VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says really, anyone actually running Porsche 911 later model calipers?
See them pop up on eBay every now and again and for the look and price I'm getting tempted. Noticed a few people looked at Porsche calipers before but did anyone actually get around to it and can they give us a quick run down on adapters etc...

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Seen a few in my neck of the woods
996 Caliper is a good choice. U need to figure out why though & what disks to use.
The carrier MAY represent the biggest challenge :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just dont use rear calipers from a Boxster/911. People will try and convince you they are suitable, but ultimately, the piston sizes are too small. Boxster front calipers would be ideal providing carriers can be made. Wheel clearance is then the next issue.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Just dont use rear calipers from a Boxster/911. People will try and convince you they are suitable, but ultimately, the piston sizes are too small. Boxster front calipers would be ideal providing carriers can be made. Wheel clearance is then the next issue.
Any Part numer or Models (even if only MY) to go with that statement please Buddy? :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
986.351.421 & 986.351.422 would be the ideal calipers, to be honest, even better would be 996 turbo calipers.

DO NOT use these: 986.352.421 & 422 (designed for 20mm discs) and definitely DO NOT use these ones: 996.352.421 & 422, as they are woefully inadequate for the front of a Car or heavy Van.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Plenty of VAG cars have Brembo calipers. Id try and fit something from the same stable with correct caliper offsets etc first before resorting to Renaul etc.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I agree to stay within the stables :)
That said, I used to run 996 Turbo calipers om my S2 with drilled Porsche disks.
Man, that thing would STOP :eek::D

Did put them on a T4 jsut to see, wasn`t far off by recollection I: if at all as it was a test only
Off course I did not write down all the Part numbers :bhd
ZIMMERMANN ist a company that can supply disks etc T:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
not yet but getting there!

first got these for peanuts as a couple of pistons were seized

6 pots from a porsche panamera

then came across these,

4 pots from a porsche 4cs

to fit the 4 pots have a set of mbt adapters,

plan on useing the 4 pots for the time being as the 6 pots will cost a fair wedge to refurb.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just front calipers have been upgraded to 996 4-pots- from what I can gather (i.e. not the rear ones)? The Creation Motorsport kit seems to just be for two calipers.

My brakes terrify me - I have drums on the back, and it would be crazy not to upgrade them too.

I am seriously considering this 4 pot upgrade - however it is $$$ all in.

On the other hand, the other option seems to be Sharan brakes - faaaaaar cheaper, but only 1-pot; would they really be much of a benefit? I get the impression the 4-pots are far superior (in the 996 the red brakes are the best brakes I have ever experienced).

I was also wondering about 6-pot porsche calipers. On the 996(911) forums, some people say the difference over the c4s/turbo brakes is not noticable unless track use- so I think this would definately be unneccesarily extravagent.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,362 Posts
IT'S A VAN!!!!!
What do you have...300 bhp conversion!?!??!

Std disk brakes stop mine (with only 147 bhp, from 120 mph with no problem..)
They DO fade sometimes after a 30km down mountain drive...especially as it's an auto with no engine braking!

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Yep I’m running them only fitted a few days ago but slow to bed in got some pictures not sure how to up load on here as been a while since I’ve been on this forum sorted now as used to be a pita to upload

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice work! They look like they may be off a 996 C2 or C4, or perhaps a 986?

Did you use the creation motorsport adaptor kit? That is good to know if so - that the C4S TT (red) calipers are not strictly needed.

As far as I'm aware, it is not possible to get adaptors for the rear hubs, to allow fitment of these Brembo calipers. That may put the dampeners on things for me for a while - going to have to think of what to do to upgrade the rear drums first - don't think 4 pots on the front, and drums on the back would be that balanced!

Do many people replace seals (and perhaps pistons) before they fit their caliper conversions? I have had Brembo brakes on a bike of a similar age (15+) to the 996 brakes get a bit siezed up in the past, and so have refurbished them

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
These were red but I’ve refurbished them I had the megane 225 sport caliper fitted before and had the adaptors made by a local engineer with black diamond disk’s worked really well hoping these are better but still bedding in

Attachments

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,362 Posts
Had to replace my Black Diamond disks after 3 years, as they rusted to the extent that you could peel bits off them with your fingers!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts