VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm Ell and I have an 03 plate T4 2.5TDI manual swb
I went to the motor factors recently to buy the above power steering fluid for a top up that the garage told me to only put in. The motor factor sold me the bottle (white with a green lid)
I then went back there today to buy another bottle as I'm supposed to be replacing the rack this weekend and thought that I'd have more at the ready. Today they supplied me with the green bottle with red lid which confused me so I questioned it. They then told me with some assistant advice that T4's take the green bottle and T5's the white. The white bottle is mineral and the green synthetic. could this harm my pump as I only used it for a top up 150 miles ago?
Is what the factor telling me correct as I'm a bit suspect? How much fluid does the system take from dry?

Any advice will be welcomed, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
472 Posts
There's a general thought that the liquid colour that goes in the reservoir is shown by which top u have on the reservoir. Mines green so I use green power steering fluid. I used some febi stuff off ebay as it's the same as the vw stuff and it was about £4.50 delivered per litre.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
There's a general thought that the liquid colour that goes in the reservoir is shown by which top u have on the reservoir. Mines green so I use green power steering fluid. I used some febi stuff off ebay as it's the same as the vw stuff and it was about £4.50 delivered per litre.
VW just sell the one now which does both.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yeah it's supeceded the old stuff. Synthetic now as the old stuff wasn't. Both can be used but not together apparently. The local mechanic who changed my vans rack when my dad had the van used red ATF fluid. I changed it back to green mineral. Tools fair few litres to get it back to green again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts