VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am on the brink of purchasing a T4, (1.9 tdi, manual on a P plate).

I have been to look at the vehicle and all checks out, gears, suspension, breaks, electrics all good and the van drives very well; however, on checking the oil I have noticed that the oil (from the dip stick) is about twice as thick as I would expect. There is no water or any other foreign objects in the oil that I can detect. Current owner says van was serviced approx 8000 miles ago and seems honest enough.

Question is, why is the oil so thick and is it a sign of a more major issue ? :*

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

BGP

·
Registered
626 Posts
Oil thickness? How do you measure that? What would you expect? Its hard to describe.... Are you used to petrol engines? Diesel oil can sometimes be very black not long after changing, just par for the course....

-r0

·
Registered
483 Posts
yep, what he said. If your used to checking oil on more modern machinery it may seem a bit thicker, did you dip it when the engine was cold? if everything else checks out chances are it will be fine, these are all getting to be old van so just go into it with your eyes open. good luck on your new purchase *<:)>

·
Registered
231 Posts
Could be that the previous owner has topped up existing oil and mixed mineral with synthetic, when this happens it turns to a thick treackle like goup.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chaps,

Cheers for the quick reply,

I have a petrol Lotus elan M100 and change the oil every 8000 ish and a diesel Pug 306 (150K) and changed the oil about 40 K ago.

I am aware that the oil in the diesel does tend to be darker.

Viscosity is difficult to describe over the net; however, I am used to the pug oil which drips of the dip stick, the oil in T4 stays on the dipstick.

I tested the oil both at cold and full temp, although the oil got thinner with the heat, it still remained a lot thicker than I am used to.

I suppose it must be normal.

I am taking a bit of a gamble; however, thats half the fun.

Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thick treackle like goup, thats exactly how I would describe it.

Very interesting

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any other info about your pending purchase ? T:
LACHLAN13,

Red 800 special on about 140 K, P plate, drives lovely, just a little worried about the treakle in the sump !!

Ultimate plan to convert to a camper at some point in the future

Cheers *<:)>

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's no big issue, flush it out and do an oil and filter change run as normal and carry out another all will be ok im sure, don't run it the way it is as the filter is not doing it's job and you will be starving the top end.

One thing you should consider is why he has had the need to top it up so soon after a full service? It may be the garage used the wrong oil or the service prior, if this is the case you should be fine but make sure you ask plenty of questions then ask again further into your checks to see if he sticks to the same reply.

It is in our nature to spot a bull§h!tter so use those instincts and be the judge and juror, if there is any doubt just walk away.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
It's no big issue, flush it out and do an oil and filter change run as normal and carry out another all will be ok im sure, don't run it the way it is as the filter is not doing it's job and you will be starving the top end.

One thing you should consider is why he has had the need to top it up so soon after a full service? It may be the garage used the wrong oil or the service prior, if this is the case you should be fine but make sure you ask plenty of questions then ask again further into your checks to see if he sticks to the same reply.

It is in our nature to spot a bull§h!tter so use those instincts and be the judge and juror, if there is any doubt just walk away.
hadn't topped the oil up in 8000 miles I'd be more concerned!:*

·
Registered
231 Posts
hadn't topped the oil up in 8000 miles I'd be more concerned!:*
Sorry read it as 80 miles me bad, but still reckon the advice is pretty much ok, I deal with Gearboxes in my everyday job and see it daily where different grades and types of oils have been mixed and the outcome, vehicles are no different they just go go downhill quicker if left unchecked, Synth and mineral always contaminate one another, seen it look like black jelly before.

The chances are (like the other poster has said) within 8k miles that he has topped up and may have thought he was doing good by using top spec fully synthetic, how many small garages do you know that use the correct oil in a diesel engine (they would like to tell you they do) but most I know and visit use one grade for petrol and another for diesel "if your lucky" and thats as far as it goes, unless you know the garage well and it's reputation exceeds itself..

I always supply my own oil and hang around my vehicle during it's service to ensure it is used, sick of seeing cheap services being advertised, hell some are that cheap you have to ask what brand of oil is being poured in there as the oil is often more pricey than the parts...

Anyways back on topic:

If everything is sweet with the engine then just give it a good flush out and complete the job with new filters and fresh (correct) oil.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
If its not been converted, it'll only be a 1.9td not a tdi.

I wouldn't worry about the oil not being topped up, my 2.5 doesn't use a drop between services. But if the oil is thick and sludgy it might be old, also it'll appear thicker when it's cold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts