VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've read threads on how to change the power steering belt and how it adjusts with shims WHEN you get the pulley off and it splits in two but I'm having issues getting the three 6mm allen bolts undone. I fiddled about with 6mm allen keys and allen sockets, tapping it etc but they are locked solid, I used a 9mm allen key to lock the pulley in the central hole and I reckon even that is made of toffee as its got some play now. So one 6mm bolt is rounded off from my efforts so I then tried tapping it around by putting a mark in the allen bolts side with a chisel then using an old blunt screwdriver but it didn't budge and I eventually took a toffee bolt slice off. Wondering really how to do it or what to try next. Heat is a bit dodgy what with belts and seals nearby, I've sprayed liberally with WD40 a few times over past few hours but didnt help though time might changes that but it's dark now so finished for the evening and thought to try here - any VW toffee bolt removing experts got any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
65 Posts
Couple of things,
You could heat them, take your time and you won't damage the other belts,
Or get a grinder/dremal type tool, cut a groove in and try a screwdriver,
Last option, grind the tops off, remove the belt, pulley ect, the heat again and remove with mole grips,
But really it shouldn't be too much of a problem,
Good luck with it
CraigT:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Craig, wonder if there is anything like a bolt remover that goes around the outside and bites into it, the larger diameter size might help undo them. I could try heat but concerned about cooking the pump or any seals or belts near it. Was hoping someone might say yeah pig of a job but 'this' is how to do it! Here's hoping that someone will spot the post!
Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts