VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone hope your all keeping safe and well,wonder if you can give me any advice I have a pop up roof on my t5 it’s ribbed not flat ,I want to put a flexible solar panel on it ,my question is do I just stick it to the raised part of the roof and leave the shallow parts for ventilation or do I fill it in any advice would be very much appreciated thank you

·
Registered
899 Posts
The shallow runs will help with ventilation and water run off.
stikaflex or any similar On the high parts will do it ok.
i had mine stuck on with industrial grade Velcro , 3 years no problems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi, I fitted some semi flexible solar panels to my Austop pop top and thought I had the same problem, but inbetween the ridges I put some of that UPVC trim you can buy from anywhere that sells UPVC fascias, it comes in different widths and is exactly the same thinkness as the ridges on the pop top, so if you stick some 100mm trim in the middle of the ridges a bit shorter than the length of your panel so it doesn't stick out at either end and with putting it in the middle of the ridges you will still get air flow under the panel, I also used that 3M VHB tape to stick the UPVC trim and the solar panel down, using the 3M cleaner and VHB primer, its bullet proof, doesn't move and we've been all over even down to the south of France and it is still stuck solid, hope that helps. Rob

I spoke to the guys at Photonic Universe, where I got my solar panels from about fitting to the roof with ridges and they said the panel needs to be flat and not allowed to sag as it could damage the panels, so that’s why I thought about the UPVC trims and its worked out really well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts