bad boy to be fitted! It's all a bit gutting.

Experiences and thoughts welcome

Cheers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi

I'll try and be brief with background.

I picked up my van last Friday from the company that had just installed my pop top. I saw the roof raised, checked all round, lovely job, neat, tidy, lights bed etc, chuffed to bits.

Drove it home, parked it up.

Saturday morning, children are excited to see it, so up it goes. We're admiring our lovely roof, when I noticed a small hole where the scissor hinges are. Obviously I call the installer and tell him and he's gutted.

However, my issue is not with the installer, it's with the roof. I told an engineer type dude about the roof and we popped it back up on the Sunday and guess what? It'd ripped a small hole the other side. So. Up and down twice, two holes, not ideal. I've had a pop top prior, always careful folding it down (I always balance on my head for the last bit to haul the canvas in to keep it neat).

We both look at this and it's clearly a design flaw. It's likely the canvas will, at some point, come in contact with the scissors, just when something folds in a particular way, it's natural instinct is to follow that same path each time. I guess I'm unlucky, but that's no good when spending best part of £3k.

I've been offered an immediate 'repair' of the canvas. Fair enough, ideally i'd like a new canvas, but that's not a solution (nor is the repair).

The installer has contacted the manufacturer and they've passed it back to him, not sure on what grounds, but I assume they'll blame installation, personally, I can't see that being the case and i've been incredibly happy with the installer and seen the work they have done and went there based on recommendations.

Any thoughts on how to play this? I think the manufacturer must have some degree of liability here and I don't want the installer to take a substantial 'hit'.

I'm a very fair and honest person, but i've just emptied my bank account for this bad boy to be fitted! It's all a bit gutting.

Experiences and thoughts welcome

Cheers
A company called Autohaus have made something which prevent this from happening too.If you go on there sit and go to shop and then Autohaus products there is something there and a wee video to show it working

·
Registered
603 Posts
Even VW have this problem with the California my mate showed me how to put mine away first time ive used it once and got the canvas trapped at the back no damage it did not get trapped by the scissors just poked out from under the roof so up again and tuck under then down in my defence it was windy as i checked it twice on lowering but must have blown out just as it closed the last few inches so as said above get a bungee im considering it, to answer your question i would want a new canvas T:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Should of boughta austop justpull mine down and go when I went to look at poptop uk ones it did exactly what yours does hence didn'tbuy one.hope you get it sorted because my kids love all the best

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to close the thread due to resolution.

I'm very happy with the service I've received from both the installer and manufacturer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.