VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd share the following as I found so little info available about the Westdubs poptop before I went ahead last Saturday.

I'd been contemplating a poptop for over 18 months but kept talking myself out of it, mainly due to the high financial outlay, and my fear of increasing the height over the crucial 2m mark for carparks and French autoroutes.

I should probably say that I have a 2005 Danish Blue LWB T5 that started life as a basic van, albeit with electrics,air, alloys and later cruise. I had tinted windows added to the sliding and barn doors and have another planned for behind the driver T: I've been through a few variants of interior fit-out and am about to change the layout again to better suit our changing needs and take full advantage of the additional height we now have (when parked up :D)

Long story short...........contacted Westdubs after seeing the eBay ad and had a chat about what was actually included; colour coding (costs), customer references, strengthening frame, whether the roof overlaps the gutter rails or not (it does NOT so awnings etc are fine whether the roof is up or down) and generally to get a feel for the set-up etc.

Thought about it..then some more...then some more ...and then chatted again to confirm pricing and spec (I wanted it colour coded - this is in the gelcoat which I preferred to having it sprayed afterwards) and book a provisional date for a fitting.

I was very clear to Stew (Westdubs proprietor) that I was putting a lot of trust and faith in him as I didn't know them from Adam and there was very little about 'em on the forums and 'tinternet generally - he never once asked for any money up-front and also told me that if I arrived and didn't like any aspect of what I saw I was free to walk away (no obligation).

The day of fitting.....we arrived just before 10am Sat morning and had a good look around the workshop.....he has a lovely little set-up that made me wish I was in the conversion business rather than having a desk job. The quailty of the fibreglassing looked very good and there were several other roofs in various stages of assembly which I took to be a good sign. The 'tent' is a PVC material (love it or hate it, but I reckon it'll withstand being damp better than a canvas fabric and can be repaired easily so I'm happy) and is vented in the rear. Satisfied that I was going ahead I handed over the keys :eek:

Unexpectedly, we were offered the keys to his Beetle Carbro and told that Malvern was only 4 miles down the road and worth a look...............fitting time was expected to be between 2-3 hrs. Off we set in search of coffee and cake I:

We arrived back at the workshop just after 12:30pm to see Stew just making a call to us to tell us it was all done A:

The result.....AWESOME!!!

Yes, there is some trimming of the internal canvas to do and the side frame needs to be carpeted but I knew that beforehand and that suits me fine as I want to think about exactly how I finish the roof and run wires etc.

The difference it makes to the feel of the space inside is utterly staggering - I'm asking myself why I took so long to have it done now :*

The colour match is first class and she's still under 2m in height.

Once the roof has been raised manually about a foot the gas struts take over and do the rest...it's really very easy.

Packing down takes a bit more practise to ensure that it's all contained within the body of the top and I will be sourcing 4 plastic caps for the bolts that hold the retaining strap loops to the roof as I fear that careless packing 'may' see them rub the tent and damage it.

The internal roof comes carpeted as standard - but the front and rear of the opening need finishing. Stew had put tape over them 'cos of the potentially sharp edges and I've temporarily knocked on some trim strips which look much better while I decide what to do long-term.

We drove 150 miles home (mostly motorway and dual carriageway) and there is absolutely NO increase in wind noise (remember mine is a LWB so the front of the poptop is set further back - a SWB may be different).

I have taken various pics from different angles and try to post 'em (if I can wotrk out how to) and am happy to email them to anyone else thinking about taking the plunge.

I hope this has been useful :D

Rich

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
cool mate, i had an austops roof fitted about 3-4 months ago on my swb by james dean (highly recomended) hes spot on!!, absoloutly great, me and my eldest daughter slept up there at blackpool breeze not long after we had it fitted and the missus and 11 month old baby slept downstairs on the rock and roll bed. this means i dont have to put up a full size awning everytime we go away, we can just use a tent canopy/small awning, alot easier and lighter to carry. il try and put sum pics up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like those integrated curtains T:...it's just reminded me that I'm going to need to sort out some sort of window covering if only to make it dark at night. My wife's just pointed out that our 'important bits' are all below window level so no embarrassment or blushes on that front :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks for the update on West Dubs - I've been making loads of enquiries about elevating roofs over the past few weeks and I just don't seem to get enough headroom in these front elevating roofs, so I have been in contact with West Dubs and mine is booked in for 4 weeks time on my LWB T5.

I've also decided to get Camper Shak to do the interior - I've opted to try something a bit different - I'm going to have the carcass of the kitchen range covered in beach driftwood, as well as the additional cabin seat. I'm going for a California/Beach style interior...could be interesting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts