VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking of getting my alloys and side bars powder coated black there are a couple of scuffs around the lip, if i give them a bit of a sand will the powder coat sort the rest out??

or am i being an optimistic div

cheers for any advice

Dave

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you want a nice finnish I would pay to have the paint stripped then blasted off the wheels.
If you paint over the original paint there is a good chance it will react with something that is on the wheel that you can't see.
As for the side bars if they are bare metal just give them a sand down and wipe over with degreaser or paint thinners and they should be ok to paint.

Rob.

·
Registered
737 Posts
i know this sounds a bit random but how about plastic coating them?
i've always made my own paint, using polystyrene chippings into petrol, mix in a colour, leave for a few days in sealed tin till air bubbles come to surface.
paint on in well vetilated area.
the petrol which has acted as a catalyst in the first place to break the polystyrene down to its lowest form, simply evaporates and leaves the polystyrene behind but as coloured polythene.
it covers almost anything is completely impervious to rust, amazingly tough and cheap to boot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
been looking at getting my side bars done in black,people want £30 a side is that a fair deal,not had anything powder coated before...
:ILU:
If your bars are bare metal there will be minimal prep work to do so imho they are charging too much.
Best thing to do is what I do turn up at night (assuming they work shifts there) and ask one of the lads/foreman if they can get them done for you. It's allways cash and same day turnround.
I would gues they would charge £20-30 for both bars in any colour where I go.

·
Registered
294 Posts
i know this sounds a bit random but how about plastic coating them?
i've always made my own paint, using polystyrene chippings into petrol, mix in a colour, leave for a few days in sealed tin till air bubbles come to surface.
paint on in well vetilated area.
the petrol which has acted as a catalyst in the first place to break the polystyrene down to its lowest form, simply evaporates and leaves the polystyrene behind but as coloured polythene.
it covers almost anything is completely impervious to rust, amazingly tough and cheap to boot.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
spoke to a buddy of mine about the powder coating, he'll shot blast the wheels and bars and powder coat

wheels £30 each and bars £30 the pair.

looks like a bargain reckons it will take about a week

if anybody else wants theirs done pm me for the details

dave

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
been looking at getting my side bars done in black,people want £30 a side is that a fair deal,not had anything powder coated before...
:ILU:
:*due to my side bars rusting i had mine powdercoated black and they look great, mine were £30 each but saved me spending on a new set and black looks smart on my van, so to me money well spentT:

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
:*due to my side bars rusting i had mine powdercoated black and they look great, mine were £30 each but saved me spending on a new set and black looks smart on my van, so to me money well spentT:
yep spoke to you at t4fest about um and had a look at yours.just seems a bit dear,not to much work involved im lead to believe...:ILU:

·
Registered
5 Posts
for £30.00 a side i would make sure that they are going to zinc prime them first.
Powdercoat is good stuff but if you chip it the water will get under it and it will peel of in sheets. Make sure if you blast them that it leaves a profile or even the zinc primer will not stick. I would do them for you but am on short time at the moment and dont go back till september. If you are still stuck then and can get them to the forest i will do them for you.
Will be a top job as we do it for comercial truck components eveyday.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts