VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if it is possible to buy a portable generator to plug my van into via the lead used on a campsite? I only run a fridge, fan heater and lights but I would like to be able to plug a kettle in or a waterheater for the shower but not at the same time of course.
What size output would I need and would it be portable enough for me to lift it inside my van while travelling?
pete

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
Small gennies are cheap, BUT noisy noisy noisy.....

The quiet Honda type suitcase ones still make a noise, and on a campsite id be miffed if a neighour used one.

If you need heat Id spend the money youd need for a gennie on an Eberspacher or Propex, and if you want to boil a kettle or use a fridge Id get a 3 way fridge and a gas hob. So Id recomend a good gas system instead of a gennie along with leisure batteries.

How about just filling a solar shower bag with warm water from the kettle?

If you do want to run a gennie you need to check the power of the things you want to run, and the fan will likely be high, but dont take the markings for granted, I have a 650 gennie that wont power a 950 fan for an inflatable arch, but in an emergency my friends 850 powered it nicely. They do say you should double the amount of power the gennie says for the things it needs to power...my advise is check the gennie with your gear before buying as I dont think the markings are consistent or accurate.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Stridey, we have two T4's and a T5 which we use for towing a small sailing dinghy around the UK. Two vans have eberspachers and we use an electric cool box too. This is wonderful if we are only out for one night at a time but we need more space for longer periods especially if we have the grandchildren with us. We do not use campsites.
We have bought an old Hymer and it has a hook up so we want to know how much output we will need from a generator to run the water heater, interior lighting and a small electric fan heater but obviously not all at the same time but we will have a TV and stereo. I need a generator I can carry as it will be inside the van while we are travelling. It has a gas fire but I am not happy about using it because of the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.
pete

·
Registered
438 Posts
Electric kettles are usually 2KW, more modern ones 3KW. Much the same for fan heaters, usually 2KW. That's a pretty substantial (weighty & expensive) genny you'd need. And even a quiet one will be pulling some revs and racking up the noise level at that power output.

As stridey says, a gas-powered or diesel solution is more practical - and get a CO alarm installed.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi RubberBiker, I think that kicks my idea into the long grass:) I was trying to do too much with a generator and I will have to revert to using the gas system instead. Of course that means getting a CO alarm. The van has gas heating and a gas/electric fridge. I took it for a ride tonight and it just doesn't match my T4's for economy and ease of travel but I suppose I will get used to it. I miss the power steering and I dislike LHD but now I have bought it I will just have to make the best of it.
pete

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jimmy, no the T5 is still with the converters. This is an old Hymer I have just bought which does everything I want it to do but not as economically as the VW's and of course it is LHD and has no power steering. I shall be looking to swap it with a RHD power steering jobbie now preferably a younger model so I will have to part with some cash:(
pete

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi mate just to let you know i have a amrerican motorhome with in built genny 4kw it drives everything including the wifes hairdryer & most caravan dealers sell a low power kettle that does work ( i have one) made by powerpart it boils quickly & also sell gennys so i understand them if you need any help pm me

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi mate just to let you know i have a amrerican motorhome with in built genny 4kw it drives everything including the wifes hairdryer & most caravan dealers sell a low power kettle that does work ( i have one) made by powerpart it boils quickly & also sell gennys so i understand them if you need any help pm me
Thanks Plantman but I have now p/x'ed the Hymer for a VW Motorhome and I will be using gas thanks.

pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts