VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

HELP! hope this is the right place to put this!

I have an intermittent fault on my power steering. It tends to only happen at low revs when manouvering, or on bumpy surfaces. I get the Battery light come on and the power steering goes dead. Sometimes if I rev the engine it comes back. once im moving again it never has any issues? I am told that the pump is hydraulic and so the local garage cant understand why the battery light would come on - I think its a warning light too is it?

Can anyon help - its doing me head in when manouvering - but as I say, its not all the time, just occasionally, so I dont know where to begin! Fluids are all topped up to the max with no apparent leaks!

CHeers

Ian T:

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Either your belt or the tensioner needs replacing, the same belt drives the alternator and when the belt slips the battery warning light will come on T:

If your local garage don't know that, not sure I would let them anywhere near it

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean the cam belt? Its a recently replaced engine, with new tensioners etc!!

Can it be adjusted then?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry if it sounds rediculous- I know nothing about engines at all!

Am I right in thinking the cam belt is on the other side of the engine? (I hope it is!!!)

I:

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
No not the cambelt, the auxiliary belt. It drives the power steering, alternator and air con compressor if you have one. The belt may have stretched or the tensioner for it is seized. They are both pretty cheap fixesT:.

May also be idle control if engine revs are dropping, but I would check above first.

if you get any oil on the belt it will slip as well so check that

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Either your belt or the tensioner needs replacing, the same belt drives the alternator and when the belt slips the battery warning light will come on T:

If your local garage don't know that, not sure I would let them anywhere near it
I'll second that !!!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that! was worried I might lose another engine if that went!

I do wonder why they hadnt worked that out.... useless!!!!

Cheers for the help - will see what they say! T:

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi i have problem with my power steering have had need pump two weeks go but ever time i turn slow right or left theres no pas fluid is ok too ??????????????????????????

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds like the belt is slipping. Mine did that after I cleaned my engine with gunk and hosed it down with water. It slipped once for a few seconds, squealed like a loose belt and has been fine for the last year or more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts