VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we've just bought a T5 and are planning the long money draining process of converting it into a camper. We've popped some windows in (too early in the conversion after a bit of research but hey ho) which have really made the van. We planned to fit a pop-top a little while after finishing the conversion due to saving up for one but it appears the general consesus on this forum is to fit it first so we're now looking into that. We're in the midlands/Warwickshire but don't mind travelling further a field for a good service.

It looks like £2,500 (Don't want to spend more if we can help it) should get us a rear hinged pop with a bed and we're looking at Austops and Vamoose at the moment. Any advice or recommendations on these or alternatives and of fitters would be appreciated.

We have a rear spoiler so not sure if that affects the choice and we'd like an awning rail too.

Cheers in advance T:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tidy Transporters based on a farm just outside Lutterworth, Will's the man to speak to, although you will be best emailing him first as the phone signal is not the best but the quality of the installation won't disappoint. Here's a picture of teh one he fitted to my T4

Cheers.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks very nice and thanks for your recommendation. What make is your pop top?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks, it's an Austops. I've no experience of any other types but the quality is very good and when you've got the hang of lowering it and folding the fabric down properly it is very quiet when driving, get it wrong and it whistles like mad!!!

I've just fitted an awning rail into the gutter on the T4, so when the roof is down you can't see it. Cheers.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks again. T:

Have had another look around I've found one by poptopuk which looks like it has the Scissor hinges on but not as expensive as the SCA or Reimo ones. This is getting more and more confusing :confused:

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd love an SCA one but it's out of our price range. They do look good though, I suppose I could make do with a pop top and an empty van LOL:

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
You do get what you pay for. The problem is if you get a poor roof now, it may spoil your enjoyment of the van later, and remedial work after a conversion will always be a pain. We keep seeing poorly fitted copy reimo roofs and all it does is reinforce our decision to only offer quality products even if they do cost more. Do you research as a good fitter can make a poor roof look ok, but a poor fitter and poor roof are a recipie for disaster.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear what your saying and really wish we were in a position to get a Reimo or SCA but it's not possible, unless we cut corners on the rest of the conversion.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You do get what you pay for. The problem is if you get a poor roof now, it may spoil your enjoyment of the van later, and remedial work after a conversion will always be a pain. We keep seeing poorly fitted copy reimo roofs and all it does is reinforce our decision to only offer quality products even if they do cost more. Do you research as a good fitter can make a poor roof look ok, but a poor fitter and poor roof are a recipie for disaster.
Totally agree! They are cheaper for a reason! Been there bought the t-shirt etc etc, lesson learnt!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I hear what your saying and really wish we were in a position to get a Reimo or SCA but it's not possible, unless we cut corners on the rest of the conversion.
Put the rest of the conversion on hold and get a SCA or Reimo, it's such a major part of the conversion and only wants doing once T:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have a vamoose roof and it's suberb. Si is a top bloke and will help anyone out. His workmanship is second to none. No noise at speed at all, sleek to the roof when down and highest when up what more can you ask ??. Oh yeah and the dampers are all internal so nothing exposed to the elements or hinges to snag your tent sections, only my opinion I:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi, had to make the choice 6 months ago , went for poptopuk i wanted a diy fit and it looked good for the money . I am very practical and have 20 years in steel fabrication , spent ages fitting seeking perfection and it came out realy well to begin with.
Then over time it started to sagg over the length to the point where the rear corners are sitting high as there is a bend in the roof . To be fair the guy said he would give me another roof and that they now make them a bit taller with more strength. Cant be bothered with the hastle of fitting it all again geetting it painted ect so im going to strengthen it myself . So have a look at the new poptop uk ones beffore you buy .

sorry for long post

·
Registered
524 Posts
I was tempted by one of these but just doesn't look very high when up, will have to give you a bell and pop down and see them in the flesh :cool:

·
Registered
776 Posts
They sit as high if not slightly higher higher than the last Reimo we had in that I measured, the rear hinge is capable of going much higher but you have to consider the extra strain your putting on the mountings with parking on uneven ground or high winds, we prefer to work in a tolerance we know is tried and tested with plenty of internal room/ head height etc than going all out and high just because it can. Happy to show you around the roofs and what we do if you fancy coming down.
Thanks Simon

1 - 20 of 73 Posts