VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Potential petrol project - thoughts please

Thoughts please.

I've currently got a 1992 1.8L petrol job. It's runs on a upgraded Carb (Weber) and also has a LPG conversion. All runs well apart from the obvious lack of grunt.

I suspect the head gasket is on the way out. I've still got a fair bit of investigation to confirm it but I'm definately losing coolant somewhere. Sniff and pressure tests a while ago couldn't find anything. Try again soon.

Well if worse comes to worse and I'm going to pull the head I though I might as well look at my options. the LPG side is important as I do mega miles in the wagon. I've been doing some searches on one of the VW Golf forums for info and come up with some useful ideas.

Firstly I was thinking of doing a straight head swap basically keeping it as it currently is but having a head with a GTi cam.

One downside on the petrol van engines is low cylinder compression. Engines last but have no horses. So I was thinking of sticking another 1.8L or even a 2.0L Block in there, GTi cam in a 1.8 head and keeping it all on the Weber carb with LPG. Easyish swap.

With this idea have I missed anything?

I'll need to move the dipstick, new sump pan. Not sure if I need to re jet the carb (Weber DMTL 32/34)

Any other pitfalls to watch out for?

The intention is simple. A relatively cheap and straight forward project that keeps my LPG conversion as it currently stands but I should see a decent and noticable lift in the power stakes. I suppose the option of new exhaust mainfold for bettr flow should also be considered.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
research continues.

2.0L Gti lump and head on the current carb could pull 120bhp. Becoming interesting!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
That's more than the 2.5i petrols 115hp, looks promising T:. They reckon a decent ex. manifold can give as much as +15 hp coupled with a decent freeflow exhaust.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes indeed. Most comes from the higher cylinder compression values. Question is how far do I want it to go flowed head, manifolds and exhausts etc.

I could get carried away if I'm not careful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts