VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, looking for some advice on external power sources whilst away "off grid" with the van.

I've been looking at non gas generator models which focus on overall efficiency - a high battery capacity (lithium -ion for a longer life), good surge power rating, is nice and portable, decent warranty etc...

just looking for something quiet to power up lights, laptops and basic power tools.

Has anyone got experiences of using these power sources any recommendations of which models to buy? Preferably UK or European brands as finding loads are from the US and difficult to get hold of to test/try out before committing to buying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you for listening!

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
I'm not overly clued on this sort of thing but would a solar panel and leisure battery not do this? 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not overly clued on this sort of thing but would a solar panel and leisure battery not do this? 🤷‍♂️
Hi Pete, yeah, you can buy additional solar panel add on's to make this function work with the power station unit. A leisure battery can do this but you need to be connected to a power source as i was thinking of scenarios when you are more off grid with no connection to a power source. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
I was thinking more that the solar would charge up the leisure as well as a split charge from main battery, then you just run off the leisure without an external power source. If you're driving about during the day it'll charge both back up, this is what I'm planning on installing as I'm not going for a hook up or external source.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking more that the solar would charge up the leisure as well as a split charge from main battery, then you just run off the leisure without an external power source. If you're driving about during the day it'll charge both back up, this is what I'm planning on installing as I'm not going for a hook up or external source.
Hi Pete, ah ok, i understand your thinking. Yeah I regularly charge up whilst driving plus I've also used an external hookup at campsites etc which has been effective too. I guess I'm thinking of a scenario where i can't park the van close to where i'm working (or have no solar panels) therefore this question about a portable power unit.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Ah gottcha, I'll stop waffling on about solar and leisure batteries then 🙊

1 - 7 of 7 Posts