VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there!

Picked up my first T4 2.5 (AJT engine) just over a week ago, just got back from a week in Scotland in it. Not my first VW though, had a few of those, currently running a 91 Golf Mk2 GTD as well. Thought I'd join the appropriate forum, or should that be 'best forum...'? ;)

I got it from some guys in Taunton who deal in them- the jury's still out on them though as there were/are a few niggles with it. I'm not going to bore you all with them but one has me a little concerned....

The van starts and runs okay, just chucked a double dose of fuel system cleaner in it for luck, in my own experience they DO make a difference but I know everyone has an opinion about them. The issue is that when it revs past 3,000 rpm it suffers a sudden dip in power, from which it never recovers until the engine is stopped and restarted, once this is done it is usually okay. It's a pain on the motorway especially when it really struggles up even fairly gentle inclines, and there were a few of those in Scotland.....

When I picked it up the guy/salesman said that they had plugged it into a VW computer and it had detected an open circuit on the MAF sensor so it was changed (for a recon Bosch unit by the looks of it). They also said that the previous owner had complained of a lack of power but they had corrected the pump timing and it apparently fixed it.

Does anyone have an idea what this might be? Surely it can't be the MAF again, if it was there would be low power all the time? it seems possible that it has always had a power issue and nothing has cured it.

It has been a working van in it's previous life and I was wondering if some kind of 'anti-abuse' device was fitted to stop drivers nailing it everywhere and the first owners forgot to remove it when they sold it on?

Cheers for any thoughts on it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I've sent you a PM. Just had a look on eBay and VAG Com cables with software start at £7.99- didn't realise they were that cheap. I'm going to order one now and see how I get on.

Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, been busy this week....anyway, here's what came up when I plugged the cable & laptop in:

Chassis Type: 7D - VW Transporter
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,19,22,25,35,37,56

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Controller: 074 906 018 B
Component: 2,5l R5 EDC 0000SG 2519
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 22222
1 Fault Found:
17965 - Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation
P1557 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 17: Instruments Labels: Redir Fail!
Controller: 7D0 920 901 B
Component: T4-KOMBIINSTR. VDO V18
Coding: 01451
Shop #: WSC 35110
No fault code found.

Does anyone have an idea of what that means, is it referring to the fuel charge or the charge from the turbo?

Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just googled it and there is loads of info, feel stupid- should have checked that first I guess instead of hassling you guys. I'm going to try some Turbo cleaner stuff and see how I get on.

Cheers!

·
Registered
267 Posts
goodluck. having power issues myself except mine always under power. can be intermittent at times! really annoyin in a an overtakin manouevre where ill have it for a sec and then lose it before i get past the car!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, tried the 10k Diesel De-coke/PowerBoost stuff, defintely feels better but still exhibits the same symptoms. Next things to try are: Cycle the VNT, check binding on EGR valve, check N75, someone on a forum in the US cleaned the N75 and another valve he identified as 046 905 291A with some Sea Foam Deep Creep which solved it. I'll post how I get on.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Check the flexi pipes going into the turbo if they are split or one is off it will put you into limp mode.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for your replies, sorry for my tardy response.... The end result was that the N75 valve was faulty, the garage had removed and and tested it fully but when in situ it was misbehaving- bypassing it resulted in no problems so a new one was purchased and 10,000 miles later there are no problems so far.....

If anyone is onto Mk2 Golf Diesels I've just taken my Mk2 GTD off the raod for a strip down and rebuild, not sure what into yet- any inspirational suggestions welcome..... was thinking about doing some kind of OEM wolf in sheep's clothing for Hillclimbing.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts